- For other places with the same name, see Alcobaça (disambiguation).
Alcobaça (ahl-koo-BAH-suh, /aɫ.ku.ˈba.sɐ/), on the banks of the rivers Alcoa and Baça, dates back to the 12th century. The municipality has 54,981 residents (2021 preliminary), with about 7,000 living in the city. The municipality includes seven towns: Alfeizerão, Aljubarrota, Benedita, Cela, Pataias, São Martinho do Porto, and Turquel.
- Comboios de Portugal (CP , Trains of Portugal), ☏ . PDF timetable. Multiple daily Regional and InterRegional trains connect Alcobaça municipality with other locations along Portugal's west coast on the Linha do Oeste (Western Line), including Lisbon, Caldas da Rainha, Torres Vedras, Leiria, Coimbra, and points in between. Old infrastructure and meandering around hills mean that the train is usually slower than the bus. Four stations serve the municipality.
- 1 Valado–Nazaré–Alcobaça train station, Valado dos Frades. The train station nearest Alcobaça is in an outlying village in an adjacent municipality.
- 2 São Martinho do Porto train station (just E of the beach).
- 3 Pataias train station.
- 4 Martingança train station.
- 5 Alcobaça bus terminal, Av. Manuel da Silva Carolino 1.
- 6 São Martinho do Porto long-distance bus stop, Rua Marechal Carmona 58, São Martinho do Porto (adjacent to the Intermarché supermarket).
- Rede Expressos (Rede Nacional de Expressos), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This national coach company offers express service from several cities.
- Rodoviária do Oeste (RDO), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This regional coach company provides service to nearby cities, towns, villages, and beaches in the Oeste region. It also offers some special "rapid" services.
- Rápida Rosa. RDO offers Rápida Rosa (Pink Rapid) service between São Martinho do Porto and Caldas da Rainha, Nazaré, Leiria, and select stops in between.
- 1 Monastery of Alcobaça (Mosteiro de Alcobaça, Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Alcobaça). A 12th-century Cistercian Gothic monastery, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was founded by Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal. The monastery holds the tombs of King Pedro I and his mistress, Inês de Castro. Inês was killed on orders from King Afonso IV, Pedro's father. After Pedro became king, he had Inês's body dug up and crowned as queen. He took revenge on her killers.
- 2 Wine Museum, Rua do Olival Fechado, ☏ . Tu-Su, 11AM-3PM.
- 1 Baía de São Martinho do Porto (Bay of São Martinho do Porto), Avenida Marginal, São Martinho do Porto. The calm waters of the bay are favored by families with small children and others who just want to relax in the sea. If sand and saltwater are not your speed, you can walk along the cobbled sidewalk and take in the nearby cafés.
- 1 Restaurante António Padeiro, R. Dr. Maur Cocheril 27 (near the main square). 12:00–15:30 & 19:00–22:00 daily.
- 2 Nova Caravela, Rua Cândido dos Reis 25D, São Martinho do Porto, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:30–15:30 & 19:00–22:00 (closed Th). Fresh fish and seafood right on the seashore. €15–€60.
- 1 Challet Fonte Nova, Rua da Fonte Nova, n.8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Hotel Concha, Largo Vitorino Fróis 21 & 23, São Martinho do Porto, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This three-star, 30-room hotel is a short walk from the beach. €58–€98.
- 3 Hotel Santo António da Baía, Rua dos Bombeiros Voluntários, São Martinho do Porto, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel Santo António da Baía is a 22-room, three-star establishment. Although the bay (baía) is in the name, the hotel is about 600 m (2,000 ft) from the beach. $54–$135.
- 4 Hotel Santa Maria, R. Dr. Francisco Zagalo, 20/22, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A three star hotel.
- Fátima (Sanctuary of Our Lady) – Place of the worldwide famous Marian apparitions.
- Batalha – has a nice monastery.
- Caldas da Rainha – charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life
- Leiria – with its famous castle.
- Nazaré – a picture-postcard beach town, lately noted for its surfing
- Óbidos – walled hilltop medieval town
- Peniche – beaches and water sports, access to the Berlengas archipelago
- Pinhal de Leiria, pinewood forest.
- Tomar – Convento de Cristo, UNESCO World Heritage Site