Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Abbie Gardner Cabin, Arnolds Park (N of Spencer on US-71), ☏ . Memorial Day weekend-Sep M-F noon-4PM, Sa Su 9AM-4PM. A fatal encounter between Wahpekute Dakota Indians and settlers is at the forefront of this site, one of the locations etched in the history of the "Spirit Lake Massacre." Abbie Gardner was a 13-year old killed in the skirmish. Also learn about the Dakota leader Inkpadutah. Built in 1856 and listed on National Register of Historic Places. Free.
- 2 Grotto of the Redemption, 208 1st Avenue NW, West Bend, toll-free: , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Outdoor grotto is always open. The largest man-made grotto, or artificial cave, in the world, this site was built by a Catholic priest over a span of 40 years as a place for prayer and reflection. On the National Register of Historical Places. Free.
- 3 Kaleidoscope Factory, 214 N Main St, Pocahontas, IA 50574 (40 miles northwest of Fort Dodge, just a few miles north of where you'd be driving on your way from Fort Dodge to Storm Lake.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu–Sat 10AM–3PM, usually. Watch the artisan–owner make wooden kaleidoscopes. For $45, you can choose your own materials for a customized egg-shaped kaleidoscope that is cut and assembled while you watch. Tour groups welcome, but it's a good idea to contact the shop to let him know when to expect you.
- 1 Arnolds Park Amusement Park, 37 Lake St, Arnolds Park, IA 51331, ☏ , toll-free: . Late May to early September. About 30 rides, including a carousel and one of the oldest wooden roller coasters in the United States. Get a Nutty Bar while you're there. It's ice cream on a stick, coated in chocolate and rolled in chopped peanuts. $30 and up. ,
- 2 Boji Splash Indoor Waterpark. - located in Arnolds Park
- Okoboji Brewing Company. Has a dominant presence in the area, as far as local brewers go.