- Yuzawa is accessible by train. The main station is Yuzawa Station (湯沢駅). By car, Yuzawa is located on Highway 13, which goes to Yokote and Daisen in the north, and Yamagata in the south. The expressway is free between Yuzawa and Yamagata — however, Yokote is not free.
- 1 Akinomiya Museum (秋乃宮博物館), 字湯ノ岱１０６ (when coming from the NW, look for a large blue shrine where Route 108 curves left; the small side road branches off to the right in dangerous fashion; follow the side road down the hill, turn right and then left at the only intersections, and park outside the large archway), ☏ . 09:00-17:00. This fascinating museum is essentially a collection of historical objects. There are few explanations of what you're seeing, but most of it is rather obvious -- old records, comic books, toys, TVs, pachinko machines, etc. The museum building is an old house, and the owner often serves tea and snacks at no extra charge. There is bath in the basement, right next to the river, which also may be used at no extra charge. ¥500.
- 1 Takanoyu Onsen (鷹の湯温泉), Akinomiya, Denjō 1 (on Highway 108 in Akinomiya, roughly 3 km SE of the Akinomiya Post Office), ☏ . 11:00-15:00, last entry 14:00. This onsen, which is particularly pretty in the autumn, is located near a beautiful gorge and a man-made waterfall. There are indoor and outdoor baths for each gender, and a mixed bath (混浴, konyoku) near the gorge and waterfall.
- 2 Kawarage Ōyutaki (川原毛大湯滝) (from Highway 13 in southern Yuzawa City, take Highway 51 SE; after perhaps 3 km, turn right and continue on Highway 51; after perhaps 7 km, turn right onto the narrow Highway 310 and follow the signs). Road closed in winter. This outdoor hot spring is a short walk from the road. There is a large somewhat smelly bath fairly close to the road, and perhaps 10 minutes' walk from there is a waterfall. All of the pools are open for bathing. Bring a swimsuit. Free.
- 3 Kurikoma San Sō (栗駒山荘), 東成瀬村椿川字仁郷山国有林 (Located in Higashinaruse.), ☏ , fax: . This hotel and onsen has a wonderful view of Mt. Chokai.
- 1 Caffe Gita, Aikawa, Nakayama 26 (in southern Yuzawa City, go east from Sukawa Elementary School, cross the train tracks and expressway, and follow signs up the hill), ☏ . 10:00-18:00. This shop has a good selection of coffee, by the bean or by the cup. They also have a small cake selection.
- 2 Nakano Shoten (中野商店), Ōmachi 2 Chōme 1-1 (at the intersection of Highway 277 and San Road, the road to Yuzawa Station), ☏ . This is a general store with various kitchen, gardening, and household goods, but it also has a large tobacco selection, including cigarettes, fancy lighters, pipes, and imported cigars in a humidor. There is a small smoking area, as well.
- 1 Daigen (大元), Zaimoku 1, Chōme 3-46 (from Gusto on Highway 13, go a block east; the shop is on the south side of the road before the drainage ditch), ☏ . F-Tu 11:30-17:00. The best miso ramen in Yuzawa. There's only counter seating, and the decor is eclectic. A side of chili paste is available on request, as is kimuchi. ¥500-900.
- 2 Ramen Pleco (ラーメンプレコ), Aikawa, Kaidōhigashi 1-5 (on the east side of Highway 13, about 1 km north of Sukawa Elementary School), ☏ . Tu W F Sa Su 11:00-15:00, 17:00-20:45PM; Th 11:00-15:00. A small shop with a wide selection of ramen. This shop stays open later than most other ramen shops in southern Yuzawa, making it a convenient stop. ¥500-1000.
- 3 Kikuchi Ryokan (菊地旅館), Kami-Innai, Kozawa 112-10 (on Highway 13, directly behind Innai Station in southern Yuzawa City), ☏ . This restaurant serves Japanese food in large portions, and often serves local mountain vegetables (sansai). It is part of a ryokan. ¥500-1,500.
- 1 Beer Bar Rosso Corsa (ロッソコルサ), Omotemachi 2 Chōme 1-23 (in front of Yuzawa Station across from Marvi), ☏ . Closed Sundays, unless the following Monday is a national holiday. This bar has a wide selection of beers from Japan and abroad, including Belgian Trappist brews. Obscure beers are more expensive, with prices varying depending on the master's mood.
- 2 Kushigoro (串ごろう), Omotemachi 4 Chōme 1-1 (on Highway 13, a traffic light north from Yuzawa Station), ☏ . A small jazz bar with great music.
- 3 [dead link] Pocket Bar (ぽけっと), Omotemachi 2 Chōme 1-21 (in front of Yuzawa Station), ☏ . This bar has a great scotch selection. Some of their more obscure (expensive) scotch is not listed on the menu — ask a waiter.
Some travelers sleep in their cars, which is typically not a problem. However, if you drink in the evening and sleep in your car, it is a good to use a personal breathalyzer before driving the next morning — even a small amount of alcohol in your system makes driving illegal, and the police are known to watch for this.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Yokobori Onsen Shiunkaku (横堀温泉 紫雲閣), Koshōji 16, Yokobori (from the Family Mart on Highway 108 in southern Yuzawa City, go NW for 1 km), ☏ , fax: . A ryokan with onsen and mineral bath. There is a small gift shop, and also a cafe with coffee and tea. One of the managers speaks English. Large rooms can be reserved for enkais or private gatherings. 1 night with dinner and breakfast for ¥10,000; other packages available.
- 2 Kikuchi Ryokan (菊地旅館), Kozawa 112-10, Kami-Innai (on Highway 13 directly behind Innai Station in southern Yuzawa City), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00. This ryokan has rooms for sleeping and a restaurant for meals. It's on the highway and by the train station, which may be convenient for people on the move. ¥5250 without meals; discounts for groups.
- 3 [dead link] Akinomiya Sanso (秋ノ宮山荘), Denjō 1-1, Akinomiya (on the north side of Highway 108 in central Akinomiya), ☏ . This is a ryokan and onsen complex. It's quite large and can be reserved for private parties, though individuals are welcome, as well.
- Yamagata prefecture lies to the south.
- In the SE, Mt. Chokai is a good day hike.
- To the north, consider visiting scenic Lake Tazawa.
- For something a little more metropolitan, go NW to Akita or NE to Morioka.
- The nearest shinkansen is the Komachi Shinkansen, passing through Omagari, an hour to the north of Yuzawa.
- Shinjo, 90 minutes by car or train to the south, is the northern terminus of the Yamagata Shinkansen.
|Routes through Yuzawa|
|Akita ← Omagari ←||N S||→ Shinjo → Yamagata|
|Akita ← Yokote ←||N E||→ Shinjo → Yamagata|
|Yurihonjo ← Ugo ←||W E||→ Onagawa → Ishinomaki|