Yarm is a small town in North Yorkshire, England. It grew up at the tidal limit of the River Tees.
Between 1974 and 1996 it was part of a new county, Cleveland, along with neighbouring Stockton-on-Tees. When that was abolished, Stockton was re-assigned to County Durham; but it still governs Yarm even though they're in separate counties.
There are limited bus services servicing Yarm though there are fairly regular routes to Stockton and Middlesbrough.
Most visitors will spend their time around the High Street so transport will not be required after arriving. The High Street is quite far from the train station however, and though it can be walked transportation may be advisable. Buses are infrequent though taxis are regularly situated near Yarm Town Hall. Car parking is available on the High Street though spaces can be hard to find during busy periods.
- 1 Yarm Viaduct. Viaduct that crosses the River Tees, built between 1849 and 1951.
- 2 Yarm Methodist Church, Yarm Methodist Church, Chapel Yard, Yarm, TS15 9AJ. Octagonal church reported to have been a favourite of John Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism.
- 1 Eaglescliffe Golf Club, Yarm Road, Stockton-On-Tees, TS16 0DQ, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Full 18 hole golf course in neighboring Eaglescliffe.
- 2 Preston Park Museum, Preston Park Museum and Grounds Yarm Road, Eaglescliffe, Stockton-On-Tees, TS18 3RH, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-4PM. A former Georgian residence of industrial magnate Robert Ropner, Preston Hall museum contains a variety of artefacts relating to the history of Teesside, situated with expansive grounds on the banks of the River Tees. The Park also features a mock Victorian street from 1895. Adult – £2.50, Concessions/Child – £1.50, Family ticket (2 Adults, 4 Children) – £5.00.
- Yarm Farmers Market, Yarm High Street. The town hosts a farmers market selling local produce on the second Sunday of every month.
- 1 Strickland & Holt, 44 High St, TS15 9AE, ☎ . M-Sa: 9AM-5:30PM. Popular 'mini-department store' established in 1854. Stocks a wide range of products including toys, gift cards, stationary, food, fashion, jewellery and household accessories.
- The Waiting Room, 9 Station Road, Eaglescliffe, Stockton on Tees TS16 0BU, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Highly praised vegetarian restaurant in neighbouring Eaglescliffe that was recently named 'Best Restaurant in the UK' by The Vegetarian Society.
- 1 The Black Bull, High Street, Yarm, TS15 9BH, ☎ .
- Osbournes, 24 High St, Yarm, Cleveland TS15 9AE, ☎ , e-mail: Yarm@osbourneleisure.co.uk.
- The Golden Jubilee, Healaugh Park, Yarm, Cleveland TS15 9XN, ☎ .
- The Pot & Glass, Church Rd, Egglescliffe Village, Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland TS16 9DQ, ☎ . Small village pub in Egglescliffe Village on the other side of the river. The walk up to the village gives great views over Yarm Highstreet and the River Tees.
- Yarm Guest House, 110-112 High Street Yarm Stockton-on-Tees TS15 9AU, ☎ . Bed and breakfast situated on Yarm High Street. single £50, double £80.
- Go north to County Durham, and especially the charming city of Durham.
- Explore Whitby and the rugged North Yorkshire coast beyond.
- York has ancient city walls and many visitor attractions.
|Routes through Yarm|
|Middlesbrough ←||N S||→ Northallerton → York|