- Pierowall, the main centre, near the north of the island,
- Rapness, the main port at the south end,
Twice daily Loganair flights link Pierowall with Kirkwall. These flights also stop at Papa Westray just across the bay, making it the shortest scheduled flight in the world at just two minutes duration!
A minibus from M&J Harcus +44 1857 677450, can be arranged to meet the ferry at Rapness to take you to Pierowall and vice versa. Telephone in advance or arrange on the ferry.
Cycling is a good way to get around the island. Hire can be arranged by:
- Sand O'Gill, Pierowall, +44 1857 677374.
- Twiness, +44 1857 677319.
- Rapness Manse, Rapness +44 1857 677494.
- Noup Head - impressive cliffs and headland about 4km north-west of Pierowall, home to thousands of nesting birds including Kittiwakes and Puffins during the summer.
- Noltland Castle - attractive ruined castle about 1km west of Pierowall.
- An Artists Studio in Pierowall.
- Visit the Westray Heritage Centre in Pierowall for traditional crafts and local history, plus a small café.
- Bis Geo Hostel (2 km west of Pierowall.), ☎ . Excellent youth hostel, with a lounge/conservatory giving views along the coast.
- The Barn, Chalmersquoy, ☎ . Very good hostel. bed £22 pppn.
- The Kilnmans Cottage (Pierowall). Self catering cottage sleeping 4 £40 per night, £220 per week.
- Pierowall Hotel, +44 1857 677208.
Eat & Drink
- Pierowall Hotel. Reputedly the best fish & chips in Orkney, plus other bar & restaurant food.
There are a couple of mini-markets in Pierowall to stock up in. There is also a potters in Pierowall
- Hume Sweet Home. Knitwear and souvenir shop in Pierowall.
- Papa Westray - get away from it even more on a day trip to the neighbouring island.