«» Yinchuan (银川; Yínchuān) is the capital of Ningxia Autonomous Region. Located on the Yellow River, it was once the capital of the Western Xia Empire. The city has a population of around 750,000.
Nicknamed the Phoenix City, Yinchuan is a former Silk Road stop and now the rising capital of the Ningxia Autonomous Region. Being one of a very few parts of China where an ethnic minority (Hui people) hold the power of governance, it is a treasure of Chinese-Muslim culture.
Yinchuan has two parts, the new city, with all of the industry, universities and colleges, is huddled around the main train station while the old city, the more livable of the two, lies 8 km to the east. Rapid growth over recent years has been quickly drawing these two distinct centers together as foreign investment grows.
Yinchuan Railway Station (银川火车站; Yínchuān Huǒchēzhàn) is on Xingzhou Road in the New Town.
- Baotou - takes about 8 hours
- Beijing - takes about 19 hours
- Guangzhou - takes about 46 hours
- Hohhot - takes about 11 hours
- Lanzhou - takes about 9 hours
- Pingliang - takes about 11 hours
- Shanghai - takes about 36 hours
- Xi'an - takes about 15 hours
- Xining - takes about 13 hours
- Zhongwei - takes about 3-4 hours
Long-Distance Bus Station is across the square from South Gate.
- Baotou - takes about 14 hours
- Guyuan - takes about 5-7 hours
- Lanzhou - takes about 7 hours
- Taiyuan - takes about 15 hours
- Xi'an - takes about 11-14 hours
- Yanan - takes about 8-12 hours
- Zhongwei - takes about 2-4 hours
Buses ¥1-¥2, as far you can go. Also small buses, same prices, going longer distances. You can also use the back doors, tickets sold on bus. Ticket girl will ask you how far you wish to go, if you don't know she will tell you when to pay extra money.
- West Pagoda (Xita) (In the middle of Old Town). A nice, medium sized garden area with classic Chinese buildings/architecture. The tower dominates the garden and the view from the top is one of the best you will get of Yinchuan. ¥8 to go to the top of the pagoda.
- North Pagoda (Beita) (A bit outside the Old Town you will have to take a taxi to get there).
- Xixia Wangling National Park - Western Xia Tombs, These are 193 tombs of high officials of the Xia Kingdom.
- Ningxia Great Wall (Approx 60 km southwest of the New Town). This part of the wall is in various states of decay, but maintains some impressive examples ancient masonry. The site is undeveloped and you are free to wander about/climb on it as you like. Sections of the Ningxia Great Wall originate primarily from the Ming Dynasty. It is about 1 km in length, and continues up the mountains and further out in both directions. Well worth the trip, but be forwarned, brightly coloured clothes will attract flying grasshoppers! There is nothing else around (no people, shops, etc.)--its at the edge of the desert. Bring water.
- Public Bus, Departs: Alashun Hotel and New Town bus depot. 05:00-18:00. From in front of the Alashun Hotel or at the bus depot hidden away down the street from the train station in the New Town (what once was the bus station entrance hall is a furniature store, the main station entrance looks like a small shop but is in the same building next door). Public buses going there do not have numbers but are white with blue lettering and travel between Yinchuan and Zuoqi, get off at Sanguankou (the wall is clearly visible from the highway, infact the highway goes through the wall). Just wait on the road and flag down any bus you see headed towards town to return. The last returning bus passes the wall daily at 17:50 (be on the road a few minutes early), locals may stop and offer you a ride back to town if you are waiting on the main road. ¥12.
- Travel Agency Tours. ¥300.
- Shahu Lake. It takes about one hour to go there by bus. Buses leave from the bus station regularly and a one-way ticket cost ¥19 in July 2011. At Shahu it's easy to find a bus back to Yinchuan.
- Motorcycle Tourist Festival. Late June.
- The city. The best thing in Yinchuan is the people and the Hui neighbourhoods, so the best option is just to take a bus in any direction and getting down in a street market or in a park. It is also recommended to go to the main square in the night where there are dances and games.
- 1 Ningxia Museum.
Eight Treasures Tea is a Muslim specialty and in good supply around Yinchuan. Wolfberries found in Yinchuan are said to be the best in the world.
