Magelang is an administrative and military academy city in the mountains in Central Java province in Indonesia.
By plane or train
The nearest airport and train station are in Jogja, 36 km (22 mi) away, or in Semarang.
From Yogyakarta, you can get to Magelang by bus for about Rp35,000. The trip takes an hour.
The basic price is Rp5,000 and Rp2,500 per km. You can also get around by bus, mini bus, horse cart, or by pedicab.
- 1 OHD Museum, Jl Jenggolo No.14 (One-hour drive from Yogyakarta Adisucipto International Airport and two-hour drive from Solo Adi Sumarmo International Airport. Two to three hours drive from Semarang.), ☏ , fax: . W-M 10:00–17:00. Last entry 16:00. Closed on public holidays.. The private collection of modern Indonesian art of Oei Hong Djien. There are two parts to the collection. This museum hosts the changing exhibitions. The permanent collection is housed in a separate building attached to his home, also in Magelang. It may be possible to see the permanent collection by asking at the museum. Indonesian ID card holders: Rp50,000 (adults), Rp25,000 (students); non-Indonesian ID card holders: Rp100,000 (adults), Rp50,000 (students). Children under six free..
- The Chicken Church. a chicken shaped church with a peculiar history.
- Diponegoro Museum (Museum Diponegoro). Featuring Prince Diponegoro, a national hero.
- Kedung Khayang Waterfall.
- Merapi Volcano Park and Ketep Pass.
- Sekarlangit Waterfall.
- Taman Kyai Langgeng (Kyai Langgeng Park), Jl Cempaka No.6, ☏ , . 08:00-17:00. An educational-cum-recreational park which features rare plants, dinosaur statues, airplane prototypes. It provides a playground with some facilities. Rafting can be organised (when the nearby Progo River is in full flow). Rp20,000 weekdays, Rp25,000 weekends.
- Citra Elo Rafting, Borobudur, Magelang, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Whitewater rafting on the Elo river.
- 1 Volcanic stone carvings (Along the road south of Magelang towards Yogyakarta, especially around the small towns of Muntilan and Mungkid.). Many stalls selling carved stone items, including statues, garden lamps, mortar and pestles.
Pick up some getuk (GUH-took) for the folks back home, a sweet delicacy made from cassava and sugar. Steamed, coloured and topped with grated coconut. Getuk Trio has three differently-coloured layers: yellow, pink and brown.
- 1 Pancoran Restaurant, Jl Daha No.1, Kemirirejo, ☏ . daily 09:00 to 21:00 every day. Chinese. Serves pork.
- 2 Banaran 9 Coffee, Desa Gemawang, Jambu district (On the west side of the main road between Magelang and Semarang), ☏ . A roadhouse run by the state-owned plantation company whose coffee plantations flank the road at this point. An acceptable place to pull in for a quick break if on a long road trip or if the road is jammed. Bathrooms are kept clean, food is standard plates of rice and chicken etc served quickly and hot. And the coffee isn't bad either.
If it has been one of those days, and you can't think whether you want to eat rice or noodles, just have both. Nasi Magelangan (NAH-see mah-GUH-lang-an), or rice in the Magelang style, is a mixture of fried rice and fried noodles, for that fried carb on fried carb hit. Widely available across the region, it is also known as nasi ruwet (NAH-see ROO-wuht) or 'complicated rice'.
- Hotel Catur, Jl Mayjen Bambang Sugeng No.308, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Mesa Stila (formerly Losari Coffee Plantation), Jl Losari, Losari, Grabag, Kalipucang (Just to the east of the road between Magelang and Semarang, about 60 km (37 mi) south of Semarang), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual traditional Javanese houses serve as villas in a high-altitude coffee plantation landscape. Volcano views and yoga retreats. Hammam and spa. Rp2,500,000 per night.
- Ning Tidar Hotel, Jl Purworejo-Magelang KM 5 (about 6 km (3.7 mi) from Borobudur), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. In the middle of nowhere apart from a smoky internet cafe nearby, so it is not the most convenient location. However, it is a good option when the closer hotels are booked out, as they frequently are. It is a nice property for the price, and they can organise taxis to Borobudur. 24-hour restaurant service. From Rp350,000.
- Hotel Sriti, Jl Daha No.23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Hotel Trio, Jl Jend. Sudirman No.72 (right opposite the Artos Mall), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Rp400,000.
- Ambarawa and on to Semarang. If going by car, consider going via Salatiga over the shoulder of Mount Merbabu and the mountain village of Kopeng. Not much quicker but more scenic as the roads climbs up to 1,500 km (930 mi) above sea level.
- Borobudur — an 8th-century Buddhist stupa and temple complex. One of world's truly great ancient monuments, the single largest Buddhist structure anywhere on earth. Few who visit fail to be taken by both the scale of place, and the remarkable attention to detail that went into the construction. Set in the heart of the verdant Kedu Plain, the backdrop of mighty active volcanoes only enhances the sense of awe and drama. A UNESCO World Heritage Site.