It has a population of about 200 people and is near the western end of Lake Sakakawea. Its elevation is 2,180 feet.
US Highway 85, about 22 miles west and north of Watford City.
Sloulin Field in Williston is about 20 miles to the north.
Getting around the town itself by foot should be simple, but traveling outside of the city requires a car.
There's plenty of nice scenery in the area, particularly to the south. Most of the countryside is grassland.
- 1 Lewis and Clark Trail Museum, Highway 85 North, ☏ . Memorial Day thru Labor Day, M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 1PM-5PM. The largest museum in northwestern North Dakota. Eight display rooms featuring cars, machinery, homestead artifacts and a Lewis and Clark panorama. Adults $2, teens , 12-under free when accompanied by adult.
- 2 Missouri River, Highway 85 North (A few miles north of town). Also, if you go east from Alexander, you can see Sakakawea Lake.
Eat and drink
- 1 Country Cafe, 718 Elk Street (Close to the Ragged Butte Inn).
- Alexander Campground (City Park), ☏ . Primitive camping.
- 1 Ragged Butte Inn, 804 Elk St, ☏ . 18 Rooms, RV hookups.
|Routes through Alexander|
|Fortuna ← Williston ←||N S||→ Watford City → Spearfish|
|Sidney ← Cartwright ←||W E||→ Watford City → Washburn|