The Wirral peninsula is situated across the River Mersey from Liverpool. It is accessed via one of two Mersey tunnels connecting Liverpool with Wallasey and Birkenhead. Wirral is a short drive away from Chester and North Wales to the south and is within one and a half hour's drive from the Lake District to the north. It forms one of the metropolitan boroughs of Merseyside.
- By road use the M53 motorway (via the M56 and the M6). Birkenhead (Queensway) and Wallasey (Kingsway) toll tunnels also connect the Wirral to Liverpool. You can also go on a guided tour through the Mersey foot tunnel on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday at 5PM and Saturday at 10AM.
- Under and Over the Mersey walk through the Mersey road tunnel takes place when the road tunnel is closed on Sunday 19th July.
- By train go to Hamilton Square Station (in Birkenhead) on the Wirral Line, via Chester Station or Liverpool Lime Street Station. Lime Street has a great service connecting you to the likes of London & Leeds.
- By coach (National Express) to Birkenhead.
- By Plane from John Lennon Airport, Liverpool
- Merseyrail (part of Merseytravel) provide the main train services in the Wirral with a dedicated Wirral Line, trains running every 15 minutes until midnight most days.
There is also the much less used Borderlands Line, where trains run only hourly, via stations Bidston, Upton, Heswall, Neston to North Wales terminating at Wrexham.
- Merseytravel operate buses across the Wirral. Birkenhead bus station has an information counter.
- Car rental, Hertz, 119 New Chester Rd, Birkenhead, (20 minutes walk from Green Lane Station) CH41 9BN.
- Bicycle rental, Liverpool Bicycle Co-operative Limited, Wirral Country Park (Book in advance!).
- 1 Tranmere Rovers Football Club (Prenton Park), Prenton Park, Prenton Rd West, Birkenhead, CH42 9PY (about 40 minutes walk from Rock Ferry station). Although this club has always lived in the shadow of Liverpool it has a long tradition and a great family atmosphere - well worth a visit
- Eastham Ferry and Eastham Country Park. Eastham Country Park lies approximately 1 mile from the M53 Motorway junction 5) and is reached locally by the A41 (New Chester Road) and Ferry Road via Eastham Village. Public Transport - the nearest Merseyrail Station is Bromborough (approximately 1 mile distance). A bus services is available along the A41 to Bromborough and Eastham Village to Eastham Ferry. Since the Middle Ages, a ferry service operated across the river Mersey between Eastham and Liverpool, the early ferries being run by monks from the Abbey of St. Werburgh. By the late 1700s, up to 40 coaches each day arrived at a newly built pier, carrying passengers and goods for the ferry. Paddle steamers were introduced in 1816 to replace the sailboats, but the demand for a service declined in the 1840s with the opening of a railway link between Chester and Birkenhead Woodside Ferry. In 1846, the owner of the ferry, Thomas Stanley, built the Eastham Ferry Hotel and shortly after, the Pleasure Gardens were added to attract more visitors. The gardens were landscaped with Rhododendrons, Azaleas, ornamental trees and fountains. Attractions included a zoo, with bears, lions, monkeys and antelope, an open air stage, tea rooms, bandstand, ballroom, boating lake, water chute and a loop-the loop roller coaster. Entertainers performed in the gardens during summer, and included Blondin, the famous tight-rope walker who once wheeled a local boy across a high wire in a wheelbarrow. In 1894, the Manchester Ship Canal was opened by Queen Victoria, bringing added prosperity to the area and a Jubilee Arch was built at the entrance to the Pleasure Gardens in 1897 to commemorate her Diamond Jubilee. In its heyday Eastham Ferry was known as the 'Richmond of the Mersey', but its popularity declined during the 1920s and the last paddle steamer crossing took place in 1929. The Pleasure Gardens fell into disrepair during the 1930s and the Iron pier and Jubilee Arch were later dismantled. In 1970, to commemorate European Conservation Year, the area was designated a Country Park and today, it is once more a popular place of recreation.
- New Brighton Fort Perch Rock, Marine Promenade, New Brighton, Wirral, CH45 2JU (4 minutes walk from New Brighton Station). a coastal defence battery built between 1825 and 1829. It was built to protect the Port of Liverpool and as a fortified lighthouse to replace the old Perch Rock Light. It was originally built on an area known as Black Rock and was cut off at high tide, but now coastal reclamation has made it fully accessible. It is currently open as a museum.
- Ness Botanic Gardens, Neston
- North Wirral Coastal Park (Leasowe Lighthouse), Moreton Common, Wirral, CH46 4TA (15 minutes walk from Moreton station). lighthouse open 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month between April and September. free.
