Windermere is a town in Cumbria. Unless you are local, the town is often confused with the lake, with which it shares the name.
A591 leads to/from the main M6 north-south motorway.
Windermere is at the end of a branch line from Oxenholme on the main West Coast route from London to Scotland. Trains run every hour or so.
The 1 Windermere train station is above the town, a few minutes walk from the centre. The station forecourt has bus stops with frequent service into the town and to Bowness-on-Windermere and Ambleside, and a taxi rank.
There is one coach per day to and from London. Local bus services run to and from Kendal, Lancaster and Keswick as well as to destinations throughout the Lake District.
The town is small enough to walk around easily. Buses run to the adjoining town, Bowness-on-Windermere, on the Windermere lake front (or you can walk there in around 20 minutes).
Windermere has the largest lake in England.
- 1 Holehird Gardens, Patterdale Road, LA23 1NP, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hill Top House, ☏ .
- 2 Stott Park Bobbin Mill, ☏ .
- 3 Townend, Troutbeck, LA23 1LB (3 miles north of Windermere), ☏ , email@example.com.
- Lake District Visitor Centre.
- 1 Treetop Trek, Brockhole, Lake District Visitor Centre, Windermere LA23 1LJ (Off the A591).
- 2 Windermere Steamboat Museum, Rayrigg Road, Windermere LA23 1BN. Daily: Mar-Oct 10AM-5PM; Nov-Feb 10:30AM-4PM; closed 25 and 26 December; last admission to the museum is one hour before closing. A collection of boats comprising two dugout boats dating from between 1200 and 1320; five yachts charting sailing on the lake from the 18th century to late 20th century; an 1870 Windermere ferry boat and copper ore barge; ten steamboats ranging in age from 1850 to 1907; seven rowing boats and a group of canoes; seven motor boats and six speed boats. The museum is housed in a new building which opened in 2019. Heritage boat trips cost an extra £10. adult £9.
- 3 Blackwell House, ☏ .
- 4 Orrest Head.
- Fell Foot Park.
- 1 Booths, Victoria St, LA23 1QA (near the railway station). M-Sa 8AM-9PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Medium sized upmarket supermarket, in the former station building.
- 1 The Queens Pub & Restaurant, Victoria Street, Windermere LA231AB, England.
- 1 Low Wood Bay (English Lakes), Low Wood Bay, LA23 1LP, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Low Wood Bay is a 4-star resort hotel on the lake shore of Windermere. Featuring its own leisure club and beauty salon including a 50-foot swimming pool and jacuzzi. £49-98 pppn.
- 2 Miller Howe, Rayrigg Road LA23 1EY, ☏ .
- 3 Broadoaks, Bridge Lane, Troutbeck LA23 1LA, ☏ . Gorgeous hotel in 19th century country house, great dining. Open Feb-Dec, no children under 4. B&B double £160.
Bed and Breakfast
- 4 Holbeck Ghyll, Holbeck Ln, LA23 1LU, ☏ .
- Windermere Manor.
- 5 Gilpin Hotel, Crook Rd, Windermere LA23 3NE (B5284 three miles east of lake), ☏ . Stylish upscale hotel with 31 rooms, plus Lake House and spa half a mile away. No children under 7. B&B double £300.
- 6 Linthwaite House, Crook Rd, LA23 3JA, ☏ .
- 7 Hillthwaite, Thornbarrow Rd, LA23 2DF, ☏ .
- 8 Nanny Brow, Nanny Brow Clappersgate Ambleside LA22 9NF, ☏ .
- 9 The Samling, Ambleside Rd, LA23 1LR, ☏ .
- 10 Cedar Manor, Ambleside Rd, LA23 1AX, ☏ .
- 11 Beech Hill, Newby Bridge Road, LA23 3LR, ☏ .
- 12 Storrs Hall, Windermere, LA23 3LG, ☏ .
- 13 Ivy Bank, Holly Road LA23 2AF, ☏ . £32-£45 pppn.
- Bowness-on-Windermere is about a mile away on the lake and can easily be reached on foot.
- Ambleside is a few miles north on Lake Windermere
- Hawkshead and Coniston are to the west
- Kendal is to the east and provides road and rail connections