The Bodensee Region of Germany in the federal state of Baden-Württemberg, consists of the coastline of Lake Constance, known as Bodensee in German, and Upper Swabia (Oberschwaben) immediately to its north. Lake Constance itself is within Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
- 1 Konstanz - a beautiful port city picturesquely located at the western tip of the Lake, where the river Rhine flows out of it
- 2 Friedrichshafen - known for the longest lakeshore promenade and prominent contributions to the history of aviation
- 3 Meersburg - a town on the shore of Lake Constance, with two castles - a medieval and a baroque one
- 4 Pfullendorf - with the Hohenzollern Castle
- 5 Radolfzell - beautifully located further west from Konstanz, with mementoes to long and rich history
- 6 Ravensburg - the medieval inland city which is just as nice as the famous jigsaw puzzles made there
- 7 Rot an der Rot - a small town around a large baroque abbey
- 8 Sigmaringen - one of Germany's most beautiful castles on a tall rock over the river Danube
- 9 Tettnang - the local capital of beer
- 10 Überlingen - the second-largest city in Bodenseekreis, with both architectural and natural wonders
- 11 Wangen im Allgäu - an important centre for local trade and industry in the Middle Ages
- 12 Bad Schussenried
- 1 Mainau - garden island with flowers and a park landscape with views on the lake
- 2 Reichenau - The largest island in Lake Constance
- 3 Uhldingen-Mühlhofen - a reconstructed early settlement on stilts at the shore of Lake Constance
Only two Landkreise in the Bodensee Region actually have access to the Bodensee - the aptly-named Bodensee-Kreis around Friedrichshafen, and Landkreis Konstanz, centred around the namesake city. The other three Landkreise in the Region - Biberach, Ravensburg and Sigmaringen - are at the core of Upper Swabia, with a gently hilly landscape and a number of medieval and baroque castles and quaint little towns and villages. Although not immediately adjacent to the lake, they share a cultural and geographic continuum with the lakeside areas and, due to the small distance, are most often visited together.
The only airport in the region with scheduled passenger service is that of Friedrichshafen. Konstanz is one hour by train from Zurich Airport. Ravensburg, Sigmaringen and Friederichshafen can also be reached by direct train from Stuttgart. Changing at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof allows a connection to Stuttgart Airport.
- See also: Intercity buses in Germany
As well as the restaurants in the towns around the area, also consider some on the cruise ships with restaurants on the lake.