West Kirby is a small town on the Dee estuary. It has views across to Wales and Hilbre Island and a rare Marine Lake.
Caldy, Hoylake and Meols are adjacent villages along the coast.
- 1 Hoylake railway station.
Walk out to Hilbre Island or its smaller (and closer) outcrop, Little Eye (be VERY careful of tides - read guidance on signs near boathouse, at end of the Marine Lake).
The Marine Lake can be viewed from the lengthy Promenade, which has parking, plus benches to enjoy the often busy sailing activity.
The Old Village is quite pretty; visit St. Bridgets church, maybe walk through Ashton Park, which straddles the Wirral Way, itself a lengthy stroll along the bed of an old rail branchline, with fine views.
- Ashton Park, Westbourne Rd, CH48 4DH (about 10 minutes walk from West Kirby Station). The most northerly point of the Wirral Way. free.
- 1 Wirral Country Park, Station Road, Thurstaston, Merseyside TH61 0HN (The 22 (and 22a) bus routes run to Wirral Country Park, Thurstaston from Chester via Willaston, Neston and Heswall. The Wirral Way can be accessed from Hooton Train Station, where there is a gate on top of the bridge crossing the railway track. This is now the start of the Wirral Way at this end as it was extended from Hadlow Road to make it easier to access by train from Liverpool via the Merseyrail system. The Wirral Way is very popular with pedestrians, dog walkers, horse riders and cyclists.). Wirral Country Park features a 12 mile footpath following the line of the old West Kirby to Hooton Railway line offering superb views over the Dee Estuary to Wales. Today it is a must for a family day out and it's facilities include Visitor Centre, Bird Hide, Toilets, Picnic Areas, BBQ area, Café, and Green Shop. The Green Shop contains an information and sales desk where you can pick up leaflets, guides, books of special interest and information staff will be happy to assist you. You can access the beautiful beach from the bottom of Station Road or Tinkers Dell Steps.
- 2 Hoylake and West Kirby War Memorial.
Walk to Hilbre. Walk, run, cycle or horse ride the Wirral Way. Amble in Ashton park. Cycle to Liverpool along the coast path. Idle in one of many independent cafes.
- Wirral Sailing Centre (Marine Lake), South Parade, CH48 0QG, ☎ . Visit West Kirby. A Edwardian seaside town which is unspoilt by modern chains and offers views across to Wales and Hilbre Island as well as Coronation Gardens and a rare Marine Lake walk.
- Sand yachting in Hoylake.
- 1 Royal Liverpool Golf Club. founded in 1869
- Go swimming at West Kirby Concourse, The Concourse, Grange Rd, West Kirby, Wirral, (1 minutes walk from West Kirby Station) CH48 4HX.
- Hoylake RNLI Open Day, with the Red Arrows flight displays, End of August, North Parade, Hoylake (about 10 minutes walk from Hoylake station), CH47 2BB.
Really good bacon from Clarke's the butchers.
- At Loch Fyne. This is the old Ring O'Bells pub, sadly now converted into a rather pretentious seafood chain resto. But (good news), it is apparently going to returned to pub use, later in 2010
- Karma Restaurant, 9 Grange Road, CH48 4DY, ☎ .
- Ring O' Bells (Greene King), Village Road, CH48 7HE, ☎ .
- The Wro Lounge & Bar, 2 Grange Road, CH48 4HA, ☎ .
- Julian's, 20 Birkenhead Road, Hoylake, CH47 3BW, ☎ .
- The Quadrant, Hoylake.
Try the inevitable Wetherspoons, inside the old Dee Hotel, near the rail station - actually better than it used to be, when it was a 'real' pub!
Or, probably better, walk a few hundred yards up the hill, to find the White Lion pub, which is quite small but friendly & interesting.
Think the (in)famous Moby Dick is now back in action, after a period of closure but haven't been there yet - this is in the Old Village area.
- The Dee Hotel (JD Wetherspoons), West Kirby, CH48 4EF, ☎ .
- Vanilla Lounge, 6 Market Street,Hoylake CH47 3 (1 minute from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- Hoylake Lights (JD Wetherspoons), 52–54 Market Street,Hoylake CH47 3BB (10 minutes from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- The Cottage Loaf, Telegraph Road, Thurstaston, Wirral, CH61, ☎ .
- The Railway, 143-145 Birkenhead Road, Meols, CH47 6AA, ☎ .
Peel House is nearby.
Or, a bit further away, but easy in a car, stay at the Green Lodge pub in nearby Hoylake - reasonably priced, with pub-chain restaurant.
- 21 Park House, 21 Park Road, CH48 4DN, ☎ . £35+.
- Abbey House, 108 Meols Drive, CH48 5DA, ☎ . £150+.
- King's Gap Court Hotel, Stanley Road, Hoylake.
- 1 Marston's Green Lodge Hotel, 2 Stanley Road,,Hoylake CH47 1HW (5 minutes walk from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- 2 Holiday Inn Express Hoylake, The King's Gap ,Hoylake, ☎ .