Europe > Benelux > Netherlands > Northern Netherlands > Drenthe > Tynaarlo
Tynaarlo is a municipality in the north of the province of Drenthe, in the Netherlands. Tynaarlo is named after a small village in the centre of the municipality, but the municipality also includes the larger towns Zuidlaren, Eelde-Paterswolde, and Vries. Many of the villages in the municipality are so-called brinkdorpen, which means they are centred around a brink or 'village green', and the eastern part of the region is part of the Drentsche Aa National Park. Tynaarlo is located between the cities of Groningen and Assen, and Groningen Airport Eelde is within the municipality.
Tynaarlo is in the north of the province of Drenthe, bordering Noordenveld to the west, provincial capital Assen to the south, Aa en Hunze to the southeast, and the province of Groningen (city of Groningen and Hoogezand) to the north. It is a rural area with dozens of towns, villages, and hamlets. The larger towns function as commuter towns for Assen and especially the city of Groningen.
There are three tourist information points (TIPs) in Tynaarlo.
- 1 TIP Eelde/Paterswolde, Hoofdweg 179, Paterswolde, ☏ . Tue-Fri 10:00-18:00, Sat 10:00-17:00.
- 2 [formerly dead link] TIP Zuidlaren, Verlengde Hondsrugstraat 12A, Zuidlaren (in Coffea Bar Zuidlaren), ☏ . Tue-Sat 10:00-18:00, Sun/Mon 12:00-18:00.
- 3 TIP Vries, Schultestraat 4, Vries (in tea shop/café Het Koetshuis), ☏ . Tue-Fri 10:00-18:00, Sat 10:00-17:00.
The municipality of Tynaarlo is traversed by the A28 motorway, providing quick connections to the north (Groningen city 10 minutes) and south (Assen 15 minutes, Zwolle 45m). In addition, the N34 expressway leads to Tynaarlo from the southeast (Emmen 40 minutes). Amsterdam and Schiphol Airport are about 1h 45m from Tynaarlo.
By public transport
Although the Zwolle-Groningen railway traverses the municipality of Tynaarlo, there is no railway station in the region. The nearest railway stations with intercity service are in Assen and Groningen. Both stations offer regular connections to and from the Eastern and Western Netherlands (including Amsterdam and Schiphol Airport), and Groningen station has more connections to and from Friesland province, other regions in Groningen province, and Germany.
The key bus routes to get into the municipality of Tynaarlo are listed below. All bus routes are operated by Qbuzz.
- Bus route 5 (1-6x/hour): from Groningen city via Haren and Tynaarlo (Zuidlaren) to Annen.
- Bus route 9 (1-2x/hour): from Groningen city to Tynaarlo (Eelde-Paterswolde, the airport, and De Punt).
- Bus route 50 (1-2x/hour): from Groningen city via Haren and Tynaarlo (De Punt and Vries) to Assen.
- Bus route 51 (0-2x/hour): from Groningen city via Haren, Tynaarlo (Zuidlaren) and Annen to Gieten, sometimes to Assen.
In addition, there is bus route 100 (AirportLink) from Groningen city, but within Tynaarlo this bus route only calls at the airport.
1 Groningen Airport Eelde (GRQ IATA) is located in the municipality of Tynaarlo. The airport offers (multiple) daily flights to and from Copenhagen, London-Southend, and Munich, and various other scheduled and charter flights to and from cities and holiday destinations in Southern Europe. Car rental is available at the airport, and from the airport there are fast road connections throughout the region. Bus route 9 provides connections from the airport to Eelde-Paterswolde and De Punt. To get to Vries, a change to bus route 50 at the village of De Punt is required, and to get to Zuidlaren a change to bus route 5 at Groningen city is needed.
