Überlingen is a city of 23,000 people (2020) in the south of Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany. It is part of the Bodensee region (Lake Constance) bordering Austria, Switzerland and Germany.
Überlingen is serviced by Germany's Deutsche Bahn[dead link] railway and bus network. The main line from Basel Bad (Switzerland) to Ulm runs through Überlingen. Routes from Zurich to Stuttgart offer transfers at Singen to go to Überlingen.
Regional bus line 7395 runs between Überlingen and Friedrichshafen (Hafen) every half-hour during the week, hourly on weekends. There is a stop at the car and passenger ferry in Meersburg, and several of the smaller towns, such as Hagnau, along the lakeshore route.
The long-distance bus company Flixbus makes stops at the central bus station next to the main train stop in Überlingen on an irregular schedule. Regularly served Flixbus stops can be found in Meersburg, Konstanz or Radolfzell.
There is a bicycle circuit the entire way around Lake Constance, passing through Überlingen. There's a free air-pump station at the main train stop.
There are also ferries operating from other cities bordering Lake Constance, including Constance, Meersburg, Rorschach and Bregenz (Austria). The Meersburg-Constance ferry includes car service.
A seasonal boat service operates three times a day on the route: Bodman - Ludwigshafen - Sipplingen - Überlingen.
There are 8 local bus routes around town which converge at the central bus station next to the main train stop. The German train service has three stops (Therme, Mitte and Nussdorf) in Überlingen, but the fast regional trains (IRE) serve only the central stop. Much of Überlingen, though hilly, is walkable, particularly along the lakeside promenade. Bicycles are also an excellent form of transport.
The center of Überlingen is a pedestrian area and cars are discouraged, in part through the lack of parking spots. There are three public parking garages (first 30 minutes are free) and two open-air car parks, including a park-and-ride car park at the northwest edge of town (near the hospital), which includes a day-pass for public transportation.
- 1 Middle age town centre and remains of town wall defences.
- 2 Goldbacher Stollen (Überlinger Stollen), Obere Bahnhofsstraße 28, firstname.lastname@example.org. Public tours every 1st Friday of the month at 17:00. Underground facility built during World War II for arms manufacturing. 170 prisoners died during the construction of the underground shelter. Free. Donations welcomed.
- 3 Bodensee Rider (Bodenseereiter). Sculpture by Peter Lenk
- 4 St. Nikolaus Kirche (St. Nicholas church). The Frescoes, windows and carvings are beautiful.
- Wednesday and Saturday markets in the city-centre.
- 1 City Museum at Reichlin House.
- Walk through city's moat. Takes about 90 minutes. Maps are available.
- City walk. Admire houses in the old Fachwerk style.
- Check out the Archives or the city tour guide center. The Archivist gives very interesting tours of the old city.
- 2 Bodenseetherme. Indoor/outdoor spa located immediately west of city.
- Spetzgarten hike.
Many Greek restaurants such as Mykonos have local seafood available. There are also some Italian restaurants and German restaurants all along the lake side for al fresco dining.
- 1 Bürgerbräu, Aufkircher Strasse 20, ☏ +49 7551 92740, fax: +49 7551 66017, email@example.com. Sa Su 11:30-14:00, W-Su 17:30-21:00, closed M Tu. Creative cooking, fish specialities ~€50 for 3-course meal.
- Zur faulen Magd, Rauenstein Straße.. Simple local pizzeria.
- Café Pizzeria allegretto.
- 2 Gasthaus zur Krone, ☏ +49 7551 9199 33.
- 3 Hotel Ochsen, Münsterstrasse 48, ☏ +49 7551 919960, fax: +49 7551 3290, firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Su 11:45-13:45, daily 17:30-21:45, but closed Mondays in winter season. Badish specialities, regional ingredients, beer parlour
- 1 Hotel Wiestor, Wiestorstr.17, ☏ +49 7551 83060.
- Campingplatz Denz Köhne, Nußdorf, ☏ +49 7551 4121.
- Campingplatz Nell, Nußdorf, ☏ +49 7551 4254.
- Martin Buber Jungendherberge +49 75 51 42 04 (Youthhostel)
- Hotel Garni Zähringer Hof +49 7551 63665 (Classic style German hotel, postwar decor, breakfast provided).