Wikivoyage talk:Polish Wikivoyage Expedition
How did Polish Wikivoyage come to exist? There's no expedition for it. Or maybe i've missed out something. 22.214.171.124 09:44, 12 Aug 2004 (EDT) (Ronline) sorry for not logging in ;-)
- I get 404 trying it. What URL did you see a Polish Wikivoyage at? -(WT-en) phma 16:07, 14 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Actually, NOW it goes to the new, but not yet launch, Polish Wikivoyage Wiki. --(WT-en) Evan 20:34, 1 March 2006 (EST)
I'm Polish, but for now I would rather prefer to spend my WikiTravel hours on extending English version. But if there will be some strong need for sombody who will help working on Polish WikiTravel, I'm ready to help developing.
In any case dont bother to contact me -- (WT-en) JanSlupski 22:36, 13 Jan 2005 (EST)
- I'm not sure what that means. Are you the go-between? I'm ready to start pl: when you folks are. I think it'd be great! --(WT-en) Evan 22:44, 23 February 2006 (EST)
- Well, there were no discussion about go-between yet. I believe it should be choosen up agreement of the team. I'll send emails to guys asking to comment on that. --(WT-en) JanSlupski 09:47, 24 February 2006 (EST)
Confirm & let's start
Cześć, Jakiś czas temu zgłosiłeś (zgłosiłaś?) chęć współtworzenia polskiej wersji Wikivoyage. Ponieważ zebrało się 5 zgłoszeń możemy zacząć... Potwierdź proszę czy nadal masz ochotę pracować nad "Wikipodróżami". http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_talk:Polish_Wikivoyage_Expedition Jeśli co najmniej 3 osoby (mam nadzieje na 5...) potwierdzą swój udział, powinniśmy: * wybrać łącznika (go-between) * przetłumaczyć (no, poprawić) polski interface * podzielić się pracą przy tłumaczniu podstawowych (meta) dokumentów -- Hi, Some time ago you have expressed your will to codevelop Polish version of Wikivoyage. Because there is 5 people on the list, we can start now... Please confirm you still want to work on Polish Wikivoyage http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_talk:Polish_Wikivoyage_Expedition If at least 3 of us (hope it will be 5) confirm, we should: * choose go-between * translate (well, fix) Polish interface * divide work of translating basic (meta) documents Pozdrawiam, Jasiek Słupski
--(WT-en) JanSlupski 10:02, 24 February 2006 (EST)
I agree with JanSlupski's nomination for the go-between.
I will do as much as time permits to help translate the Polish interface and the basic documents.
--(WT-en) MD 16:55, 24 February 2006 (EST)
Xwietnie, zaczynamy po polsku. Cool, let's start in polish. (WT-en) S0568354 14:03, 27 February 2006 (EST)
- Sounds good to me. There hadn't been any activity on Project:LanguagePl.php, which is too bad because it looks like there are a lot of "GNU FDL" and "Wikipedia"-like strings in there. But we can edit it using Special:Allmessages on the launched site, too.
- Speaking of which: I've got pl:Strona główna set up, with editing locked. It'll take me about 2 seconds to unlock it once I hear from a go-between that it's time to get started.
- There's also wikivoyage-pl mailing list set up, which isn't at all locked, and might be a good way to start discussions.
- Good luck to pl: -- I'm hoping it becomes our 10th Wikivoyage language version! --(WT-en) Evan 14:54, 27 February 2006 (EST)
- Ah, sorry. There's a feature in MediaWiki (the wiki software we use, also used by Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects) that lets administrators of the site change the little bits of text (like menus, button labels, tab labels) using the same editing mechanism as for editing pages. There's a good writeup for it here.
- It would be nice if someone would look through the Project:LanguagePl.php file and change the instances of "Wikipedia" (or something like it) to "Wikivoyage" (or something like it), but nobody's done that yet. So far, people in language version expeditions have been very eager to start the new language version and have skipped over doing the crucial step of translating the interface file. Anyways, even if we leave in lots of "Wikipedia" language, we can change it with this feature I was talking about.
- The reason I called it the "Special:Allmessages" feature is that that's the page you start with when editing the interface info. I don't think it will work until the site has editing enabled, though. --(WT-en) Evan 20:03, 28 February 2006 (EST)
- I have done some editing of language file. Mostly changing Wikipedia to Wikipodróże what is only Polish form of Wikivoyage I could think of. Also changed a bit (comparing to Wikipedia's) namespace naming convention (eg. Rozmowa instead of Dyskusja_Wikipedysty or O_grafice instead of Dyskusja_grafiki). If anybody think it is not right, we can revert it. Further fixes we can do on runtime with mechanism described by Evan. --(WT-en) JanSlupski 16:17, 8 March 2006 (EST)
- Ok, I believe that we should try to start now. I thought it would be good to have a few (meta) articles done before unlocking the pl portal, but actually it can be easier to coordinate doing translations in their destination. So, Evan, please unlock the Polish Wikivoyage and we will advertise official start after we have some basics done. --(WT-en) JanSlupski
Choosing a go-between
In order to make a successful, integrated Polish Wikivoyage, we need to choose one of the five (or three)users who put their names down, and make them a go-between. The role of the go-between will be to act as a liaison between English and Polish Wikivoyage, and therefore, he/she must be able to:
- Write English and Polish well
- Understand Wikivoyage ideals, guidelines, goals and policies
- Make monthly reports about Polish Wikivoyage to English Wikivoyage
- Make monthly reports about English Wikivoyage to Polish Wikivoyage
- Contribute actively in Polsih Wikivoyage
The go-between will be chosen by voting
The five candidates for go-between are the users listed below. If you would like to vote one of these people, please put your username next to their name, in the Votes for section. If you would like to make a vote against someone, please write your username next to their name in the Votes against line and then a reason for this. To win, a go-between must have two votes for them, and no votes against them. Only people who nominated themselves under the "Gathering a team" section can vote. And remember, you cannot vote for yourself.
