Kendal, located in Cumbria, is a market town of some 30,000 inhabitants. It describes itself as "The Gateway to the Lakes". Kendal is a picturesque, moderate sized town with plenty of shopping and a surprisingly low level of tourist activity.
Kendal is easily accessible via the M6 motorway (Junction 36 from the south or 37 from the north)
Kendal is smallish and interesting enough to be a pleasure to stroll through.
- The River Kent flows through Kendal.
- 1 The Kendal Parish Church. Is an interesting building to wander through.
- 2 Levens Hall.
- 3 Kendal Castle.
- 4 Sizergh Castle, Sizergh, LA8 8AE, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
Kendal has a number of museums, the most notable of which are Abbot Hall Art Museum and the Quaker Tapestry Museum
- 5 Kendal Museum, Station Rd, LA9 6BT, ☎ .
- 6 Museum of Lakeland Life and Industry.
- 7 Abbott Hall Art Gallery.
- 8 Quaker Tapestry, Friends Meeting House, Stramongate, LA9 4BH, ☎ .
- 1 The Brewery Arts Centre, 122A Highgate, LA9 4HE, ☎ . Is a notable place to visit. There are 3 cinema screens, music concerts, comedy acts, theatre and during the Kendal mountain festival there are numerous lectures and movies focused on adventure and mountaineering. Also a great bar and restaurant.
- The Scout Scar. A hike in the hills to the east of Kendal. Information available from the tourist information shop. Map and guide 45p.
- 2 Lakeland Climbing Centre (Kendal Wall), Lake District Business Park, Mint Bridge Rd, LA9 6NH, ☎ .
- Kendal has a multitude of small boutiques and shops that could probably take up at least half a day of browsing.
- 1 Low Sizergh Barn Farm Shop & Tea Room, Low Sizergh Farm, Sizergh, LA8 8AE, ☎ . 9AM-5:30PM.
Kendal has produced a local delicacy called the Kendal Mint Cake. It was created in 1936 and was used as an energy bar on the 1953 expedition that climbed Everest for the first time. Romney's Homepage
- 1 Waterside Cafe, Kent View, LA9 4DZ, ☎ . A café on the River Kent that specialises in vegan/vegetarian cuisine.
- Chang Thai Restaurant, Stramongate. Excellent and inexpensive Thai restaurant. A favourite with locals. They also operate a Thai takeaway in Kirkland close to the Abbott Hall.