Amadora (/ɐ.mɐ.ˈdo.ɾɐ/, uh-muh-DOH-ruh) is one of Portugal's smallest municipalities with an area of 23.79 km2 (9.19 sq mi). It has 175,136 residents (2011), making it the most densely populated in the country. Although lacking the sights and excitement of Lisbon, this bedroom community with excellent transport links to the capital makes a good budget-friendly base to stay at.
Amadora has three stations on the northwest end of the Blue Line (Linha Azul) of the Lisbon Metro (Metropolitano de Lisboa):
- Vimeca / Lisboa Transportes provides service from Sintra and Oeiras and within Amadora itself.
- Carris and Rodoviária de Lisboa provide service from Lisbon, Odivelas, and Loures.
Amadora is served by four motorways:
- A9 (CREL, Circular Regional Exterior de Lisboa)
- A16 (Circular Exterior da Área Metropolitana de Lisboa)
- IC17 (CRIL, Circular Regional Interior de Lisboa, a/k/a A36)
- IC19 (Radial de Sintra, a/k/a A37).
- 1 Necrópole de Carenque (Necropolis of Carenque), Avenida Luis de Sá, Serra das Brancas, ☏ , email@example.com. Archaeological site consisting of three well-preserved late Neolithic collective or tombs, dating back to about 3000 BCE. National monument. Free.
- Football: CF Estrela da Amadora were promoted in 2023 so they play soccer in Primeira Liga, Portugal's top tier. Their home ground Estádio José Gomes (capacity 9300) is 500 west of Reboleira railway station.
- 1 KidZania Lisboa, Centro Comercial UBBO, Loja 1054 , Avenida Cruzeiro Seixas 7, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. An indoor theme park for kids. It's a miniature city with streets, buildings, an airport, TV studios, shops, and career roleplay (in fifty professions). KidZania even has its own currency and economy. Let your kids see what it's like living in the grownup world...sort of. Parents can join in the fun. Average visits last three hours. Ages 0–2 free, ages 3–4 €14.50, ages 5–15 €22.50, adults €10, seniors €8.
- Amadora BD (Festival Internacional de Banda Desenhada da Amadora). late Oct–early Nov. An annual international comic book festival. Many famous names from the comic book world participate.
- 1 Centro Comercial UBBO (formerly Dolce Vita Tejo), Avenida Cruzeiro Seixas 5 & 7 ( to Rodoviária de Lisboa route 231 or 291), ☏ , email@example.com. Su–Th 10:00–23:00, F Sa 10:00–00:00. One of the biggest shopping malls in Europe.
- 1 Lugar ao Sul, Avenida Eduardo Jorge 8B, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 12:00–15:00, F Sa 12:00–15:00 & 19:30–22:00. Alentejan regional cooking. €10-30.
- 2 Maria Azeitona, Rua Alfredo Keil 16, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–22:00. Various Portuguese meat and fish dishes. €10-15.
- 3 O Quintal, Rua Bernardim Ribeiro 5B, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–23:00. Cozy place with Portuguese comfort food. €10-20.
- 1 Hotel Amadora Palace, Avenida Santos Matos 1, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Two-star, 29-room hotel. €54-67.
- 2 Ibis Lisboa Alfragide, Alto de Cabreira, Estrada da Circunvalação, ☏ , H5270@accor.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Two-star, 129 room hotel. €52-74.
- 3 Hotel Primavera, Rua Elias Garcia 342, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Two-star, 23-room accommodation. €34-67.