East Atlanta is the recently gentrified district of Atlanta. It includes the growing communities of Inman Park, the popular dining and nightlife neighborhoods of Little Five Points, Virginia-Highland, and Poncey-Highland. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and one of the top U.S. research universities, Emory University, are located in this area.
Part of this district extends into DeKalb County, including the neighborhoods of Druid Hills, East Lake, Candler Park, Edgewood, Kirkwood, and East Atlanta. This article is not to be confused with the neighborhood of the same name. That neighborhood is referred to as East Atlanta Village.
MARTA Rail East-West Line stops in King Center (E2), Inman Park/Reynoldstown (E3), Edgewood/Candler Park Station (E4), and East Lake Station (E5). Interstate 20 is also close.
- Freedom Park/Carter Center
- Highland Avenue
- 1 Fernbank Museum of Natural History, 767 Clifton Road, N.E., ☎ . M-Sa 10AM - 5PM, Su 12PM - 5PM. Special features include displays of Argentinosaurus, the largest dinosaur ever unearthed, and Giganotosaurus, the largest meat-eater ever discovered, and an IMAX theater. The museum also offers Martinis & IMAX, one of Atlanta's most popular "after five" events available every Friday, January through November. Adults $15, Students and Seniors $14.
- 2 Fernbank Science Center, 156 Heaton Park Drive N.E., ☎ . Exhibit Hall Free Planetarium $7.00 adults $5.00 students and seniors.
- 3 David J. Sencer CDC Museum, 1600 Clifton Road NE, ☎ . M - W F 9AM-5PM Th 9AM-7Pm. Official museum for the Center for Disease Control. The only part of the CDC open to the public. Check website for the security checkpoint requirements. Must have photo ID. Free.
- Thumbs Up Diner, 573 Edgewood Ave, SE, ☎ . Known for its great breakfast options, the line is often out the door. Check the house rules before going!
- [dead link]Pure. Same name as the popular Vegas club, Briarcliff area.
- Velvet Room. Formerly located in Midtown, now located at the Northeastern edge of Atlanta.
- [dead link]Joe's Coffee. Easily the comfiest coffeehouse in Atlanta, it sports a mix of hipster and modern decor, free internet, and late hours. If you want a quieter place for an intimate conversation or some great me-time to read your favorite book, come here.
- Emory Conference Center Hotel, 1615 Clifton Road NE (From Hartsfield International Airport take MARTA to the Lindbergh Station. From Lindbergh take the #6 bus directly to the hotel.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3:00PM, check-out: 11:00AM. A conference center hotel in East Atlanta. 32,000 square feet of meeting & event space. Online reservation forms. List of amenities.
|Routes through East|
|West Atlanta ← Downtown ←||W E||→ END|