Temanggung lies at the foot of Mount Sumbing. The climate is quite cool, ideal for tobacco planting. It is said that tobacco from Temanggung is the best in Java, making the town a major tobacco-growing centre. Several tobacco companies have warehouses in the city.
- Jumprit Forest Park.
- 1 Posong, Jl Parakan-Wonosobo Km 09, Tlahab village, Kledung district, (Off the north side of the Kledung Pass between Sindoro and Sumbing volcanoes). This is a viewpoint on the southern slopes of Mount Sumbing, facing south. In clear weather, it should be possible to see across a good swathe of Central Java - Mount Slamet in the west, past Mount Sumbing, the twin peaks of Merapi and Merbabu to the southeast, and Ungaran to the northeast. If lucky, maybe across to Mount Lawu on the border with East Java. Getting up early to be there for the sunrise will probably be the safest bet for a clear view.
- Swim at Pikatan Fountain and Water Park.
Vegetables at the local market
- 1 Spedagi, Krajan 1 RT 2/RW 7 Desa Kandangan, Kandangan, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-16:00 Monday to Saturday. Bamboo bicycles. A manifestation of the Village Revitalization movement, which aims to empower villages to become sustainable and self-sufficient communities by offering high-quality, meaningful employment opportunities to local people.
- 2 Alura Amara, Kandangan (Kandangan to Rawaseneng road, km 0.2, Punduhan), ☎ . A social enterprise offering high quality work to local community members. Painted and varnished wooden furniture, homewares, toys and lighting.
- 1 Rumah Makan Ani, Jl Raya Parakan-Kedu Km. 2 (On the northern ringroad around the town.), ☎ . This is a travellers' roadhouse, nothing special. But service is quick, the food is fine, and it is clean. The bathrooms are clean. If you are on a long roadtrip across Java, you might be grateful for it.
- 2 Waroeng Jambronk, Jl MT Haryono 56 (Just to the west of the alun-alun, on the north side of the road.), ☎ . A "warung gaul" (place for hanging out) with a selection of tea, coffee, juices, and plates of rice (fried rice, sate lilit), fried noodles, and fried snacks. Rp25,000.
Beer is not easily available in Temanggung. Bring your own.
- 1 Aliyana Hotel, Jl KH. Agus Salim No. 7, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Small resort-style hotel in the town centre. Swimming pool, spa. Rp400,000-1,200,000.
- Indraloka Kusuma Hotel, Jl Suwandi Suwardi 3, ☎ , . Class: 1 Star. Daun Mas Resto restaurant and free wifi. Satellite TV, fridge, bath (inside the room) with hot/cold water, and breakfast as well as a wide selection of dishes that may be ordered directly through the Daun Mas Resto restaurant. From US$7 to US$25.
- Hotel Kintamani.
- Hotel Nirwana.
- Dieng Plateau — upland volcanic plain, west of Temanggung.