The easiest and fastest way to get around in the municipality of Tynaarlo is by car. However, for shorter distances using a bicycle is recommended. Good cycling infrastructure is available, and all villages are clearly signposted with dedicated signposts for cyclists. The four key bus routes as mentioned above can also be used for travelling within Tynaarlo. However, the main towns are not well connected to each other. To get from Eelde-Paterswolde or Vries to Zuidlaren or vice versa, you will need travel via Groningen city.
- 1 Museum De Buitenplaats, Hoofdweg 76, Eelde, ☏ . Tue-Sun 11:00-17:00. Museum on contemporary figurative art. Adults €9.
- 2 Molenmuseum De Wachter (windmill and craft museum), Havenstraat 36, Zuidlaren, ☏ . Wed 13:30-16:30, Sat 10:00-16:30. Museum including a 19th century grist mill, with expositions on old crafts and steam machines. Adults €6.
Just as in the other parts of Drenthe province, there are several dolmens (megalithic tombs) in Tynaarlo.
- 3 Dolmens D3 and D4, Midlaren.
- 4 Dolmen D5, Zeijen (easy to access from the Witteveen road).
- 5 Dolmen D6, Tynaarlo. Small but complete dolmen site.
Tynaarlo is along the route of the most famous long distance walking route of the Netherlands, the Pieterpad. Stage 3 ends, and stage 4 starts, in the town of Zuidlaren.
Outdoor recreation and water sports
The western shore of the Paterswoldsemeer lake is in the municipality of Tynaarlo (the remainder of the lake is in Groningen city and Haren), and so is the southern part of the Zuidlaardermeer lake (with the remainder being in Midden-Groningen). The lakes have facilities for swimming and water sports such as sailing and kayaking.
- 1 Zeil-Surfschool Zuidlaardermeer, De Bloemert 1, Midlaren, ☏ . High summer season daily 9:00-18:00, low season weekends 9:00-18:00, winter closed. At the Zuidlaardermeer lake. Sailing and surfing school, and rental of boats, surf boards, kayaks, etc.
- 2 Jachthaven Zuidwesthoek, Meerweg 247, Haren (behind Groningerweg 1, Paterswolde), ☏ . Daily 9:00-17:30. At the Paterswoldsemeer lake. Marina and rental of sailing boats, motor boats, and canoes/kayaks.
- 1 Restaurant 't Huys van Bunne, Donderenseweg 1, Bunne, ☏ . Wed-Sun 17:00-24:00. Restaurant in the tiny village of Bunne, with seasonal meat and fish dishes. Main courses about €20.
- 2 De Rooie Kater Eelde, Hoofdweg 87a, Eelde, ☏ . Tue-Sun 17:00-22:00. Varied menu with many meat and fish dishes as well as a large selection of pizzas.
- 3 De Rooie Kater Zuidlaren, Hogeweg 17, Zuidlaren, ☏ . Tue-Sun 17:00-22:00. Second restaurant of the same owner, with the same menu as De Rooie Kater in Eelde.
- 1 Fletcher Familiehotel Paterswolde, Groningerweg 19, Paterswolde, ☏ . Well-known hotel on the northern outskirts of Paterswolde, near the Paterswoldsemeer lake and the city of Groningen.
- 2 Fletcher Hotel De Zeegser Duinen, Schipborgerweg 8, Zeegse, ☏ . In the national park Drentsche Aa.
- 3 Brinkhotel Zuidlaren, Brink O.Z. 6, Zuidlaren, ☏ . Double rooms from €59.50 per night.
- 4 Hotel De Vriezerbrug, Vriezerweg 20, Tynaarlo, ☏ . Double room €61.50 per night.
- 5 [formerly dead link] Herberg Tió, Oude Rijksweg 1, Vries, ☏ . Small hotel in Vries. Double rooms from €64.50 per night.
|Routes through Tynaarlo|
|Utrecht ← Assen ←||S N||→ Groningen → END|
|Emmen ← Aa en Hunze ←||S N||→ END|
|Pieterburen ← Groningen ←||N S||→ Rolde → Sint-Pietersberg|