- Brass Band Concert, every Sunday from 7th June to 6th September, The Bandstand in Vale Park, New Brighton, (about 45 minutes walk from New Brighton station) CH45 1HG.
- The Wirral Show, Early July, Kings Parade, Wallasey, (7 minutes walk from Wallasey Grove Road station) CH45 3PZ
- Hoylake RNLI Open Day, with the Red Arrows flight displays, End of August, North Parade, Hoylake (about 10 minutes walk from Hoylake station), CH47 2BB.
- Wirral International Guitar Festival, November at various venues.
- 2 Brimstage Hall Courtyard (Voirrey Embroidery, Maize Maze), Brimstage Wirral CH63 6JA, ☎ . Craft centre, playground and farmyard animals
The Wirral Way and Wirral Country Park
- The Wirral Way. The Wirral Way, a path on the track of an old railway, 12 miles long and goes from West Kirby to Hooton in mid-Wirral. It is situated within Wirral Country Park.
- 3 Wirral Country Park, Station Road, Thurstaston, Merseyside TH61 0HN (The 22 (and 22a) bus routes run to Wirral Country Park, Thurstaston from Chester via Willaston, Neston and Heswall. The Wirral Way can be accessed from Hooton Train Station, where there is a gate on top of the bridge crossing the railway track. This is now the start of the Wirral Way at this end as it was extended from Hadlow Road to make it easier to access by train from Liverpool via the Merseyrail system. The Wirral Way is very popular with pedestrians, dog walkers, horse riders and cyclists.). Wirral Country Park features a 12 mile footpath following the line of the old West Kirby to Hooton Railway line offering superb views over the Dee Estuary to Wales. Today it is a must for a family day out and it's facilities include Visitor Centre, Bird Hide, Toilets, Picnic Areas, BBQ area, Café, and Green Shop. The Green Shop contains an information and sales desk where you can pick up leaflets, guides, books of special interest and information staff will be happy to assist you. You can access the beautiful beach from the bottom of Station Road or Tinkers Dell Steps.
- Hadlow Road Station, Hadlow Road, Willaston, Ellesmere Port
- 4 Walled Garden (Royden Park), Hillbark Road, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ . free.
- 5 Cafe (Royden Park), Hillbark Road, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ .
- 6 Gallery (Royden Park), Hillbark Road, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ . free.
- 7 Miniature railway for older children (Royden Park), Hillbark Road, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ .
- 8 Miniature steam railway for children (Royden Park), Hillbark Road, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ .
- 9 Birkenhead Park (Visitors Centre), Park Drive, Birkenhead, CH41 4HY (5 minutes walk from Birkenhead Park Station), ☎ . designed by Joseph Paxton and opened on 5 April 1847. It is generally acknowledged as the first publicly-funded civic park in Britain. American landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted incorporated many of the features he observed into his design for New York's Central Park. free.
- 10 Wirral Transport Museum, 1 Taylor Street, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 1BG, ☎ . free.
- 11 Birkenhead Priory (St Mary's Tower), 4 Priory Street, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 5JH, ☎ . Wed to Sun afternoons. This former monastery dates back to when monks ferried passengers over the River Mersey and is the oldest building in Merseyside. free.
- Visit Birkenhead Shopping Precinct.
- 1 Bidston Windmill, 2 Vyner Road North, Birkenhead, Prenton, Merseyside, CH43 7PZ.
- 2 Wirral Rugby and Cricket Club, Thornton Common Road, Thornton Hough, Merseyside, CH63 4JU, ☎ . Visit Thornton Hough, a Victorian village with cricket green.
- 3 Williamson Art Gallery, Slatey Road, Oxton, Merseyside, CH43 4UE, ☎ . free.
- 4 Seacombe Ferry and Spaceport Terminal, Victoria Place, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH44 6QY, ☎ . Interactive science museum aimed at children and young adults but with enough to keep adults entertained too.
- 5 Woodside Ferry Terminal and Visitor Centre, Wirral Museum Office, Woodside, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 5JH (1 minute walk from Hamilton Square station), ☎ .
- 6 The U-Boat Story (Woodside Ferry Terminal and Visitor Centre), Wirral Museum Office, Woodside, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 5JH (1 minute walk from Hamilton Square station), ☎ .
- 7 Pacific Road Arts Centre, Pacific Road, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 1LJ (1 minute walk from Hamilton Square station).
- 8 Floral Pavilion Theatre, Virginia Rd, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH45 2LH.
