The large urbanised industrial area to the north of the city extends up to Naihati and Barasat and includes such places as Kashipur, Dumdum, Dakshineswar, Belghoria, Khardah, Panihati, Titagarh, Barrackpore and Madhyamgram. The once flourishing manufacturing belt, still has some units working well but the industrial area as a whole is no more in the pink of health and is often in the news for the wrong reasons.
The main line of the Eastern Bengal Railway, that once served to link Kolkata with the eastern part of Bengal (now Bangladesh), ran through this area. The area has a mixed population - high percentage of Hindi-speaking people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh and refugees from East Pakistan, generally outnumbering the local population.
It is part of Kolkata urban agglomeration and is split into numerous municipalities spread across North 24 Parganas district.
The main line links Sealdah and Ranaghat. A branch line links Dum Dum to Bangaon, near the India-Bangladesh border. The Calcutta Chord line links Dum Dum to Dankuni on the Howrah-Bardhaman Chord line. The main stations in the region are:
- Dum Dum railway station.
- Belghoria railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Agarpara railway station.
- Sodepur railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Khardah railway station.
- Titagarh railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Barrackpore railway station.
- Palta railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Ichhapore railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Shyamnagar railway station.
- Jaggadal railway station.
- Kakinara railway station.
- Naihati railway station.
- Dum Dum Cantonment railway station.
- Durganagar railway station.
- Birati railway station.
- Bisharpara-Kodalia railway station.
- New Barrackpur railway station.
- Madhyamgarm railway station.
- Hridaypur railway station.
- Barasat railway station (It is marked on the map).
The two main roads leading into the area from Kolkata are Barracpore Trunk Road and Jessore Road (NH 34). Jessore Road is linked with the junction point of NH 2 and NH 6 at Dankuni via Belghoria Expressway across Nivedita Setu. Direct roads link Barrackpore with Barasat and Sodepur with Madhyamgram. Kalyani Expressway is another important link in the area.
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is in this area but it attracts hardly any passengers from this area. All the industry offices are in Kolkata.
There are a set of parallel bridges across the Hooghly River - Vivekananda Setu and Nivedita Setu - between Dakshineswar and Bally. Between Naihati and Bandel, there only is a railway bridge. There are numerous ferry points (locally known as ghats) connecting the two banks of the Hooghly River.
- Cossipore Gun & Shell Factory. Established in 1802, it is oldest surviving factory in India.
- Baranagore Jute Mill.
- WIMCO Match Factory, Dakshineswar.
- India Foils Limited, Kamarhati.
- Kamarhatty Jute Mill. Kamarhatty Company Limited, set up in 1877 under British managing agency Jardine Henderson Ltd, is one of the oldest functioning composite jute mills in the world employing over 5,000 people.
- Texmaco. It has two units - one at Balgharia and the other at Agarpara.
- Hind Ceramics.
- Electrosteel Castings. The largest manufacturer of ductile iron pipes and fittings in India.
- Brittania Engineering Limited. West Bengal Government unit
- Titagarh Wagons Ltd.. Private sector wagon manufacturer
- Titagrh Jute Mill. It has two units - No. 1 and No. 2 (Loomtex)
- Titagarh Paper Mill. Mill No. 1 is located in Titagarh and Mill No. 2 is located at Kakinara nearby. Its tiger brand paper was once a market leader. Now both the mills are closed.
- Palta Water Works. Supplies treated water to Kolkata. It has a capacity of 200 million gallons per day.
- Ichapore Defence Estate.
- Dunber Cotton Mill.
- Sri Gauri Shankar Jute Mill.
- Reliance Jute Mill, Kakinara.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (It is marked on the map). It is the fifth busiest airport of India in terms of passenger traffic
- Indian Statistical Institute, Baranagar. Founded by Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in 1932, the institute is now considered one of the foremost centres in the world for training and research in statistics.
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Dakshineswar. It was built in 1855 by Rani Rashmoni. Sri Ramakrishna was the head priest at the temple for thirty years and added considerably to its fame.
- Gandhi Ghat, Barrackpore.
- Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalay (Gandhi Museum), Barrackpore.
- Surendranath Banerjee's house, Barrackpore. Surendranath Banerjee used to live here. Mahatma Gandhi met him in this house several times.
- Rishi Bankim Chandra's residence and museum, Naihati.
- Khadi Pratisthan, Sodepur. Founded in 1925 by Satish Chandra Dasgupta, a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Barasat Stadium (Watch football matches). Capacity:22,000
- Pistol (From Cossipore Gun & Shell Factory).
- Sriniketan Fashions Pvt. Ltd., Station Road, Sodepur, ☎ +91 33 25834436, 25834437, 25834438.
- Saha Textile (Departmental Store), Haritala, Barasat.
- Big Bazar Supermarket, Nazrul Islam Avenue, Baguiati.
- Sher-e-Punjab, Jessore Road, Sukanta Nagar, ☎ . 11 am to 12 midnight. Quality Punjabi dhaba food. Chinese & Thai dishes also available. AC or open-air seating. Drinks served.
- KFC Restaurant, Shree Tower, Raa 44, Nazrul Islam Avenue, Baguiati (Near Metro Bazar), ☎ .
- Haldiram's (Vegetarian restaurant), P420, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Kaikhali, ☎ +91 9830011127, +91 9830011120.
- Fiya the Zayka, 44/1 Adi Ganga, Bansdroni Post Office Road, Bansdroni 700070 (Opposite of Surya Sen Metro), toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. 15:00 to 22.30. Cooking The Royal Biryani is the profession of Fiya the Zayka’s; they serve Mughlai food, developed under the patronage of the Mughal Kings and Queens using the spices of the Mughals' adopted Indian homeland. INR - 25/100.
- Hotel Gateway Continental, Crossing of Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani and Jessore Road (Near Airport No. 1 Gate), ☎ .
- Hotel Airways, Motilal Colony, Rajbari (Near Airport No. 2 Gate), ☎ .
- O2 Hotel, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Kaikhali, ☎ +91 33 25250078, 25250113.
- Hotel Shivangan, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani (Jora Mandir, Baguiati), ☎ . Rs. 1,900-2,800.
- Rose Valley Hotel, RGM 25/3010, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Raghunathpur, Baguiati, ☎ .
- Palash Hotel, 125 Jessore Road (Near Barasat Hospital), ☎ .
- Hotel Windsor, Rishi Bankim Chandra Road, ☎ .
- Annapurna Hotel, Taki Road, ☎ .
- For places to sleep in Barrackpore see Barrackpore
For the past several years Barasat has, from time to time, been in the news for crime in general and against women in particular. The victims have generally been local people and life has gone on. However, those traveling to Barasat may keep a note of the emergency police number:100.