Ano Doliana is a mountainous village built out of stone in the municipality of North Kynouria, eastern Arcadia, Greece. It extends at an altitude of 950 to 1,050 meters, built amphitheatrically on the northern slopes of Mount Parnon. It is a protected traditional settlement.
It used to be the main residence of the settlers, but nowadays only a handful of them stay throughout the year, as most use it as their summer residence and instead overwinter in Kato Doliana because of the milder climate. In the 2010s, it has emerged as a relatively popular tourist destination, with a significant number of visitors, especially during the winter season weekends.
From Athens, follow the European route E65 to Tripoli. Turn right on the exit to Tegea and Sparta. Drive 3.5 km on the old Tripoli-Sparta national road, towards Sparta. After 3.5 km, follow the sign to Doliana, by making a left turn. After 7.5 km, follow the sign towards Ano Doliana on the right. Finally, after another 3 km, turn right following the sign towards Doliana. The village is less than 5 km away from here.
A personal or rented vehicle is needed.
- 1 Historical and Ethnographical Museum of Doliana (Nikitaras' Bullwark). Nikitaras and his klephts fortified this house during the Battle of Doliana. It's now a museum.
- 2 Saint John's creek. Small waterfall.
- 3 Saint John's chapel. Here, Nikitaras and his klephts spent the night before the Battle of Doliana.
- 4 Bust of Nikitaras.
- 5 Tsakonas ravine. Main theatre of the Battle of Doliana, which took place in 1821, during the Greek War of Independence.
- 6 Small marble theatre.
- 7 Ancient marble quarry. This is where the famous "marble of Doliana" is mined since antiquity.
- 8 Church of Virgin Mary. Main church of the village.
- 9 Church of Saint George. The oldest church of the village.
- 10 Church of Saint Ilias. Little chapel situated at an altitude of 1.280 meters.
- 11 Church of Saint Paraskevi.
- 12 Church of Virgin Mary of Kuvli (Panagia Kuvliotisa).
- 13 Lutsitsa traditional fountain.
- 14 Sopotos traditional fountain.
- 15 Tsirikos traditional fountain.
- 16 Kontis traditional fountain.
- 17 Kontinos traditional fountain.
- 18 Vemmos traditional fountain. Located at Dragouni settlement.
- 1 Chestnut Feast. Organized in late October to early November, when chestnut harvesting is over. Visitors have the opportunity to enjoy chestnuts in many different food and pastry recipes, as well as liqueurs.
- E4 European long distance path. This international trail formed by the European Mountaineering Association (EWV) crosses the settlement, making it a hiking destination.
- Parnon Trail. 200 km of continuous walking trail, within the administrative boundaries of the province of Kynuria, which begins at its northern tip from Kouvlis and Ano Doliana settlements and crosses Parnonas. The specialty of the route is the combination of mountain and sea, as it alternates from the forests of Parnon down to its edges, where you can also hike by the sea and get to know the protected area of the Moustos wetland. In the Southern part of the trail we reach the region of Tsakonia, where the endagered Tsakonian dialect is spoken until today.
- 2 Run Doliana. Since 2015, an annual mountain trail half marathon takes place here, usually between late May to mid-June, alongside a 5-km race for less experienced runners and a 1000-m race for children. It is an event that has been upgraded since 2017 and is under the auspices of SEGAS, Greece's governing body for amateur sports.
- 3 Tselepos Winery, ☏ . Short tour to the vineyards around the Kouvlis settlement and the chapel, followed by a walk to the old water mill, ending up in the winery, in order to be guided through the various wine-making areas, the wine aging vaults and the bottling installations. Your last stop is the wine tasting hall, where you can sample the locally produced Moschofilero wine, plus other labels of the winery. Open to visitors daily by appointment.
- 4 5ΕΝΤΕ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Social cooperative company that organizes tourist, natural, sport, educational and artistic activities in the settlement. Among other things: hiking, biking, archery, paintball, "survival" games, art seminars, team building programs.
- 1 To Hani tou Koskina, ☏ . Homemade cheese products.
- 2 Melaki Dolianon, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Traditional honey products in Kouvlis settlement.
- 1 O Tholos, ☏ . Tavern on the main road of the village.
- 2 To Dragouni, ☏ . Traditional tavern in Dragouni settlement.
- 3 Platanos, ☏ . Traditional tavern on the main square of the settlement.
- 4 Dasiko Horio, ☏ . At the chalet of the environmental settlement that has been built by the local forestry authority.
- 5 To Hani tou Koskina, ☏ . Tavern-grill in Dragouni settlement.
- 1 Onirologio, ☏ . Art café on the main road of the village.
- 2 I Kira Vuli, ☏ . Traditional café on the main square of the settlement.
- 3 Dasiko Horio, ☏ . At the chalet of the environmental settlement that has been built by the local forestry authority.
- 4 To Hani tou Kuvli (Kuvlis' Inn). Traditional coffee shop situated under two large plane trees. It served as an inn for passersby back in the days when donkeys where used as the main transportation means.
- 1 Erasmion, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Traditional guesthouse.
- 2 1821 En Dolianis Boutique Hotel, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Boutique hotel at the preserved, traditional building of the old school of the settlement.
- 3 Dasiko Horio, ☏ . Artificial environmental settlement consisting of log houses, built by the local forestry authority, intended to facilitate short-term visitor stay in relative comfort close to the forest, for recreational and educational purposes.
- 4 O Tholos, ☏ . Guesthouse on the main road of the settlement.
- 5 Hatzigiannis guesthouse, ☏ . Traditional guesthouse.
- 6 "Andromache" traditional house, ☏ , . Traditional house operating as a lodge.