Finale Ligure is a town in Liguria of about 12,000 inhabitants. Finale Ligure consists of three formerly independent towns: Finalmarina (Finale Marina) close to the sea, Finalpia (Finale Pia) also on the sea and finally Final Borgo (Finalborgo) slightly inland. Today, the three parts are completely grown together, but the old center of each part can still be noticed. This is most obvious in Finalborgo, where the cosy old town with its small streets is still surrounded by the original town wall. Finale Ligure is popular with families for the beaches, the climbers for the limestone mountains and the bikers.
There are direct train connections from Genova about every 30 minutes (1 hour) and from Milan about every 2 hours (2.5 hours). Irregular direct trains from La Spezia exist also. Coming from France (Nice) you have to change in Ventimiglia. From Switzerland you have to change trains in Milan and possibly also in Genova. The train station is in Finalmarina and called Finale Ligure Marina.
The nearest airports are in Genova (GOA) and in Nice (NCE). They are about 45 minutes and 1.5 hours respectively by car. Neither airport is connected to the railway network. However, there are regular buses connecting the airport and the main train station.
The downtowns of Finale are small and everything is in walking distance. Even moving between the different centres is a mere 15 minutes walk. There's public bike sharing available if you need a bike for a ride around town (see below).
Driving by car can be a hassle due to the narrow streets and many of it being one way only.
Hitchhiking is a convenient way to get to the climbing sites outside of town.
- Basilica di S. Giovanni Battista
- Chiesa dei Neri
- Chiesa Frati Capuccini
- Arco di Margherita di Spagna
- Arco di Re Carlo Alberto
- Fortezza die Castelfranco
- Santuario di S. Maria Pia
- Cappella di S. Antonio al Monte
- Mausoleo Maresciallo Caviglia
The historic centre of Finalborgo was for many centuries the capital of the Marquisate and the administrative centre of Finale. It is situated in a strategic position at the confluence of the Porra and Aquila rivers. Finalborgo was thought to have been founded around the end of the 12th century, but archaeological discoveries date back its foundation to some centuries before.
Finalborgo is a walled town characterized by its 15th century structure established following the war with Genoa.
- Basilica di S. Biagio - baroque church
- Chiostri di S. Caterina
- Castel Gavone
- Castel S. Giovanni
- Palazzo Ricci
- Palazzo Arnaldi
- Palazzo del Tribunale
- Porta Reale
- Porta Testa
- Tourist Information, Via S.Pietro, 14, Finale Ligure (on the promenade between Finalmarina and Finalpia), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Monday to friday from 9AM to 12.30 am and 3PM to 7PM. Lots of information on activities. Staff moderately helpful.
- Climbing! That's the reason most people come here.
- Bike Sharing, Ufficio Turismo, via Ghiglieri 6 (near the train station), ☎ . It's a public bike sharing service by Finale Ligure. You have to fill in a form, pay the deposit and you get the key to use the basic bikes. One of the bike deposits is on the roundabout in front of the train station. free, 15€ (deposit).
- Bike Rental Riviera Outdoor, via Nicotera 3, Finale Ligure (in Finalborgo), ☎ .
There are plenty of restaurants and also the cafes have sometimes decent food available. Most restaurants do Italian standard fare.
- Da Tonino, Pizzeria Trattoria, Via Bolla 7. Authentic pizzeria with good prices, even during low season crowded with Italians Local Farinata or Pizza starting from 4 €.
Hotels often state a minimum stay of 3 or 4 days during high season period (July and August). Nevertheless, it is still possible to stay for shorter periods on request. Some hotels cater to specific target groups such as families, bikers and climbers and quite a few are pet-friendly.
There is a free camping area between the city and the highway which belongs to a little pizzeria. The area provides very basic showers and toilets.
- Eurocamping Calvisio (3 stars), via Calvisio 37, Finale Ligure (north of Finalpia), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Has swimming-pool, bar, restaurant, pizzeria and minimarket. Also apartments for rent. For a tent and 2 adults: from 36€ (high season).
- Il Mulino (2 star), via castelli, Finale Ligure (in Finalpia), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. also bungalows for rent. For a tent and 2 adults: from 24€ (high season).
- Tahiti (2 stars), via Varese 1, Finale Ligure (in Finalpia), ☎ , fax: . Has a bar, a little market, a restaurant and a tennis court. Also bungalows for rent. For a tent and 2 adults: from 23.50€ (high season).
- Camping Terre Rosse, Loc. Manie 40/bis 17024 Finale Ligure (between Finalpia and Noli), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Has restaurant (also Take-away). For a tent and 2 adults: from 20€ (high season).
There are no hostels in Finale Ligure. The closest one can be found in Savona. During off season some rooms can be had for a bargain.
- Albergo Dei Fiori, via Concezione 10, Finale Ligure (in Finalmarina, on the coastal road), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Double room: 92€/day (2 persons, high season) incl. breakfast.
- Residence Glicini, via Bolognani 5, Finale Ligure (in Finalpia), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A self-catering hotel. Significantly lower prices during off season. Studio from approx. 600€/week (2 persons, high season).
- Hotel San Giuseppe, Via G. A. Silla, Finale Ligure (in Finalmarina, near train station), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Offers specific services targeting families and bikers. Double room from 172€/day (2 persons, high season) incl. full board.
- Punta Est, Via Aurelia 1, Finale Ligure (east end of Finalpia, on the coastal road), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: from 2PM, check-out: until 12AM. Has private beach (additional cost). Double room from 220€/day (2 persons, high season) incl. breakfast.