Population around 40,000, so it not like you're getting lost or anything...
- 1 Arendal Tourist Information, Sam Eydes plass 2 (By the Town Hall), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kristiansand airport (KRS IATA) is around 45 minutes away by car, and also has frequent bus service to Arendal. Frequent flights with Widerøe from Copenhagen, Bergen, Stavanger and London-Southend, with SAS and Norwegian from Oslo, KLM from Amsterdam.
The bus from Oslo takes around 4 hours for the 260 km journey.
A sideline takes you from Nelaug Station by the Sørlandet Line (Sørlandsbanen), where it is necessary to change the train to the local train bound for Arendal Station. The railway Sørlandet Line follows an inland route from the larger cities Oslo (to the east), Kristiansand and Stavanger (to the west).
The city center is quite compact, which means that everything is within walking distance.
Setesdals Bilruter operates the white city buses.
Parking might be difficult in the city centre, try the parking houses.
In the city and especially in the outskirts of the city, motorcycle often is the best mode of transport. There are many winding but picturesque country roads to explore. Remember to be aware and follow the speed limits.
- I-Taxi, ☏ .
Please note that using a taxi in Norway is not cheap.
- 1 Pollen (along the harbor pool.). The center of this town consists of the waterfront street along a wharf.
- 2 Arendal Town Museum (Kløckers hus), Nedre Tyholmsvei 14. The city's local museum
- 3 Arendal Old Townhall (Arendals gamle rådhus - Norway's tallest wooden house), Rådhusgaten 10 (Tyholmen). The house is a national heirloom and subject to strict regulations today. The beautiful second floor is used for weddings, concerts, balls, receptions and meetings.
- 4 Trefoldighetskirken (Church of Holy Trinity), Friergangen 2 (in the center of town). An interesting church. It is probably also one of the few churches in the world with a 7-Eleven in its basement.
- 5 Tromøy kirke (church on the island of Tromøya). worth a visit. It dates back to 1150, with significant restoration work done in the 1700s. Some of the interior still dates back to medieval times.
- 6 [dead link] KUBEN (Aust-Agder museum og arkiv), Parkveien 16 (By bus, taxi , car or walk from the towncenter.), ☏ .
- 1 Visit Merdø (A car-free island: A ferry runs several times a day during the summer season. The ferries leave from Pollen harbour pool.). Hike along typical wooden houses and narrow paths, walk on sandy beaches and see the view towards rhe city and the lighthouses.
- 2 Arendal Town Hall (administration- and cultural center). In Arendal Cultural Center there are concerts and theater performances.
- 3 Nes Verk Golfpark (Arendal & Omegn GC), Jacob Aalls vei 53, 4934 Nes Verk (22 km northeast of the city center), ☏ . An eighteen hole golf course, it is one of the largest and best golf courses in Norway.
The Hove Festival is one of Norway's biggest music festivals featuring big international acts in every music genre. It is located at an island called Tromoya, just outside the city centre. The festival mixes large international acts with Norwegian bands in the unique setting of an island outside Arendal city.Besides the music, you'll share experiences from the quirkiest art scenes, watching yet-to-be-released movies and eating delicious ecological food. There is no age limit to the festival and children under 12 are admitted free.
In 2010 the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph pointed out Hove Festival as the best festival in Europe.
Since its startup in 2007 the Hove Festival have had big international acts like The Killers, Jay-Z, Queens of the Stone Age, The Prodigy, Faith No More, Arcade Fire, Slayer, Slipknot, Vampire Weekend and a lot more. The line-up in 2010 includes Muse, Them Crooked Vultures, Massive Attack, Arcade Fire, Paramore, Empire of the Sun and Florence + The Machine among many more.
The festival is easy to reach from Arendal. There will be buses and ferries every 15 minutes from the city centre.
- The city centre
- 1 Harebakken senter, Langsæveien 5 (5 minutes drive north of the city center by the E18 highway). Shopping center.
- 2 Symposium Restaurant, Kirkegaten 1, ☏ . Dishes from the Greek cuisine
- 3 Madam Reiersen, Nedre Tyholmsvei 3, ☏ .
- 1 No1 Sportsbar, Langbryggen 3, ☏ .
- 2 Lille Andevinge, Nedre Tyholms vei 10.
- 3 Barrique øl og Vinstue, Teaterplassen 1, ☏ .
- 1 Hove leirsenter (The island of Tromøya), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: Seasonal. Places for tents, carriages and motorhomes and cabins for rent. Pebble beaches close by.
- 2 Nidelv Camping, Vesterveien 250, 4817 His (The island of Hisøya), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: Seasonal. Places for tents, carriages and motorhomes, flats and cabins for rent. Swiming places nearby.
- 3 Arendal Maritime Hotel, Vestregate 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Thon Hotel Arendal, Friergangen 1 (Tyholmen), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Clarion Hotel Tyholmen, Teaterplassen 2 (Tyholmen), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. At the waterfront of Arendal
- 6 [dead link] Arendal Herregård (Spa & Resort), Hoveveien, 4818 Færvik (At the island of Tromøya, aprox. 5 km from the city center), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Hotell Arendal, Østre gate 2-4, ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: Noon. NOK kr 650.
There are many Wi-fi hotspots scattered around town, including many eateries, cafes and various hotels.
- Grimstad is a city west of Arendal, known as the residence of the famous Norwegian authors such as Henrik Ibsen and Knut Hamsun, its picturesque wooden houses and for good swiming spots for families with children.
- Evje is a village northwest of Arendal towards Setesdal. Here you can go rafting in small rivers and for those who are ineressert in geology, a visit to the Mineral Park in Evje should be mandatory.
|Routes through Arendal|
|Newcastle (no connection) ← Kristiansand ←||W E||→ Risør → Oslo|