Sandefjord is a historical town which has become a modern town of culture with a dynamic business life. The history of Sandefjord has been formed by the Viking Age, the shipping industry and whaling in Arctic and Antarctic areas. Sandefjord has a history of pioneer spirit and creativity, daring and bravery.
The Vikings had their very first settlements in Vestfold. The Gokstad Viking Ship which dates from the year 900 was discovered in Sandefjord. Today one can find a replica of this famous ship (the "Gaia“) down at the harbour. Like the Vikings, the urge to go abroad and explore foreign countries led the first whalers to the Antarctic Ocean. The history of the whalers can be explored at the Whaling Museum and at the Museum's Wharf with a visit aboard the whale-catcher "Southern Actor.“
Sandefjord is also a well-known and frequently visited vacation spot for Norwegians.
- 1 Sandefjord Airport, Torp (TRF IATA) (located 10 km from Sandefjord. There is an hourly train from Torp station to Sandefjord, with a free shuttle bus connecting Torp airport to Torp station.). has flights to some major and minor cities around Norway and Europe, including Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, London, Milan, Gothenburg, Marseille, Pisa, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Nice, Alicante, Malaga, Milano, Prague and Stockholm.
There are self-service luggage lockers at the train station. 40NOK per day.
Nor-Way Busexpress' line 182 goes through Sandefjord.
vestviken kollektivtrafikk  operates a good bus service within Sandefjord and throughout Vestfold. The central bus station is just south of the train station on Møllersgate. Buy tickets on the bus, or buy a travel card at the Narvesen shop at the train station. You can get either a periodekort (period travel card) (unlimited travel in two weeks or a month) or a verdikort (stored-value card) (you must put at least 100kr on to start with, and can then add as much or as little as you like, in the shop or on the bus). The card costs 50kr.
There is a taxi stand at the train station.
- The Whaling Monument is Sandefjord's most famous attraction. It's a sculpture from 1960 showing whalers in action.
- The Whaling Museum (Hvalfangstmuseet), Museumsgata. Gives a very in detail history about whaling in Norway and around the world. It is very in depth, and goes in to great detail about how the whales are hunted and killed so it's not for the easily upset! Also has a collection of mounted Norwegian animals, including a large whale and (downstairs) several whale skeletons.
- The whaling ship "The Southern Actor"
Go for a walk on the Vesterøya peninsula North Sea Trail. Take the 168 bus to the end of the route (Tveitan) and follow the blue tracks (marked Kyststien) around the point. The tourist information centre has maps. Careful, there are only a few buses per day.
Sandefjord has a charming city centre, consisting of a mixture of old and modern buildings and a wide selection of shopping possibilities.
Sandefjord has a good selection of restaurants and cafés. What is possibly one of Norway’s best gourmet restaurant outside Oslo, Solvold, is located here in a modern building near the harbour. Also located at the harbour is the fishmonger well known for the excellent quality of its goods and delicacies.
- Peppes Pizza (At the port, to the east of the Color Line terminal). Good national chain. Kids play area.
- La Baguette, Upstairs at Hvaltorvet shopping centre, Jernbanealleen. Excellent sandwiches. Also have icecream. 60kr for a sandwich.
- ICA, Basement of Hvaltorvet shopping centre (On the Torget (main square) near the corner of Jernbanealleen and Hjertnespromenaden). Supermarket.
- Statoil, Dronningens gate 40 (north end). A garage with grocery store. Open even over Easter when other shops are closed.
- Vinmonopolet, Jernbanealleen 13, 3210 Sandefjord.
- Draaben Bar, Torggata 28, ☎ . 02:30. Small cosy bar with a good selection of whiskies, and cognacs. Often live music in the weekends. Free entrance.
- Andersens Barkjøkken, Hjertnespromenaden 13. High end, relaxed bar-restaurant in an old Swiss villa. Serves tasty bar food. Photo and art exhibitions. Free entrance. 45-135,-.
- Sandefjord Motor Hotel, Fokserød, 3241 Sandefjord, ☎ . 3km from Torp airport (TRF) (135kr by taxi), and well-connected by bus 01 to Sandefjord.
- Apartment Hotel Sandefjord, Bjerggata 57, ☎ . Modern apartment hotel in the middle of the old town in the centre of Sandefjord.
|Routes through Sandefjord|
|Kristiansand ← Larvik ←||W E||→ Stokke → Oslo|