Bus companies operating international lines via Andorra la Vella:
- Novatel operates from Andorra la Vella to Toulouse, Barcelona and Girona.
- Alsa operates between Andorra and Spain.
- Montmantell operates between Andorra and Lleida.
You should be able to walk around most of Andorra la Vella. The town is really in two parts. There is the newer section at the North end of the town that is very commercial with lots of shops. The other half is the older half, down across the river and to the South and West. This also has quite a number of shops and places to eat and also the historic part.
If you stay in either of these areas, you can easily cover on foot, but walking from the end of one half to the other will take a good half hour or more, so it is worth taking the local bus which is cheap. Be sure to read the timetable and routes carefully on the bus stop.
- 1 Església de Sant Esteve (Church of Saint Stephen), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. July to August: daily, 10.00-13.00 & 15.00-19.00. Dated from the 12th century. It is in the old part of the Andorra la Vella. Free-guided tour. The rest of the year only at mass hours.
- Church of Sant Andreu, Sant Andreu St., ☎ . Mon to Sat.. Romanesque church dated from the 12th century. It is obligatory to reserve by phone.
- Casa de la Vall. Mon to Sat 09.30-13.00 & 15.00-19.00 Sundays (from May to October) from 10 to 14h. The seat of the Consell General (Andorran Parliament). Dating from the 16th century. Free-guided tour.
- Bridge of la Margineda, Santa Coloma. This bridge dates from medieval times but is still in perfect condition. Nearby there is a metallic sculpture made by the Valencian sculptor Andreu Alfaro.
- Rec del Solà and Rec de l’Obac. Paved ways with handrails illuminated in the night. They are 2,5 km long. Starting point: Col·legi Sant Ermengol road and Tarragona avenue, respectively.
- The town square. This is a surprisingly peaceful place with a panoramic view of the Valley of Andorra.
- Parliament building and old town. The parliament building is a relatively modern building and you can walk around up the hill behind it and go onto the roof where there is a type of mini park. On a nice day, there is a great view out over the valley across and looking South towards Santa Coloma. From here you can head back up the hill slightly to the right and visit the old church of St Esteve. Behind it, is an interesting little area filled with narrow streets which is clearly the original location of the settlement.
- Park Central. Open clock 6-24. Park with small pond.
- Caldea, ☎ . You can visit the spa/sauna/swimming complex Caldea. It is located at the top of the town in the large glass spire structure.
The cultural landscape of Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley, which was inscribed in the World heritage list in 2006, can only be accessed on foot. It offers great hiking and climbing possibilities in summer and in winter ski mountaineering or walking with snowshoes is an option.
The best bargains can be obtained in electronic goods and jewelry. High cost items tend to be cheaper than anywhere else because of the low tax.
The great thing about the electronic goods like digital cameras is that there are a huge range of shops and a huge stock range, so you really get to see all the different makes and models.
Some of the larger shops seem to stock a lot of brand label clothing. Don't miss out on the Via Moda Group.... especially during sales.
There are loads of ski gear shops. The best advice is to shop around.
- Pyrenees, Avinguda Meritxell 11. Department store with several floors. There are various family friendly restaurants, a large electronic goods floor, designer label floors, and a supermarket notable for interesting Andorran and Spanish specialty foods and red wines.
- Andorra 2000, Avinguda Tarragona 26. Supermarket sells electronic, clothes and food.
There are a number of reasonably priced restaurants, although many of them tend to be Italian food of pizza and pasta. Gourmets will naturally find good addresses with the prices to go with them. Beware!!!! You find almost nothing open after 10:30p.m. so plan ahead! El Vesuvio in nearby La Massana serves Italian and Moroccan food until 12am.
Drink and spirits especially are very good value in the supermarkets. Especially at the Hiper Andorra.
- Hotel Andorra Center, C/ Doctor Nequi, 12, AD500 Andorra La Vella - Andorra Andorra La Vella - Andorra, ☎ . nice 4 star hotel in the center of the town. Andorra Center is part of the Best Hotels Chain.
- Husa Centric Hotel. Located centrally in the main shopping area. This is part of the Husa chain in Spain.
- Hesperia Andorra la Vella, Avinguda Doctor Mitjavila, ☎ . Located in the heart of the capital, this hotel offers some fantastic views of the Pyrenees. Rooms from €59.
- Hotel Sant Jordi, Princep Benlloch 45, e-mail: email@example.com. Cheap price, breakfast included. But no air-conditioner. Double room €40/night.
- Pension la Rosa, Antic Carrer Major 18, just south of Avenue Princep Benloch, Andorra la Vella, ☎ .
- Hotel Oriol, Plaça Co-Princeps, 4, ☎ . €39.
- Oficina Nacional de Turismo, Carrer del Doctor Vilanova 13, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information for tourists, they give also the maps of Andorra.
- Belgium, Carrer Bra Riberaygua 39-4-3, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- France, Carrer Sobrevia 7-BP 155, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portugal, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- San Marino, Ave Princep Benlloch, 62-72, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spain, Prat de la Creu, 34, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Switzerland, Crowne Plaza Andorra, Carrer Prat de la Creu 88-89, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andorra la Vella is not a bad location if you want to go skiing because you can get either the local bus or the "Snow" bus up to most of the ski resorts. Most hotels during the ski season should have details.
The old town is worth visiting. It is up on the hill to the West and South of the main modern part of the town. It is quite old and quaint. You should cover it in about 2 or 3 hours.