Pick a user who you would like to see as go-between:
- Vote for (WT-en) JanSlupski
- Thanks for your trust. I agree to become go-between for one month. I would like that we repeat the procedure of choosing go-between after that period. It may turn out that I'm too busy, and/or that there are other people involved that will be better for that position. --(WT-en) JanSlupski 16:09, 8 March 2006 (EST)
- Gar! Three weeks later, I see this message! Wikivoyage pl: is now installed and read-write (with the new language file) with JanSlupski as go-between. Let's get this started. --(WT-en) Evan 09:52, 31 March 2006 (EST)
Files that needs to be translated on the beggining...
We need to prioritize these files (size needs to be taken into account too), and have some of them translated before we officially start.
Language file LanguagePl.php (partially done)
- FAQ (low priority)
- About (short, high priority)
- Goals and non-goals (high priority)
- Community policies
- Neutral point of view
- Help wanted
- Manual of style
- Geographical hierarchy
- What is an article? (short, high priority)
- Article naming conventions
- Article templates (high priority for a few main templates)
and a few huge tasks...
- Manual of style
- Main Page
I admit, I mostly blindly copy-pasted this and didn't copy-paste all. Hope just to start discussion of what is important --(WT-en) JanSlupski 16:41, 8 March 2006 (EST)
- Cześć everyone. I'd love to help with the translation but unfortunately my polsku equals zero. I have, however, followed language versions for a while and we have just started a Portuguese-language Wikivoyage, so maybe I could give some pieces of advice for the new starting versions.
- First, I wouldn't say it's necessary to translate all those pages before kickoff. It would probably be much easier to have people helping out with translations once the version is launched. AFAIK, all other language versions have done so. Have some core pages in Polish (your high priority stuff, especially About, Copyleft, Welcome, newcomers, Geographical hierarchy and the Main Page, of course). Then get at least the quick version of templates translated - they are almost self-explanatory, you can add details later. By the way, try and have some discussion about the translation of templates, because once they're set and start being used, it'll be a pain in the arse to track down and modify the articles if the templates are changed.
- During the first month, you can put some extra effort on the translation of the other policies and the manual of style. Pl: will probably start running smoothly like all other versions, so you don't have to worry too much about cleaning any "mess" people might cause before the manual and policies are set.
- As for the Main Page, two hints: 1) You don't have to copy en: ipsis literis - maybe you'll want to group Central America and the Caribbean in one region, maybe you don't want to have Other destinations or phrasebooks on the front page right now etc. 2) Perhaps you won't want to start the Destination of the Month feature right away, because you can't ensure you'll have full articles to show off during the first weeks. Or maybe you can...
- Finally, whoever takes up that task, don't be scared about the go-between role. Just check once in a while what people have been doing and talking about and once a month just tell us - poor souls who can't read Polish - in a few sentences what's been going on. Not that complicated or time-consuming, really. Admin status will give you some extra work, but have in mind that you don't have to run Wikivoyage by yourselves - it's a collective creation. Everyone else should write and translate articles, check copyright violations, propose and vote pages for deletion, etc. It shouldn't be a one-man job, so take it easy.
- Polish is one of the largest versions of Wikipedia and I'm sure you'll make a great travel guide here too. Congratulations to everyone for your efforts and good luck, (WT-en) Ricardo (Rmx) 19:05, 10 March 2006 (EST)
So, after seeing the above vote, and its apparent conclusion, I've unlocked pl: and the site's ready to go. I didn't set up a main page since I don't know polish, so there isn't one on the site yet. Once there's a main page, it'd be great to announce this new version of Wikivoyage (number 10!) on the Main Page and in the Project:Logbook. --(WT-en) Evan 10:32, 31 March 2006 (EST)
- Great, I was going to bump this discussion yesterday, so it's good to see its ready. Good luck to the new sister Wikivoyage! (WT-en) Ricardo (Rmx) 11:17, 31 March 2006 (EST)
I have noticed the translation schedule has been long abandoned. Therefore I decided to finish it. Please help me, stop me, correct me, kill me, whatever. I have already done some of pl:Project:Tłumaczenie. From what Rmx suggested above we're still lacking anything from Manual of style. Thus completely free-style format of some of quater thousand articles we've already got. Templates - dicussed last year among (sorry) i.e. between 2 people User:(WT-en) JanSlupski and pl:User:(WT-pl) Msienkie. Then extra load of section headers by pl:User:(WT-pl) Msienkie without discuss. I find those after-input compeletely irrelevant, but it's only my opinion. And nobody to discuss it with now. Anyway, I would welcome any hints what to start with from Manual of style sections. Any other kind of help also appreciated. (WT-en) LukeWestwalker ⇔ 14:15, 3 September 2007 (EDT)
- As the Polish version has already been launched, please work on it directly and raise your concerns there, not here. (WT-en) Jpatokal 22:37, 3 September 2007 (EDT)