Wikivoyage:Polish Wikivoyage Expedition
|This page is no longer active and is retained for historical reference. Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. Do not assume content on this page is still correct or up-to-date.|
The Polish Wikivoyage Expedition is an expedition to create a Polish language version of Wikivoyage.
For more information on multilingual Wikivoyage policy, please see Project:Language version policy.
The WikiPedia:Polish language is spoken by 46 million people worldwide. Providing a Polish language Wikivoyage would make travel information easier to access for those people. In addition, Polish speakers can add information in their own language which can be translated into other languages.
This Expedition has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Polish-speaking users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep users on the English-language site up-to-date on developments on Polish Wikivoyage, and vice-versa
- To translate the interface files for Wikivoyage into Polish
- To launch the new Polish-language Wikivoyage.
- To translate the pages and create the infrastructure necessary to make Polish Wikivoyage useful and friendly for new Polish-speaking contributors.
- To make Polish Wikivoyage an integrated part of the Wikivoyage family.
The Language version policy lists the steps necessary to get a Polish-language Wikivoyage in place.
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 5 Polish-speaking users willing to help start the Polish Wikivoyage. This means helping to translate the interface files, create content on the new Wikivoyage, and to create the necessary infrastructure to make Wikivoyage welcoming and useful for the next wave of contributors.
If you're interested, please create a user account on this (English) Wikivoyage, and sign the list below. To sign, edit this page and just type ~ 4 times, like "~~~~".
- (WT-en) Michal 08:58, 10 Oct 2004 (EDT)
- (WT-en) Wikipawel 08:27, 29 Jan 2006 (EST)
- (WT-en) S0568354 07:58, 12 Feb 2006 (EST)
- (WT-en) MD 11:48, 23 Feb 2006 (EST)
- (WT-en) JanSlupski 22:08, 23 February 2006 (EST)
More than 5 users are welcome to sign up, but we need at least 5 to get started.
Part of the process of having a language version is having a single person responsible for reporting on issues in the larger Wikivoyage community to the Polish language version, and reporting on issues in the Polish language version to the larger community.
The go-between should be conversant in English and Polish, experienced with Wikivoyage in other languages, and willing to make monthly reports and be an active participant in the Polish Wikivoyage community.
Language interface file
MediaWiki, the software that runs Wikivoyage, uses a language interface file to make the links and names and prompts and stuff readable in other languages. We need to customize a new version to work for Polish Wikivoyage.
We can collaboratively do this at Project:LanguagePl.php. It's started off with the Wikipedia language file, and we can use the English Project:Language.php file as a reference for things that need to be changed. It's mostly just changing the name of the site (Wikipedia -> Wikivoyage), the name of the license, and the names of some important pages.
Wikivoyage in Polish has started
- March 31, 2006, Polish Wikivoyage has been launched!