Jump to navigation Jump to search
Laupheim is a small town in the Bodensee Region.
- 1 Großlaupheim Castle, Klaus-Graf-Stauffenberg-Straße 15,88471 Laupheim (Castle is situated on a hill on the verge of the city close to the local parish church), ☏ .
The existence of a castle in Laupheim was documented for the first time around the year 1100. There is no evidence that the castle was built with anything more than a wooden structure. This castle existed until the Peasants' War in 1525, when it was destroyed by rebellious peasants. After the end of hostilities, the peasants were forced to rebuild the castle in stone. The structure as it stands today was erected in three different phases.
16th century: Feudal Castle ("Lehenschloss") It consists of a three-storey, square edifice with two flanking round towers.
1660 and 1680: New Castle ("Neues Schloss") Early Baroque square flanked by arcades and a gateway
middle of the 17th century: Little Castle ("Kleines Schlössle") Somewhat removed but still part of the complex. It was used by the Freiherren von Welden as dwelling place for the widows of former rulers of Laupheim. On a terrace below the castle buildings, a small rose garden was designed in Baroque-style.
- 2 Museum of the History of Christians and Jews (Museum zur Geschichte von Christen und Juden), Claus-Graf-Stauffenberg-Straße 15 88471 Laupheim, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The Museum of the History of Christians and Jews is situated in Großlaupheim Castle. It is unique in Germany in that its collection concentrates on the documentation of the relationship between Christians and Jews on a local level, using Laupheim, which once had the largest Jewish community in the Kingdom of Württemberg, as an example. The exhibition documents in chronological order all aspects of more than 200 years of Jewish life in Laupheim.
- 3 Castle Park (Schloßpark) (The park is situated at the bottom of the hill on top of which Schloss Großlaupheim lies). The castle park was designed in the English Style by Kilian von Steiner. A huge number of trees, meadows and lakes created an impressive appearance. Originally, it was well known for its exotic trees and plants. Formerly, there were five lakes, which, during winter, provided a brewery with ice. During summer, the lakes were used for raising trout. However, the maintenance of the ground and the lakes was neglected due to a lack of council funding. In the 2010s, efforts have been made to restore the park, at least in parts, to its former glory. In 2011, the park was declared a "Garden Monument' by the state of Baden-Württemberg's National Trust.
- 4 St. Peter and Paul. The Parish Church St Peter and Paul, built between 1623 and 1661, lies in close proximity to Großlaupheim Castle. It was designed by Martino I. Barbieri from Roveredo in Baroque-style, showing influences of manierism.
- 5 Kleinlaupheim Castle (Schloß Kleinlaupheim) (situated on a hill south-west of the river Rottum within the city limits of Laupheim). It was built between 1766 and 1769 as a place of residence for the ruler of Kleinlaupheim at the time, the Freiherr Joseph Ignaz von Welden-Kleinlaupheim (1721–1802). It was designed by Johann Georg Specht of Lindenberg in Baroque-style. It consists of a three-storey building with a curved mansard roof. Pilasters, cornices and gables enliven the facade of the building. Inside there is a remarkable grand staircase in the vestibule. It now houses the local police station and also an art gallery, Die Wache Galerie, a pun on words in that Wache can mean "police station", "alert" or "awake".
- 6 Planetarium and Public Observatory. The Planetarium and Public Observatory of Laupheim counts about 40,000 visitors each year. It is run on a mostly voluntary basis by the club Volkssternwarte Laupheim e.V. (founded 1975), providing high quality astronomical education. The work of the club has been recognized by astronomer Carolyn Shoemaker, who named the planetoid 7167 Laupheim in honour of the institution.
- Kinder- und Heimatfest (Heimatfest), Jahnstraße 16, 88471 Laupheim. Takes place around last week of June. Its a rather big fair considering the size of the town with many attraction.
- Brunnenfest. On the last Sunday of the summer holidays, the traditional Brunnenfest (fountain party) takes place in the city centre. A huge street party, it is concentrated on the Upper and Lower Market Square. The name of the event derives from the Poseidon/Neptune-fountain, situated in the Upper Market Square. A great number of stalls serves Swabian and international cuisine as well as a large variety of beverages. The stalls are organised and manned by local clubs. Concert bands, Jazz bands and Volksmusik bands entertain visitors. On a stage dance and sport performances are shown. Additionally, a flea market is held at the same time.
- Laupheimer Hof (AKZENT Hotel), Rabenstraße 13, ☏ .