North America > Canada > British Columbia > Thompson-Okanagan > Okanagan > West Kelowna
West Kelowna is a city of about 33,000 people (2016) in the Okanagan region of British Columbia. It is the fourth largest community in the valley and home to some of its best known wineries, including Mission Hill, Mount Boucherie and Quail's Gate.
Located on the west side of Okanagan Lake this stunning community offers everything a vacationing heart desires. Lush trellised vineyards, mountain biking trails, hiking paths, skiing, beaches and spas - there are enough activities here to keep you busy all year round. Prior to incorporation in 2007, West Kelowna was commonly known as Westbank. The municipality is home to more than 25,000 people who call this beautiful, safe and healthy community their home. While the business sector is nurtured and growing its history and past is not forgotten. Pride in the community's deep agricultural roots continues today with row upon row of orchards and vineyards and even the country's first nut farm. West Kelowna is proud of its community neighbours and in particular the relationship that the community has with the Westbank First Nation, one of Canada's most progressive First Nation Bands. Economic growth and prosperity for the area is a result of this strong relationship. Whether you visit during the hot summers or the power ridden winters, there is a little something for everyone!
Most travellers will arrive to Westbank/West Kelowna by car. Highway 97 is the major highway through the community with Kelowna & Vernon to the north and Peachland, Summerland and Penticton to the south. Highway 97C (the Coquihalla Connector) also offers access to the community, which is the route most people from Vancouver travel.
The Kelowna International Airport is a 25-minute drive away with daily service to several cities including Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Toronto, as well as Victoria.
There is no train service available, but Greyhound buses serves the community and Westbank/West Kelowna is also part of a regional public transportation service.
There are several boat launches along the lakeshore with parking facilities and they can get quite busy in the summer months.
- Kelowna Regional Transit System operates several routes in West Kelowna, including Route 97, which goes to Kelowna seven days a week. $2.50 cash fare (2018).
Gentle winding roads, lush orchards, ripe vineyards and spectacular views will take you away to your wine tasting adventures. West Kelowna is proud to have seven wineries within its boundaries, with all offering a unique flavour and experience. From a winery that adorns a hilltop with mission style architecture and bells, to small farmgate organic wineries as well as the most photographed vineyard in the Okanagan, you are sure to find the perfect bottle of wine here. With an additional 22 wineries within a half hour drive, if wine touring is your thing, the area offers the perfect central location for a wine touring vacation.
- Beaumont Family Estate Winery - 2775 Boucherie Rd
- Kalala Organic Vineyards - 1361 Glencoe Rd
- Little Straw Vineyards - 2815 Ourtoland Rd
- Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, 829 Douglas Rd (follow Boucherie Road for 5 km and turn right onto Mission Hill Road, and follow it to the top of the hill), ☎ . Tours - May-Jun: daily 10AM-6PM, Jul-Aug: daily 10AM-8PM, Sep: daily 10AM-6PM, Oct-Apr: daily 11AM-6PM (call to reserve).
- Mount Boucherie Estate Winery - 829 Boucherie Rd
- Quails's Gate Estate Winery - 3303 Boucherie Rd
- Rollingdale Winery - 2306 Hayman Rd
- Mt.Boucherie. A focal point of the community and an extinct volcano. Explore some of the trails while on the lookout for ancient lava river beds.
- Westbank Towne Centre, 2475 Dobbin Rd, ☎ . Daily 8AM-10PM, store hours vary. About 20 stores including Save-On Foods, BC Liquor Store, and Starbucks.
- Westridge Shopping Centre, 2484 Main St, ☎ . In downtown West Kelowna at Highway 97 and Elliot Road (off Main Street). The Westbank Farmers’ Market is held here each summer. Anchored by Lordco, Pharmasave, and the Okanagan Regional Library.
- New Moon Gallery, 1726 Byland Rd, ☎ . M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-4PM. A gallery of original artwork and a working studio. Paintings, photography, sculptures in soapstone and alabaster, wood turned bowls, pottery and jewellery.
- Kekuli Cafe Westbank, 307-3550 Carrington Rd, ☎ . M-F 8AM-4PM, Sa Su 9AM-4PM. A locally owned Aboriginal cuisine cafe coffee shop, serving everything on bannock or with bannock (fried bread). Breakfast served all day, lunch & dinner. “Don’t panic… they have bannock!”
- Terrace Restaurant (at the Mission Hill Winery), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Overlooking rows of Pinot Noir & Chardonnay set against the Okanagan Lake, this outdoor serves cuisine that is locally, sustainably, and seasonally sourced. Sustainable and bio-dynamic agricultural practices, including local foraging, organic farming, and the Vancouver Aquarium's OceanWise program. Open mid-May to Sep.
- Krasna Indian Cuisine, 117-3640 Gosset Road, ☎ . Tu-F 11:30AM-1:30PM 4:30PM-9PM; Sa Su 4:30PM-9PM. Authentic Indian cuisine (Asian, not the other kind - for that you want Kekuli, above). Mains $12-15.
- Super 8 West Kelowna BC, 1655 Westgate Rd, ☎ . Free continental breakfast buffet, free Wi-Fi Internet access, in-room coffee and tea, indoor pool, hot tub, and fitness room. From $93.
- Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites, 3460 Carrington Rd, toll-free: . Pet-friendly hotel, 24-hour fitness centre, business centre, waterslide, indoor pool and jetted hot tub. From $180.
- Holiday Inn West Kelowna, 2569 Dobbin Rd, Hwy 97, toll-free: . Indoor/outdoor saltwater swimming pool, hot tub, fitness centre, free high-speed wireless Internet access, Business Centre, GK’s Restaurant & Lounge, room service, meeting/event rooms, in-house catering & free parking. From $139.
- The Cove Lakeside Resort, 4205 Gellatly Rd, Westbank, ☎ , toll-free: . A luxury all-suite resort with 120 one-, two- and three-bedroom suites, a spa, a private lakefront beach, two seasonal outdoor pools and a private marina. Peaceful waterfront setting and dramatic views of Okanagan Lake. From $235.
|Routes through West Kelowna|
|Kamloops ← Kelowna ←||N S||→ Peachland → Penticton|