Albenga is a town in Liguria, it as ancient town with a well preserved historical centre and a seaside resort.
Unlike many other towns on the Ligurian riviera, Albenga has a mostly flat or even urban area. The town sits on a river plane at the mouth of the Centa river.
The town was probably established in pre-Roman times. The present historical centre is medieval but laid out in a grid originating from the Roman castrum (fortified military camp). Among it's key buildings are the modest 6th century Baptistry, more striking are the many towers rising above the roofs.
- By train:
- By air:
- There is an international airport 6 km from the city
- Genova international airport is some 90 km from Albenga
- Nice - Côte d'Azur is a major international airport in France, 110 km from Albenga.
The historical centre is perfect for strolling. In fact it is so small that for most people other transport is not needed. The distance between the historical centre and the beach is a bit long for frequent hikes, but it is a pleasant hike along tree-lined avenues with modest traffic. Unlike many other towns in the region, Albenga is quite flat and cycling is not hard work.
- The Baptisery (Middle of historical centre.). Modest but important 5th century christian monument. In the middle of the historical centre.
- [dead link]La Dolce Vita, Viale Italia 71/73 (Main street near the beach). Pizzeria and restaurant
- Caffe 33 gold, via Medaglie d'oro 33. Friendly and lively bar in the middle of the historical centre.
- Marisa. 3*** Convenient location for the beach and the station.