Wikivoyage:French Wikivoyage Expedition
|This page is no longer active and is retained for historical reference. Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. Do not assume content on this page is still correct or up-to-date.|
The French Wikivoyage Expedition is an expedition to create a French language version of Wikivoyage which would effectively be the second multilingual version of Wikivoyage. It started on February 12, 2004.
For more information on Multilingual Wikivoyage Policy, see Project:Language version policy.
French is an important international language, being spoken in not only France and neighboring Switzerland and Belgium, but also Québec, several African countries, Laos, and some islands in Polynesia. A travel guide in French will make the world more accessible to Francophones.
The French Wikivoyage has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of French users willing to take this project further
- To translate and localize the English Wikivoyage into French.
- To create quality articles that will appeal to Francophone travellers, wherever they come from.
- To link these articles to English and Romanian versions and create an integrated multilingual Wikivoyage.
- To empower other language groups to form their own Wikivoyage.
- To contribute to English Wikivoyage with quality articles about France, Switzerland, Québec, and anywhere else French is spoken.
See also Project:Language version policy for more information about the procedure of forming a French Wikivoyage.
Completed: Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 5 French-speaking users willing to contribute to French Wikivoyage.
Please add your name below, by editing this page, if you support this project. You must have a valid user account with Wikivoyage.
I agree to forming the French Wikivoyage and am willing to contribute:
- (WT-en) Pierre Abbat 17:07, 22 Dec 2003 (PST)
- (WT-en) Mark 10:58, 15 Jan 2004 (EST)
- (WT-en) Yann 14:32, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- (WT-en) Pontauxchats 07:56, 20 Jan 2004 (EST)
- (WT-en) nikolai35 18:35, 5 Feb 2004 (EST)
After we have gathered a team of five or more users for French Wikivoyage, the interface localization file will be translated (or modified from the one on Wikipedia), checked for correctness, and then we will vote for a go-between.
The localization file is at Project:LanguageFr.php; an initial version based on the French Wikipedia interface file is already at that spot. For comparison, the English file is at Project:LanguageEn.php. Major things to watch for:
- Replacing "Wikipedia" with "Wikivoyage"
- Differences in license policy (GFDL versus CC by-sa)
Choosing a go-between
In order to make a successful, integrated French Wikivoyage, we need to choose one of the five users who put their names down, and make them a go-between. The role of the go-between will be to act as a liaison between English and French Wikipedia, and therefore, he must be able to:
- Write English and French well
- Understand Wikivoyage ideals, guidelines, goals and policies
- Make monthly reports about French Wikivoyage to English Wikivoyage
- Make monthly reports about English Wikivoyage to French Wikivoyage
- Contribute actively in French Wikivoyage
The go-between will be chosen the democratic way: via voting
The five candidates for go-between are the users listed below. If you would like to vote one of these people, please put your username next to their name, in the Votes for section. If you would like to make a vote against someone, please write your username next to their name in the Votes against line and then a reason for this. To win, a go-between must have two votes for them, and no votes against them. Only people who nominated themselves under the "Gathering a team" section can vote. And remember, you cannot vote for yourself.
Pick a user who you would like to see as go-between:
- Vote for (WT-en) Pierre Abbat
- Vote for (WT-en) Mark
- Votes for:
- Votes against: (WT-en) Mark
- Vote for (WT-en) Yann
- Vote for (WT-en) Pontauxchats
- Votes for:
- Votes against:(WT-en) Pontauxchats [je ne parle pas assez bien l'anglais]
- Vote for (WT-en) nikolai35
Voting will finish only once person listed above has voted - that is, Pierre, Mark, Yann, Pontauxchats, and Nikolai. Therefore, please put in your votes as soon as possible, because the Wikivoyage in French will becoming online sooner.
It would also be nice, but is not necessary, to have a go-between between the French Wikivoyage and the Romanian Wikivoyage.