Whitianga is a beach town on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, on the north-eastern coast of the North Island of New Zealand. It is an excellent base to explore the east coast beaches and is a popular destination for visitors from Auckland and overseas.
Intercity Coachlines operate NZ's national bus network with daily departures. Tickets can be purchased online or throughout the country at numerous agents including the i-site network.
The Whitianga passenger ferry runs continuously across Whitianga Harbour, between the Whitianga wharf on the Esplanade in the township and Ferry Landing on the Cook's Beach side.
- Cathedral Cove, where the 2nd Chronicles of Narnia Film was filmed. Be sure to take your camera – you will recognize the arch!
- Banana Boat, ☎ . Run by Steve and Kali Young at Buffalo Beach. Everyday between Boxing Day and 1 February. Fall off on the Hellbender or take the more relaxing Scenic ride. Great Value! $10-$30.
Be sure to bring a sweater. It can be chilly sometimes. Also try to book in advance if there is anything you really want to do.
- Coromandel – historic town
- Tairua – very scenic location
- Hot Water Beach, a popular and busy tourist destination. Water from two hot springs comes up through the sand within two hours each side of low tide, and you can dig your own hot pool. Spades for hire at the cafes for $5. Signposted from the road south of Whitianga.