Ambarawa is like many towns in the highlands of Central Java that are cooler above the low lying north coast. It is known as the location of a historic railway and railway museum.
- 1 Ambarawa Railway Museum (Museum Kereta Api Ambarawa), Jl Setasiun No.1, Panjang, ☎ . A steam railway museum. Some of the locomotives are still operational but there is no regular service. It is possible to charter a train to the nearby station of Tuntang. Entrance fee Rp10,000.
- 2 Palagan Ambarawa Monument. A monument to commemorate the Battle of Ambarawa, in which the Indonesian army defeated the British and Dutch troops in 1945.
Ride the steam train from Ambarawa train station to Bedono station.
Eva Coffee House - a coffee shop whose coffee comes from a local farm of the same owner. They also sell gudeg manggar (young coconut flowers stewed with coconut milk and some herbs). Jl Raya Bedono, Ambarawa.
The telephone area code of Ambarawa is 0298.
- Close by
- Bandungan, a mountainous resort, 8 km away
- Salatiga, 14 km away
- Banaran Agrotourism Park - (Kampoeng Kopi Banaran)  [dead link] less than 10 minutes away.
- Rawa Pening, a small lake less than 10 minutes away from Ambarawa.