Darlington (locally nicknamed Darlo) is a town in County Durham. Best known for its pioneering role in the development of the railway in the 19th Century.
- 1 Teesside International Airport (MME IATA). From 2004 to 2019 this was known as Durham Tees Valley Airport; it resumed its earlier name when it came back into public ownership. The only regular international flight is by KLM from Amsterdam. There are regular Eastern flights from London City, Belfast City and Aberdeen, and in summer from Newquay; other planned routes have fallen victim to Covid. They've promised to abolish the resented £6 outbound passenger charge "once the airport’s finances improve", so don't hold your breath: pay at the ticket machines by check-in. Bus 12 normally runs 6-8 times M-Sa from Darlington railway station but is suspended in mid-2020. At a pinch you could take the frequent train from Darlington to Dinsdale (heading for Saltburn) then walk the last mile; the airport railway station has only a "Parliamentary" train once on a Sunday. There's ample parking just outside the terminal, for around £15 / day booked online, £25 / day if you just turn up.
- Darlington Station. train station with local and mainline services including London, York and Edinburgh. There is an office for Europe car Hire cars in the town.
Arriva buses connect Darlington to most local areas.
- 1 Head of Steam (formerly known as The Darlington Railway Centre and Museum), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday to Sunday: 10am-4pm. Exhibits some of the earliest steam locomotives to be found anywhere in the world. £3- £4.95.
"Art in the Yards" - large scale art works in an open air setting.
Ulnaby - buried medieval village, half mile walk from town.
- Pizza Express, 1 Skinnergate. National chain restaurant serving Italian style food such as pizzas and pasta dishes. Decent wine selection.
- Garden of India, 43-44 Bondgate. Featured in the Wining and Dining Guide, serves its own lager, Kayani.
- [dead link] Ochis, 30-32 Bondgate. Caribbean and Mediterranean restaurant, features live music nights. Check for opening times.
Most of the bars are clustered in an area around Skinnergate, which runs parallel to High Row, connected by a number of alleyways.
- Blackwell Grange Hotel, Darlington, DL3 8QH. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. From £45.
- Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington, DL3 7HZ. From £50.
- Kings Hotel, Preistgate, DL1 1NW. From £45.
- 1 Headlam Hall, Headlam, near Gainford, DL2 3HA (off B6279), ☏ . Upscale country hotel in 17th C mansion. With spa, golf and great dining. B&B double from £150.
- Rockcliffe Hall, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, DL2 2DU. A luxury country hotel 5 miles from Darlington (15 min drive), with spa and golf facilities. Contact hotel for room rates.
- 2 Clow Beck House, Monk End Farm, Croft-on-Tees DL2 2SP, ☏ . Splendid little hotel in farmhouse 3 miles from town. No dogs. B&B double £140.
|Routes through Darlington|
|Newcastle-upon-Tyne ← Durham ←||N S||→ Richmond → Leeds|