- 9 The Odeon, Croft Retail & Leisure Park Welton Road Bromborough Wirral, CH62 3PN (25 minutes walk from Spital station). also has a ten-pin bowling alley
- 10 Vue Cinemas, Conway Park, Europa Boulevard, Birkenhead Wirral, Merseyside, CH41 4PE (1 minute walk from Conway Park Station).
- 11 The Light, Marine Point, New Brighton, CH45 2HZ (2 minutes from New Brighton station).
- Climb Thurstaston Hill, Thor's Stone, Sandstone outcrop, Thurstaston Common.
- Go swimming at West Kirby Concourse, The Concourse, Grange Rd, West Kirby, Wirral, (1 minutes walk from West Kirby Station) CH48 4HX.
- Go swimming at The Oval Sports Centre The Lodge Old Chester Road Bebington WIRRAL CH63 7LH.
- Go swimming at Europa Pools (wave machine, flumes and competition pool), 136 Conway St Birkenhead, (1 minute walk from Conway Park Station) CH41 6RN.
- Sustrans National Cycle Network road/track Route 56 runs through the Wirral and is signposted.
- Seacombe Ferry all the way to Wallasey Golf Course has a segregated cycle lane.
- Windsurfing at Marine Lake, West Kirby.
- Golf at Hoylake.
- Sand yachting at Hoylake.
- Sunlight Soap from Port Sunlight Village.
A cycle map of Wirral from any Local Council office. Shows the many Wirral Council cycling routes around the Wirral.
- North West Wirral route starts and finishes at Wirral Country Park, Thurstaston, (northwards) via Ashton Park, West Kirby, North Parade and Meols Parade.
- North East Wirral route starts and finishes at Seacombe Ferry Terminal, via Seacombe Promenade, Wallasey Town Hall and New Brighton Fort Perch Rock.
- South West Wirral route starts and finishes at Wirral Country Park, Thurstaston via Heswall Golf Course and Parkgate.
- South East Wirral route starts and finishes at Eastham Country Park, via Port Sunlight Village.
- 1 Mighty Mikes, 12, Mill Park Drive, Eastham CH62 9DL, ☎ . Fish & Chips and Chinese take-away, excellent quality. Closed Tuesdays.
- Nicholls Ice Cream, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston
- Mr. Chow's Chinese restaurant, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston
- 2 Country Mouse, Brimstage Hall, Brimstage, CH63 6JA, ☎ .
- 3 Gorge 'Us, 7 Church Road, Bebington, CH63 7PG, ☎ . 10:00 to 16:30.
- The Village Chef, 32 Town Lane, Little Neston, Neston, ☎ . 11:30AM - 1:30PM, 4:30PM to 10PM. With over 26 years experience, The Village Chef offers exceptional service and delicious takeaway food. The menu is one of the largest in the area, ranging from traditional fish and chips to a great range of Greek dishes. Meals from £5.20.
- 4 The Montgomery Pub and Kitchen, 47 Stanley Lane, Eastham (A41), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:30-23:00. In the heart of the original village opposite the church. Serves home cooked, locally sourced food in a relaxed homey environment. £.
- Peninsula Dining Rooms, 3 Grosvenor Road, New Brighton, CH45 2LW, ☎ .
- [dead link]The Derby Pool, Bay View Drive, Wallasey, CH45 3QS (5 minutes walk from Wallasey Grove Road station), ☎ .
- 5 Fraiche, 11 Rose Mount, Prenton, CH43 5SG, ☎ .
- 6 The Hillbark Hotel, Royden Park Frankby, CH48 1NP (45 minutes walk from West Kirby station), ☎ .
- [dead link]Ellie's Bistro, 126 Greasby Road, Greasby, Wirral, CH49 3NQ, ☎ . Perhaps the best bistro in west Wirral, wide selection of fresh coffees, wines and excellent food. Great food, wide range of wines, good atmosphere and live music on Thursdays.
- 7 Home, Woodside Ferry Terminal, Birkenhead, CH41 6DU, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 10:00 to 16:30.
- Oxton Bar & Terrace, Oxton, Wirral, CH43 5TQ, ☎ .
- The Yellow Room (Hillbark Hotel), Royden Park, Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ .
- Julian's, 20 Birkenhead Road, Hoylake, CH47 3BW, ☎ .
- The Portrait House, The Quadrant, Hoylake.
- Zinga Restaurant & Takeaway (free home delivery within 4 miles), 137 Saughall Massie Road, Upton, CH49 4LA, ☎ .
Almost all of these serve food as well.
