West Kelowna is a city of about 33,000 people (2016) in the Okanagan region of British Columbia. It is the fourth largest community in the valley and home to some of its best known wineries, including Mission Hill, Mount Boucherie and Quail's Gate.
Located on the west side of Okanagan Lake this stunning community offers lush trellised vineyards, mountain biking trails, hiking paths, skiing, beaches and spas.
Prior to incorporation in 2007, West Kelowna was commonly known as Westbank. The municipality is home to more than 25,000 people. Pride in the community's deep agricultural roots continues today with row upon row of orchards and vineyards and even the country's first nut farm.
British Columbia roads have been vulnerable to natural disasters such as major flooding in November 2021 and wildfires in August 2023. You can check with DriveBC for up-to-date road conditions and road restrictions after clicking the Major Events tab.
Most travellers will arrive in Westbank/West Kelowna by car. Highway 97 is the major highway through the community with Kelowna & Vernon to the north and Peachland, Summerland and Penticton to the south. Highway 97C (the Coquihalla Connector) also offers access to the community, which is the route most people from Vancouver travel.
The Kelowna International Airport is a 25-minute drive away in Kelowna.
There are several boat launches with parking facilities along the lakeshore, and they can get quite busy in the summer months.
By public transit
- BC Transit (Kelowna Regional Transit System), ☏ . Operates bus service in Lake Country, Kelowna, Peachland, and West Kelowna. Route 97 travels between Kelowna and West Kelowna multiple times daily. $2.50 cash fare.
- Bus route 22 operates between Peachland and West Kelowna.
- Bus route 97 is a limited stop frequent route. It travels between the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus (UBCO) and West Kelowna with stops in Rutland and downtown Kelowna. At most hours, it is the only option to cross Okanagan Lake between Kelowna, and West Kelowna and Peachland.
- BC Transit (South Okanagan-Similkameen Transit System), toll-free: . Operates bus route 70 Monday to Friday between Penticton and Kelowna (1 hours 20 minutes) with stops in Summerland, Peachland, and West Kelowna. From Penticton, routes are available to Osoyoos and Princeton.
- Wine tasting, as there are numerous local vineyard and wineries, including some of Canada's most well known wineries. See "Drink" section for local wineries.
- 1 Gellatly Bay Park, 4030 Gellatly Rd. Features swimming platforms and has some beach areas.
- 2 Mount Boucherie. A focal point of the community and an extinct volcano. Explore some of the trails while on the lookout for ancient lava river beds.
- 1 Westbank Towne Centre, 2475 Dobbin Road, ☏ . Daily 8AM-10PM, store hours vary. About 20 stores including Save-On Foods, BC Liquor Store, and Starbucks.
- 2 Westridge Shopping Centre, 2484 Main St, ☏ . In downtown West Kelowna at Highway 97 and Elliot Road (off Main Street). The Westbank Farmers’ Market is held here each summer. Anchored by Lordco, Pharmasave, and the Okanagan Regional Library.
- 1 Kekuli Cafe Westbank, 307-3550 Carrington Rd, ☏ . M-F 8AM-4PM, Sa Su 9AM-4PM. A locally owned Aboriginal cuisine cafe coffee shop, serving everything on bannock or with bannock (fried bread). Breakfast served all day, lunch & dinner. “Don’t panic… they have bannock!”.
- 2 Terrace Restaurant, 1730 Mission Hill Road (Mission Hill Winery), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Sep: Daily 11:30AM-8PM. Overlooking rows of Pinot Noir & Chardonnay set against the Okanagan Lake, this outdoor serves cuisine that is locally, sustainably, and seasonally sourced. Sustainable and bio-dynamic agricultural practices, including local foraging, organic farming, and the Vancouver Aquarium's OceanWise program.
Gentle winding roads, lush orchards, ripe vineyards and spectacular views will take you away to your wine tasting adventures. West Kelowna is proud to have seven wineries within its boundaries, with all offering a unique flavour and experience. From a winery that adorns a hilltop with mission style architecture and bells, to small farmgate organic wineries as well as the most photographed vineyard in the Okanagan, you are sure to find the perfect bottle of wine here. With an additional 22 wineries within a half hour drive, if wine touring is your thing, the area offers the perfect central location for a wine touring vacation.
- 1 Beaumont Family Estate Winery, 2775 Boucherie Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily noon-5PM.
- 2 Kalala Organic Estate Winery, 3361 Glencoe Road, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Feb 1-Mar 31: Tu-Sa 11AM-5PM; Apr 1-Oct 31: Daily 10AM-6PM; Nov 1-Dec 23: Tu-Sa 11AM-5PM; Dec 24-Jan 31: By appointment only.
- 3 Little Straw Vineyards, 2815 Ourtoland Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 10AM-6PM; last tasting is at 5:20PM, please make reservations 24-hours in advance.
- 4 Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, 1730 Mission Hill Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tours - May-Jun: daily 10AM-6PM, Jul-Aug: daily 10AM-8PM, Sep: daily 10AM-6PM, Oct-Apr: daily 11AM-6PM (call to reserve).
- 5 Mount Boucherie Estate Winery, 829 Douglas Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 11AM-6PM.
- 6 Quails' Gate Estate Winery, 3303 Boucherie Road, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Jan 1-May 20: Daily 11AM-6PM; May 21-Jun 30: Daily 10AM-7PM; Jul 1-Sep 3: Daily 10AM-8PM; Sep 4-Oct 10: Daily 10AM-7PM; Oct 11-Dec 31: Daily 11AM-6PM.
- 7 Rollingdale Winery, 2306 Hayman Road, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 1 Super 8 West Kelowna BC, 1655 Westgate Road, ☏ . Free continental breakfast buffet, free Wi-Fi Internet access, in-room coffee and tea, indoor pool, hot tub, and fitness room. From $93.
- 2 Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites, 3460 Carrington Road, toll-free: . Pet-friendly hotel, 24-hour fitness centre, business centre, waterslide, indoor pool and jetted hot tub. From $180.
- 3 Holiday Inn West Kelowna, 2569 Dobbin Road, toll-free: . Indoor/outdoor saltwater swimming pool, hot tub, fitness centre, free high-speed wireless Internet access, Business Centre, GK’s Restaurant & Lounge, room service, meeting/event rooms, in-house catering & free parking. From $139.
- 4 The Cove Lakeside Resort, 4205 Gellatly Rd, Westbank, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. A luxury all-suite resort with 100 one-, two- and three-bedroom condo-style suites, a spa, fitness centre, pet-friendly rooms, free parking and wi-fi, a private lakefront beach, two seasonal outdoor pools and a private marina. Peaceful waterfront setting and dramatic views of Okanagan Lake. From $180.
- 5 Towneplace Suites by Marriott West Kelowna, 3551 Carrington Road, ☏ , toll-free: .
- The nearest hospital is in Kelowna.
|Routes through West Kelowna|
|Vernon ← Kelowna ←||N S||→ Peachland → Penticton / Merritt via|