Annapolis Royal is on Nova Scotia's Annapolis River, about 10km (6 miles) from the Bay of Fundy.
Scottish settlers established Charlesfort, the present Annapolis Royal, in 1629 at the mouth of the Annapolis River. The original French settlement at present-day Port Royal, known as the Habitation at Port-Royal, was settled in 1605.
The French gained control in 1632, with the town serving as the capital of Acadia. Under British control since 1710, it lost the status of provincial capital after the founding of Halifax in 1749.
The British renamed the town Annapolis Royal after reigning monarch Queen Anne (1665–1714). Control of the town has changed many times, with a long history of attacks by the English, French, Acadians and Mi'kmaq.
During le Grand Dérangement, the 1755 expulsion of the Acadian people, 32 Acadian families (225 people) deported on the British ship Pembroke took over the vessel and redirected it to Miramichi, New Brunswick. During the American Revolution, Annapolis Royal came under American attack; after that conflict, it became home to United Empire Loyalists fleeing the United States.
Annapolis Royal faced a total of thirteen attacks, including a raid during the American Revolution.
In the 19th century, it was a local centre for shipbuilding; when sailing ships were replaced by steam in the 1880s, Annapolis Royal served as a coaling station. In 1984, it became the site of North America's only tidal electric generating station.
A bypass highway, NS 101, approximately follows NS 1 but bypasses the town to the south; exit on NS 8 northbound to return to the old road.
Annapolis Royal is a small village that is easily crossed on foot.
King's Transit route 4/4A passes through Annapolis Royal every two hours in each direction M-Sa en route between Bridgetown and Cornwallis.
- 1 Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens, 441 St. George St, ☏ , fax: . Open daily. 17 acres (6.9 hectares) of historically themed areas exhibit gardening methods, designs and materials representing more than 400 of local history. Gardens shop, German bakery and Garden Café.
- 2 Fort Anne, St. George St, ☏ . 2017 hours: May 17-June 15 and Sep 3-Oct 12: Tu-Sa 9AM-5:30PM; June 18-Sep 2: daily 9AM-5:30PM; grounds open year-round. Canada's oldest national historic site. One of the most hotly contested pieces of land on the entire continent. The land on which Fort Anne now stands is part of the traditional homeland of the Mi’kmaq First Nation. A succession of Scottish, French, and English settlers clashed over it, often drawing the Mi’kmaq into their conflict. Fort Anne was the site of thirteen attacks, seven changes of hands, and the ratification of the Treaty of Boston. Adult $3.90, senior $3.40, child or youth free.
- 3 Melanson Settlement, 3870 Granville Road, Port Royal, ☏ . May 15-Oct 10: 8AM-4PM. Former Acadian farm fields developed from marsh land which neighbours protected by a series of dikes. A 193-m loop trail leads to a lookout with original artwork on interpretive panels; the uplands, marsh and river are all visible. Free.
- 4 Port Royal-Habitation, Granville Road, Port Royal, ☏ . A reconstruction of the Habitation (1605), an early French settlement built as an enclosed wooden compound, with costumed interpreters. Late June-early Oct, grounds open year-round.
- The Annapolis Heritage Society. operates three local history museums, O’Dell House Museum (136 Lower St. George Street, +1 902-532-7754), Sinclair Inn Museum (230 Lower St. George St, +1 902-532-0996) and North Hills Museum (5065 Granville Road, Granville Ferry +1 902-532-2168). By donation, $3 recommended.
- Garrison Graveyard Candlelight Tours, ☏ (reservations). Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings through mid-October.
- King's Theatre, 209 St George St, ☏ . 1921 cinema house, rebuilt in the 1980s for live theatre
- Annapolis Royal Farmers' and Traders' Market, St. George Street, opposite wharf/boat ramp, ☏ . Wed/Sat until mid-Oct.
- Leo's Café, 222 St George St, ☏ .
- Old Town Pub, 11 Church St, ☏ .
- Annapolis Royal Inn, 3924 Hwy 1, 1 km west of town, ☏ , toll-free: . Motel with pool, continental breakfast. Double June 15-Oct 15 $130; other times $92.50.
- Garrison House Inn, 350 St. George St, ☏ , toll-free: . Seven-room inn with restaurant in Annapolis Royal National Historic District. $145-185 with breakfast.
- King George Inn, 548 Upper St. George St, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Victorian sea captain’s mansion furnished in period antiques. Full breakfast buffet, eight rooms with en-suite bath, wi-fi, pet friendly, smoke-free, cots and cribs available. Seasonal (mid May-mid Oct). $90-140.
- Queen Anne Inn, 494 St. George Street, ☏ , toll-free: . Restored ten-room Victorian B&B mansion, antique furnishings, private baths, non-smoking. Double $120 with breakfast.
- Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site of Canada is one of the main attractions of the area.
|Routes through Annapolis Royal|
|Yarmouth ← Digby ←||W E||→ Wolfville → Bedford|
|END ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Kejimkujik N.P. → Liverpool|