Vestfold is a county in East Norway.
The county administration is in Tønsberg. Vestfold is located west of the Oslo Fjord, as the name indicates. It includes many smaller, but well-known towns in Norway, such as Larvik, Sandefjord, Tønsberg and Horten. The river Numedalslågen runs through the district. Many islands are located at the coast. Vestfold County has a total of 14 municipalities
- Holmestrand is a nice town with a charming harbour. Its nice to stroll in the harbour, or if you prefer woods and hills - its possible to go for long walks by foot in the countryside or in the winter its very good conditions for skiing]
- Sandefjord Torp Airport near Sandefjord has flights to some major and minor cities around Norway and Europe, including Amsterdam, Copenhagen, London, Warsaw, and some tourist destinations in southern Europe. There is a free transfer bus to a nearby railway station.
- Oslo Airport, located 150 km northeast of Vestfold. Major international airport. See the below how to get in from Oslo.
There are car ferries:
- Hirtshals(Denmark)-Kristiansand (Vest-Agder)
- From Oslo or Kristiansand use road E-18.
- If going from Sweden, Denmark or Germany, use one of the car ferries or drive through Oslo.
. The main thoroughfare through Vestfold is the E-18, which will get you where you want to go quickly, but the view is mostly tunnells and forest. To go sightseeing, make detours from E-18, for instance the Hortensveien/Midgardsveien between Horten and Tønsberg along the coast. Or take the road from Larvik to Stavern. A good map is your best friend!