Xinyang (simplified Chinese: 信阳; pinyin: Xìnyáng) is a city of 1.4 million people (2020) in Henan. There is Nanyang City in the north, Fuyang City in the east, Xiaogan City in the south, and Xiangyang City in the west.
Xinyang was called Yiyang in ancient times. In the Western Zhou Dynasty, Xinyang was the fief of Shen Bo.
The story of Sima Guang smashing the jar was born in Xinyang.
|Climate chart (explanation)
Xinyang has a monsoon-influenced, four-season humid subtropical climate, with cold, damp winters, and hot, humid summers. April through June are slightly cooler than much of the rest of the province. Close to two-thirds of annual precipitation occurs from May to September. January through March are the cloudiest months.
- 1 Xinyang Minggang Airport (it is in the town of Minggang in Pingqiao District, about 45 km from downtown Xinyang). Xinyang can be reached by air from Huizhou, Xinan, Chongqing, Haikou, Beijing, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, Wuxi, Huhehaote, Wenzhou, and Yanan.
You can navigate the city on a Meituan bike or an Alipay bike. You can use it directly via wechat or Alipay. No need to download extra apps. Usually ¥1.5 for half an hour.
Today, the starting price for a rental in Xinyang is 6 yuan/2 kilometers. The fuel surcharge has been abolished. meter jumps every 500 meters after 2km and the meter price is RMB 0.8. Therefore, if you go to Xinyang for fun, you can also choose a cab with transparent price.
- Jigong mountain：You can see the Bat Cave and the Changsheng Cave. The Bat Cave has bizarre stalactites and stalagmites. Changsheng Cave is a rock cave.
- Nanwan lake：With a history of more than 1,500 years, in the Nanwan Lake scenic area, you can boating, you can also enjoy the beauty of the waterfall.
- Jingju Temple (净居寺:). It was the source of the first Chinese section of the Buddhist "Tiantai school" as early as the fifth year of Tianbao in the Northern Qi Dynasty (554 CE), since the saint monk Huisi came to the Jingju Temple. Emperor Shenzong of Song bestowed the "Emperor entitled Brahma Temple" still conserved in the temple.
- Guishan Pavilion（龟山亭） is one of the new eight sceneries in Xinyang, located on the bank of the Shihe River. Guishan Pavilion is quite rich in Jiangnan garden style. Commanding position, ascend to look up, both sides of the scenery panoramic view.
- Xinyang Tea Culture Festival (中国茶都·信阳国际茶文化节). Apr 28-30. commercial and trade festival for the Chinese tea industry.
- Train bookstore：A bookstore made out of old trains. Here you can have a cup of coffee and read a book. Have a nice afternoon.
Xinyang Department Store (信阳百货大楼): Located in the city center of Xinyang, this shopping center offers a variety of goods and brands.
Xinyang International Shopping Center (信阳国际购物中心): Serving as a comprehensive shopping center, it provides shopping, dining, and entertainment services.
Xinyang Wanda Plaza (信阳万达广场): Shopping plazas typically include large-scale department stores, dining options, and cinemas, among other amenities.
Jiaoshi Tofu（焦式豆腐）:Jiaoshi Tofu is one of the featured delicacies in Xinyang. Known for its meticulous production and delicate texture, this tofu is often used in various Sichuan dishes and home-cooked meals.
Jiaoyulu Chicken（焦裕禄鸡）:Jiaoyulu Chicken is a popular dish marinated in red koji, celebrated for its excellent color, aroma, and taste. The chicken is marinated in red koji, then steamed to maintain its tender and smooth texture.
Yunmeng Braised Pork:Yunmeng Braised Pork is a traditional dish in the Xinyang region, prepared using high-quality pork belly. After marinating and slow-steaming, the dish features a perfect combination of lean meat and fat, resulting in tender and flavorful pork.
Fried Dough Sticks and Glutinous Rice Cakes（油炸面团和糯米饼）:Among the snacks in Xinyang, fried dough sticks and glutinous rice cakes are distinctive representatives. Fried dough sticks are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, often enjoyed with soy milk or congee. Glutinous rice cakes are made from glutinous rice, offering a soft and chewy texture, and are often filled with sesame or peanuts.
Doupi Soup（豆皮汤）:Doupi Soup is a locally distinctive soup made with fresh ingredients such as tofu skin, tofu, and wood ear mushrooms. Seasoned with various spices, the soup is known for its clear and delicious flavor.
Xinyang Maofeng（信阳毛尖）: Xinyang Maofeng is one of the most renowned tea varieties in Xinyang, belonging to the category of Chinese green tea. It is distinguished by its tender, green appearance, refreshing aroma, and unique taste.
Xinyang Yunwu Tea（信阳云雾茶）: This tea is named for its cultivation in an environment shrouded in mist and clouds. The tea trees thrive in high-altitude areas, benefiting from the climatic conditions of mist and clouds, which contribute to the growth of the tea leaves.
Xinyang Yellow Tea（信阳黄茶）: Xinyang also produces yellow tea, a type of tea with a lighter fermentation process. It boasts a distinctive aroma and flavor compared to other tea varieties.
Xinyang Black Tea（信阳红茶）: Xinyang has a tradition of producing black tea, which undergoes complete fermentation. Known for its rich taste and reddish-brown infusion, black tea is a well-established part of Xinyang's tea heritage.
- In the city center, there are usually various hotels, convenient for people to stay after engaging in business, shopping, and visiting tourist attractions in the downtown area.
- You can book a minsu（民宿）on your mobile phone. Usually the price is much cheaper than the hotel. And you can also experience the local accommodation habits.
Xinyang, which has been jokingly called the backyard of Wuhan, is otherwise known as the southern gate of Henan. Right next to Xinyang in Hubei, people here are sometimes more connected to Hubei than to Henan.