Escaldes-Engordany is a parish (administrative division) mainly to the east of Andorra La Vella but with main village of the same name 1.6 km N of the capital of Andorra on the road to La Massana and Ordino.
By car, take the CG2 direction Pas de la Casa and France and turn north into Ave der Pessebre. Route map at ViaMichelin - Andorra La Vella to Escaldes-Engordany. Parking is available at Carrer del Prat Gran.
By bus, with the exception of e (express) bus to Sant Julia de Loria, all of the Andorra's local bus routes (L1 through L6) have stops in Escaldes-Endogrdany. International bus line between Toulouse and Andorra la Vella also stops here.
If you are in Andorra la Vella, simply walk east. Once you passed Carrer del Valria, you are in Escaldes-Engordany. If you don't prefer to walk, the LC circular bus route takes you from Andorra la Vella and back.
The entire tourist area can be explored on foot. Av. Carlemany is pedestrian street and closed off to traffic from 12:00 to midnight daily.
The greater part of Escaldes-Engordany stretches towards Spain and the east. Some wonderful walks are to be had up the Riu Madriu direction Pics del Pessons, the "lakes" and the Coll de Vall Civera.
- 1 Sant Miquel d’Engolasters, ☏ . From July to August: daily 10:00-13:00 and 15:00-18:00. The rest of the year only at mass hours. Romanesque style, dated from 12th century and restored on 20th century. It is notable the disproportion between the nave and the 17-m bell tower. It is obligatory to reserve beforehand. Free-guided tours.
- Casa Creu, 67 Carlemany Street. Modernist style, designed by the architect Josep Puig i Cadafalch. It is not possible to visit inside because it is a home address. From the 1930s.
- Roc del Metge. A hot spa, considered one of the hottest in Europe (70ºC).
- 2 Perfume Museum (Museu del Perfum), Avinguda Carlemany, 115, 1st floor.
- 3 The Carmen Thyssen Andorra Museum (Museu Carmen Thyssen Andorra), Av. Carlemany, 37, ☏ . Art museum that opened in March 2017.
- 4 Escaldes-Engordany Art Centre (Centre d'Art d'Escaldes-Engordany (CAEE)), Avinguda Carlemany, 30, ☏ . Art gallery which is formerly a cinema. It has sculptures by Josep Viladomat, Romanesque models of Andorra buildings and temporary exhibitions. First floor is a library with washroom facilities. Free.
- 5 Water and Madriu Interpretation Center (Centre d'Interpretació de l'Aigua i del Madriu), ☏ . An interpretation museum that draws the linkage between water and the Madriu Valley.
- 1 Caldea, Parc de la Mola, 10, ☏ . The spa/sauna/swimming complex Caldea is located at the top of the town in the large glass spire structure.
The cultural landscape of Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley, which was inscribed in the World heritage list in 2006, can only be accessed on foot. It offers great hiking and climbing possibilities in summer and in winter ski mountaineering or walking with snowshoes is an option.
- One entrance to the valley is a short bus ride or just over an hour walk from the oldest part of Andorra la Vella.
- Start at Estació de Servei REPSOL gas station
- Take Cami de la Muntanya (mountain path) until it crosses a road (Ctra de la Comella i de la Plana) which takes about 20min
- At this point you will be in the valley and can continue hiking on the mountain path for hours
Similar to Andorra la Vella, Av. Carlemany has plenty of brand name fashion, electronics and jewellery. It is worth shopping around to find the best deals.
- 1 Illa, Av. Carlemany, 70. A large commercial centre with several floors of shops, many of which are clothing and fashion stores. There is a food court on the 3rd floor and a supermarket at the basement level.
- 1 [dead link] Marisqueria Don Denis, Carrer Isabelle Sandy, ☏ . A Mediterranean restaurant with local cuisine. The restaurant also has a wall of photos of "who's who" celebrities, politicians and dignitaries eating at the restaurant.
A number of restaurant pubs can be found along Av. Carlemany or its side streets.
- 1 Hotel Oriol, Plaça Co-Princeps 4, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 09:00. Near Andorra la Vella €39.
- 2 Residencia Nuria, Carrer Santa Anna, 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Hotel Eureka, Avinguda Carlemany 36, ☏ . A hotel just beside the Av. Carlemany pedestrian street. The tourism board classifies it as a four-star hotel but it feels more like a two-star hotel.
- 4 Golden Tulip Hotel, Carrer del Prat Gran, ☏ . A hotel with underground parking. Located adjacent to Av. Carlemany pedestrian street.
- 5 Hotel Spa Termes SERHS Carlemany Andorra (Hotel Carlemany), Av. Carlemany, 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 A Casa Canut Hotel Gastronòmic (Casa Canut), Av. Carlemany, 107, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
The stretch of Avinguda Carlemany in Escaldes-Endogrdany that continues west on the same street as Avinguda Meritxell in downtown Andorra la Vella has free public WiFi.
Andorra la Vella is the obvious choice as it is right beside Escaldes-Engordany. You may have crossed the Carrer de la Valira street without realizing that it is the boundary between Andorra la Vella and Escaldes-Engordany.