Jump to navigation Jump to search
History and culture
- 1 Erkan Chen Residence (二崁陳宅). A former residence in Erkan Village, built in 1910. The residence was built with the classic southern Fujian style, featuring relief carvings, windows, doors and eaves. It forms a rectangular shape over an area of 330 m2 which includes three halls.
- 2 Xiyu Eastern Fort (西嶼東臺). Xiyu Eastern Fort was constructed in 1889 during Qing Dynasty rule of Taiwan to defend the area following the Sino-French War.
- 3 Xiyu Western Fort (西嶼西臺). Built together with the Eastern Fort, following the SIno-French war, Xiyu Western Fort was important in delaying Japanese attacks during the Japanese invasion of Taiwan in 1895 but was abandoned during Japanese rule. The fort contains an inscription from Li Hongzhang.
- 4 Yuwengdao Lighthouse (漁翁島燈塔). The Yuwengdao Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Taiwan. It was built by British engineer, David Marr Henderson, in 1875 on the site of the earlier "Xiyu Pagoda Lighthouse" (Chinese: 西嶼塔燈; pinyin: Xīyǔ tǎdēng), which was originally built in 1778. The earlier Xiyu Pagoda Lighthouse structure was a stone tower with an oil lamp light source, and is mentioned on a stone stele that still stands within the grounds of the Yuwengdao Lighthouse. Originally having black exterior, the Yuwengdao Lighthouse was repainted white in 1915.
- 5 Old Houses of Yang (合界永成楊家古厝群). Similar to the Erkan Chan Residence, but less well managed, and therefore fewer other visitors.
- 6 Chuwan Crab Museum (竹灣螃蟹博物館). The museum displays various kinds of crabs around Penghu Islands.
- 7 Xiaomen Geology Gallery (小門地質館). The gallery exhibits information, history and geological features of Penghu Islands. The gallery is divided into eight sections, which are guide of Xiaomen Island, geomorphology of Penghu Islands, landscape model, rocks and minerals, ecology, marine ecology, culture of Xiaomen Island and showcase of specimens.
- 8 Whale Cave (澎湖逍遙遊). A natural arch worn into the cliff face which. fom the side, roughly has the shape of a whale.
There are also a few bassalt column sites on the island created over eons of erosion:
- 11 Chima Chifantao Temple (赤樊桃殿).
- 12 Chixi Guandi Temple (池西關帝廟).
- 13 Dachi Xi Lin Temple (大池西林寺). A Buddhist & Taoist temple at Dachi Village.
- 14 Daci Zhiang Temple (大池治安宮). A Taoist temple at Dachi Village, also sometimes referred to as Dachi Beiji Temple.
- 15 Zuwan Dayi Temple (竹灣大義宮). A Taoist temple in Zuwan Village.
- 16 Erkan Erhing Temple (二崁二興宮). A Wang Yeh temple in Erkan Village.
- 17 Hejie Weiyang Temple (合界村威揚宮). A Wang Yeh temple in Hejie Village.
- 18 Nei'an Nei'qian Temple (內垵內塹宮). A Wang-Yeh Temple in Nei'an Village built in 1701.
- 19 Wai'an Wenwang Temple (外垵溫王宮). A Wang Yeh temple in Wai An Village.
- 1 Chi Ma Military Trail (赤馬五孔頂步道). A hiking trail that passes through some old, disused military tunnels.
- 1 小萍的店, ☏ . 08:00 - 17:00. Small noodle and seafood place near the Geological Museum.
- 2 (漁村川菜活海鮮) ☏ . 11:00 - 20:00. A seafood restaurant that sells fare from the nearby fishing harbour.
- 1 23.5 Blue (23.5蔚藍民宿), ☏ . An eccentric place with a tack-opulant vibe.
- 2 (小淋竹灣故鄉民宿), ☏ .
- 3 Dreamsiyu 28.5 (夢幻西嶼28.5民宿), ☏ .