The name Zaporozhia means "beyond the rapids". Before the Dniproges Dam was built, the rapids on the Dniepr river were a notorious impediment to navigation.
Zaporozhia is around 10 hours away from Kiev via train. There is one daily departure and several night trains heading in both directions. Tickets may be purchased online from the official booking service and will cost US$10-50 depending on class.
For the adventurous or cash-strapped, there are also several daily marshrutkas departing from outside Kiev train station. Expect to take around 10 hours. There are also many marshrutkas from neighbouring cities.
Main transport Zaporozhye - route taxis (express-buses, here also called "marshrutka"), routes of which are led all around the city. Besides them there are bus, trolleybus and tram (streetcar) routes.
The main traffic artery - Lenin, Ave. through which runs most of the routes. Here also all of the major interchange junctions are located:
- intersection with Metallurov ave. Routes to Khortytsya island, Khortitsky (also called Baburka), Osipenkovsky, Borodinsky districts, Verkhnya Khortytsya, Veliky Lug, Pavlo-Kichkas.
- intersection with Shevchenk blvd. Routes to Pryberezhna magistral.
- intersection with the Lermontova st. (mall "Ukraine"). Routes to Pavlo-Kichkas, factory zone
- Pushkin Square. Routes to Shevchenkovsky district, airport.
- market Angolenko (intersection with the Angolenko st.). Routes to Shevchenko district, airport.
- central bus station. Routes on Kosmichesky District, Yuzhny (Peski).
The cost of transport:
Route taxis - 1.75-3.25 hr (most 2.50 hr) Buses - 1.50-2.25 hr Trolleybuses - 1.50 hr Trams (streetcars) - 1.50 hr
Also in the city there are taxis. Taxis should be called on the phone, rather than taken from a road.
- Khortytsia Island, has a long and rich history. The granite cliffs on the island are also spectacular.
- Dniproges Dam, the largest dam in Europe when it was built. At the end of Prospekt Lenina. The park nearby offers spectacular views of the dam and Khortytsia island.
All of the major clothing stores, jewelry Zaporozhye concentrated in shopping centers and along the avenue. Lenin from the intersection with the street. Leonova to pl. Festival.
Grocery stores in Zaporizhya are networks ATB, Silpo, Amstor, Auchan.
- ATB have been observed to be the cheapest supermarket, but with very meager assortment.
- Silpo - this is the average size of supermarkets. Prices are higher than in the ATB, but lower than other networks.
- Amstor - this is the format of regional supermarkets. Accordingly, they are located in almost all parts of the city. There is a wide range of products, but the prices are higher than in the ATB or Silpo.
- Auchan is only one in Zaporizhya. It is at the intersection of Pryberezhna magistral and Zaporiz'ka st. Hypermarket is a generator of City Mall. Next to it there is also a building materials hypermarket Epicenter.
- Also there is Billa store in Zaporizhya presented, but the prices are sky-high in it and the inhabitants of Zaporozhye will not recommend it to you.
Specialty shops alcoholic
Alcoholic beverages are best to buy in specialized stores - so you can avoid falsification. In Zaporizhya there are two networks of alcohol markets:
- Meadow (Polyana) is located at 3-B Gagarin st., Gagarin mall near the intersection Lenin ave./Gagarin st.
- Wines of the world (Vina Mira).
Each district in Zaporizhya have 1-2 local grocery market. Their location can be obtained from local residents.
In addition, there are two large flea market in Zaporizhya: Angolenko and Voznesenovsky markets.
Market Angolenko is on the street. Angolenko, just called and bus stops. Entrance to the market as possible by the Shevchenko district, and from the Ave. Lenin.
Voznesenovsky market is located between the Pobedy ave. and Pryberezhna magistral closer tiothe Dnieper from Festival square.
There are three shops networks of household in Zaporizhya: Eva, Prostor, Lotos
- Pizza city, 7 Dobrolyubova St, ☏ , . 10:00-22:00. English speaking staff. 40 hr per person.