- Xinhua Street (At the center of Old Town, along the walking mall and other large squares). The economic centre and shopping centre of Yinchuan with many large malls and department stores and all the large clothing chains (Nike, Disney, Jack Jones, etc.) Do not expect to bargain here.
- Emanuelle's. A wonderful ESL school/Christian bookstore/library/teahouse/restaurant run by one of China's top entrepreneurs. It provides a retreat from the chaos of the city and serves a variety of foreign foods. Recommended platters are the chicken curry and the beef with rice soup (which is Chinese food directed at Western tongues).
- 1 Uncle Robin's American Pizza, 中国宁夏回族自治区银川市，西夏区朔方路梧桐花园北门 1-13, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The only real American-style pizza in Yinchuan. Owned by Robin, a Korean-Chinese man, you can find authentic home pizza. The Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Pepperoni pizzas are all full marks. The staff speak very good English here. It is also the only restaurant in town to find Dr. Pepper. They have two locations. One is in the Old City at #278 Beijing Dong Lu, near the International Hotel (but on the opposite side of the road). It's a very small place, easily missed. The other is in the Xi Xia District (西夏区) on Shuo Fang Lu (朔方路) at the north side of Wu Tong Hua Yuan (梧桐花园), between Ningxia University and the Northern Minorities University. They deliver in New Town and Old Town Areas. The Xi Xia District location offers espresso-based specialty coffee drinks. A pizza costs between ¥50 and ¥60 and serves two people (Pizza Hut size). A can of Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, or Root Beer costs ¥15..
- Napoli Italian Cuisine. A curious blend of western dishes and Chinese ingredients. Though it is well marketed the food in Napoli generally does not appeal to foreigners. If you are looking for something to remind you of home, you are better off finding an alternative.
- UBC Coffee House (Shangdao Kafeiting), 84 Zhongshan North Street, ☎ . For when you need a Western food break.
- Lian Yuan Bar (Located a couple blocks south of Xixia District commercial center (look for the KFC sign)). A well decorated bar, and the best in New Town. The staff is very relaxed and friendly, and there are unobtrusive musical performances every night starting 8PM-9PM. The drinks here are a little more expensive than some other places.
- Fall in Love Bar & Marry Bar, Hubin East Street (Near all the main hotels). Comfortable seating and a younger crowd, you can sit back with any of the local beers and relax.
- The King Divine Luck Club (Kadilong). Popular club featuring dancers and a very impressive layout. Booths and box seats have a higher minimum purchase.
- Baby Face. Popular club featuring dancers and a very impressive layout. Booths and box seats have a higher minimum purchase.
- Come Back. Although traditional western coffee is hard to come by, this drink chain (which can be found almost everywhere in Yinchuan) sells their version of a coffee drink that can be served hot or cold. While it is still not western style coffee, it is quite good, somewhat similar to Starbucks' caramel macchiato.
- Bob and Leo's BBQ, beijing luo (新城大众巷10号（新城电影院东侧的巷子向北100米）胖哥俩烤吧), ☎ . 17:00-01:00?. Bob and Leo (chubby and happy twins) have some of the best BBQ chicken in Yinchuan, if not China. They both speak English and are extremely friendly. It is an outdoor grill with great selections of mutton and fish as well as a selection of vegetables. Cheap beers and the occasional expat make it a must-visit. Open late or until you stop buying beers. inexpensive.
- Tongguan Live House 铜管现场酒吧, 地址：银川市西夏区801创意园内往东100米（北方民族大学对面） (when facing away from Beifang Minzu University east gate, walk east until you see a small electric gate on your right. Enter, you should see artwork on the walls on your left, make your first left and head straight about 100 meters. It's on your left again.), ☎ . Laid-back rock n’ roll student bar. Imported beers and spirits. Live bands and alternative music. Hao Ting Ting is the bartender and she is very friendly, open minded and speaks English. Just as likely to see teenaged art rockers and students as grisly punks and misguided foreigners. cheap.
- International Hotel, 25 Beihuan East Road, ☎ , fax: .
- HelanShan Hotel Yinchuan, 1 Shoufang Road, Xinshi District, ☎ , fax: .
- Kaida Hotel, ☎ .
- Ningxia Hotel, 3 Park Street, ☎ , fax: .
- Kempinski Hotel Yinchuan, 160 Beijing Middle Rd, Jinfeng District, ☎ .