- The Derby Pool, Bay View Drive, New Brighton, CH45, ☎ .
- The Royal Oak, Bromborough, CH62 7EZ, ☎ .
- [dead link]The Chronicle, 6D Church Road, Bebington, CH63 7PH, ☎ .
- The Railway, 143-145 Birkenhead Road, Meols, CH47 6AA, ☎ .
- The Irby Mill, Greasby, CH49 3NT, ☎ . A small traditional country pub, with a thatched roof. Serves a good selection of real ales.
- The Caernarvon Castle, Bidston Road, Prenton, CH43 2JZ, ☎ .
- The Brass Balance (JD Wetherspoons), 39-45 Argyle Street, Birkenhead, CH41 6AB, ☎ .
- The Cherry Orchard, Arrowe Park Road, Arrowe Park, Upton, CH49 5LW, ☎ .
- The Twelfth Man, Greasby Road, Greasby, Wirral CH49 2PP, ☎ .
- The Fox and Hounds, Barnston Village, ☎ . A distinctly homely atmosphere exists in the two bars and snug.
- The Cottage Loaf, Telegraph Road, Thurstaston, Wirral, CH61, ☎ .
- The Arrowe Park Hotel, Arrowe Park Road, Woodchurch, Birkenhead, Wirral, Merseyside CH49 5LN, ☎ .
- The Manor, Greasby.
- Vanilla Lounge, 6 Market Street Hoylake, Wirral Merseyside CH47 3 (1 minute from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- Hoylake Lights (JD Wetherspoons), 52–54 Market Street Hoylake, Wirral Merseyside CH47 3BB (10 minutes from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- The Old Quay, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston, CH64 6SB, ☎ .
- The Boathouse, 1 The Parade, Parkgate, Neston, ☎ .
- 1 The Chimneys, Hooton Green, Hooton. CH66 5ND, ☎ .
- [dead link]The Hooton, Hooton Road, Hooton, CH66 7NL, ☎ .
- The Wheatsheaf, Neston Road, Neston, CH64 4AP, ☎ . Not to be confused with the Wheatsheaf Inn which is within a couple of miles
- The Burleydam, Chester Rd, Childer Thornton, Ellesmere Port, CH66.
- Hinderton Arms Chester High Road Neston
- Nag's Head, Hooton Road, Willaston CH64 1SJ, ☎ .
- The Bridge Inn, Bolton Road, Port Sunlight, Wirral, CH62 4UQ, ☎ .
- The Dibbinsdale, Dibbinsdale Rd, Wirral, Merseyside, CH63 0HJ, ☎ .
- 1 The Hillbark Hotel, Royden Park Frankby, CH48 1NP, ☎ . Grade II listed hotel provides the finest luxury coupled with discreet yet friendly service from the resident owners and their team. £160+.
- King's Gap Court Hotel, Stanley Road, Hoylake.
- 3 Marston's Green Lodge Hotel, 2 Stanley Road, Hoylake, Wirral, CH47 1HW (5 minutes walk from Hoylake station), ☎ .
- 4 Premier Inn Wirral Greasby, 1 Greasby Road, Wirral, CH49 2PP (Next to the Twelfth Man Pub), ☎ . £53+.
- 5 The RiverHill Hotel and Bay Tree Restaurant, Oxton Old Hall, Talbot Rd, Prenton, CH43 2HJ, ☎ . £69.50+.
- The Ship Hotel, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston
- Thornton Hall Hotel and Spa, Liverpool Rd, Neston
- 6 Travelodge Wirral Bromborough, Pool Lane, Bromborough, CH62 4UE, ☎ . Opening Autumn 2009
- 7 Travelodge Wirral Eastham, 1408 New Chester Road, Eastham, Merseyside, CH62 9AQ, ☎ . £56.
- Village Hotel Wirral, Pool Ln, Bromborough Pool, Wirral, CH62 4UE (20 minutes walk from Port Sunlight station), ☎ . A 4 star hotel with 117 modern furnished bedrooms, Italian restaurant, swimming pool, spa and sauna as well as business facilities. £69+.
- Liverpool One Shopping Centre, 44 St John Street, Liverpool, Liverpool, (10 minutes walk from Lime Street Station or Central Station) L1 8BJ.
- Met Quarter Designer Shopping Centre, 35 Whitechapel, Liverpool, Merseyside, (5 minutes walk from Lime Street Station) L1 6DA.
- Albert Dock (including the Beatles Story and the Maritime Museum), Liverpool, (10 minutes walk from James Street station) L70.