Windermere is a town in Cumbria. Unless you are local, the town is often confused with the lake itself, with which it shares the name.
A591 leads to/from the main M6 north-south motorway
Windermere is at the end of a branch line from Oxenholme on the main West Coast route from London to Scotland. Trains run every hour or so.
The train station is above the town, a few minutes walk from the centre. The station forecourt has bus stops with frequent service into the town and to Bowness-on-Windermere and Ambleside, and a taxi rank.
There is one coach per day to and from London. Local bus services run to and from Kendal, Lancaster and Keswick as well as to destinations throughout the Lake District.
The town is small enough to walk around easily. Buses run to the adjoining town, Bowness-on-Windermere, on the Windermere lake front (or you can walk there in around 20 minutes).
Windermere has the largest lake in England.
- 1 Holehird Gardens, Patterdale Road, LA23 1NP, ☎ .
- Hill Top House, ☎ .
- 2 Stott Park Bobbin Mill, ☎ .
- 3 Townend, Troutbeck, LA23 1LB (3 miles north of Windermere), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lake District Visitor Centre.
- 1 Treetop Trek, Brockhole, Lake District Visitor Centre, Windermere LA23 1LJ (Off the A591).
- 2 Windermere Steamboat Museum, Rayrigg Road (Currently closed for renovations), Windermere LA23 1BN.
- Blackwell House, ☎ .
- Orrest Head.
- Fell Foot Park.
- 1 Booths, Victoria St, LA23 1QA (near the railway station). Mon-Sat 8:00-21:00 Sun 10:00-16:00. Medium sized upmarket supermarket, in the former station building.
- 1 The Queens Pub & Restaurant, Victoria Street, Windermere LA231AB, England.
- 1 Low Wood Bay (English Lakes), Low Wood Bay, LA23 1LP, ☎ . Check-in: 3:00pm, check-out: 11:00am. £49-£98 pppn. Low Wood Bay is a 4 star resort hotel on the lake shore of Windermere. Featuring its own leisure club and beauty salon including a 50 foot swimming pool and jacuzzi.
Bed And Breakfast
- 3 Holbeck Ghyll, Holbeck Ln, LA23 1LU, ☎ .
- Windermere Manor.
- Gilpin Hotel.
- 4 Linthwaite House, Crook Rd, LA23 3JA, ☎ .
- 5 Hillthwaite, Thornbarrow Rd, LA23 2DF, ☎ .
- 7 The Samling, Ambleside Rd, LA23 1LR, ☎ .
- 8 Cedar Manor, Ambleside Rd, LA23 1AX, ☎ .
- 9 Beech Hill, Newby Bridge Road, LA23 3LR, ☎ .
- 10 Storrs Hall, Windermere, LA23 3LG, ☎ .
- 12 Windermere Lodge, Limefitt Park, Troutbeck, Cumbria LA23 1PA. Is a four star graded luxury pine lodge in Limefitt Park, Troutbeck.
- 13 [dead link]Kingfisher Lodge, Limefitt Park, Troutbeck, Cumbria LA23 1PA. Is a traditional riverside log cabin in the heart of tranquil Troutbeck.
- Bowness-on-Windermere is about a mile away on the lake and can easily be reached on foot.
- Ambleside is a few miles north on Lake Windermere
- Hawkshead and Coniston are to the west
- Kendal is to the east and provides road and rail connections