- For other places with the same name, see Skipton (disambiguation).
Skipton is served by trains from Leeds (two an hour, taking about 40 min) and Bradford Forster Square (two an hour, taking about 40 min). Trains on the Settle to Carlisle route pass through Skipton. The town is served by the A59, the A65 York and the A629. Access from Skipton into the Dales to Grassington and beyond is via the B6265. Also, a few trips on route X84 from Leeds go to Skipton. From Bradford, take any of the many buses to Keighley, and change to any of the frequent buses to Skipton.
The town can be easily navigated on foot.
Regular trains operate on the Aire Valley line from Skipton station, a short walk from the town centre.
Regular buses operate from the central bus station in the town center to the Yorkshire Dales and other surrounding towns/villages.
- Skipton and Craven Tourist Information Centre, 35 Coach Street, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Skipton Castle, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. one of the best preserved medieval castles of England, dating back to the 12th century
- Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway, Bolton Abbey, BD23 6AF (5 miles east of Skipton), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Bolton Abbey, BD23 6EX (5 miles east of Skipton), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. £7 per vehicle.
- Hesketh farm park at Bolton Abbey, Bolton Abbey, BD23 6HA (5 miles east of Skipton), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Adults £5.00, Children £5.50.
- Holy Trinity Church, High Street, Skipton (At the top of the High Street).
There are a number of award winning butchers along the High Street and the surrounding streets. Stanforth Butchers(11 Mill Bridge) is especially well known for its pork pies.
As a tourist destination, there are plenty of shops selling items associated with Skipton and the Yorkshire Dales.
Bizzie Lizzies is an excellent fish & chip shop
- Wild Oates, High Street. Wonderful vegetarian cafe above a health food store at the top of the high street, offering great food during the day all week.
Skipton has a variety of pubs and bars.
- Narrow Boat. Victoria Street. Slightly different with an excellent selection of locally sourced real ale and international beers.
- Wooly Sheep. High Street. One of the finest pubs in town with a great high street location. Serves a selection of locally produced Timothy Taylors cask ales. The pub also provides bed and breakfast accommodation.
Skipton also has its own brewery: Copper Dragon Brewery.
The majority of bed and breakfast hotels can be found on Keighley Road.
The Settle-Carlisle Railway is easily reached from Skipton train station and allows for the exploration of the Yorkshire Dales. Alighting at Horton-in-Ribblesdale allows for the ascent of Pen-y-Ghent where as leaving at Ribblehead Station enables the tourist to climb both Ingleborough and Whernside(Yorkshire's highest point). All three can be climbed in a 12 hour hike known as the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge. Bad weather is known to affect the summits of all these hills and so it would be wise to dress appropriately (Waterproofs, Hiking boots and warm clothing). A map is a must, and Ordnance Survey maps can be bought from many of the hiking shops in Skipton. Alternatively, some shops will sell hiking guides incorporating a small map for cheaper. Please remember to check train times before you set off, especially on Sundays where there is a reduced service.
Clapham is a typical Yorkshire Dales Village accessible via train from Skipton. The village is just over a miles walk from the station. In the village you will find old buildings, a historic church, bed and breakfasts as well as pubs and tea rooms serving local food and ale. At the top end of the village, is the beginning of a nature walk (pay at the machine) incorporating a walk through woodland containing plant and trees from around the world. At the end of the trail there is the Ingolborough Cave (pay separately) - apparently one of the best show caves in Britain.
Leeds is accessible by the trains that leave every half hour from Skipton train station. Journey time 35-50 minutes.