Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Augusta State Airport (AUG IATA), 75 Airport Rd (Located about 1/2 mile west/northwest out Western Ave (US-202/ME-17/ME-100/ME-1) from roundabout/rotary nearest the State Capitol), ☏ . Small regional airport with regular Cape Air flights to Boston's Logan International Airport.
- Maine Instrument Flight, ☏ . Air charter and private aircraft, 123.00 MHz
- From Portland: take US Interstate I-295 North toward Falmouth; this becomes I-95 North; follow signs for Augusta. Exit at Augusta/Western Ave, and turn right, east, into Augusta; trip is under 60 miles, about one hour total in reasonable traffic.
- From Bangor: Take I-95 South to Augusta/Western Ave, and turn left, east, into Augusta; trip is about 80 miles, a bit under 1 1/2 hours in reasonable traffic.
- From Belfast: Take Maine State Route 3 South (really west/southwest); trip is about 47 miles, or about one hour in reasonable traffic.
- 1 State Capitol Building, State St, ☏ . The west entrance is open to the public M-F, 8AM-5PM. Free guided tours are offered M-F 9AM-1PM. Free.
- 2 Maine State Museum, 83 Maine 27 (Across parking lot from the State Capitol Building), ☏ . Tu-F 9AM-5PM. Sa 10AM-4PM. Closed Su, Mo, and state holidays. Exhibits focus on Maine-specific: natural history; prehistory and archaeology; natural resources and agricultural and industrial history; working people and manufacturing; and identity. Of particular interest is the reassembled two-story woodworking mill. Entrance $2, $1 for children aged 6-18 and senior citizens aged 62 and over, free for children under 6.
- 3 Old Fort Western, 16 Cony St, ☏ . Jul-Aug 10AM-4PM, Sep-Oct F-M 10AM-4PM. Built in 1754, this is the oldest surviving wooden fort in North America (the main house is original). It is a National Historic Landmark. Near the rebuilt stockade overlooking the Kennebec River is a 1912 marker recording the September 1775 departure from the fort of an expedition under Benedict Arnold for the capture of Quebec. $10/adult, $8/concession, $6/child, $25/family.
- video game exchange, 180 water st. sells used games.
Several of the popular chain restaurants are available as well.
- 1 Rebecca's Place, 434 Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Riverfront Barbeque & Grill, 300 Water St, ☏ .
- 3 Lisa's Restaurant and Lounge, 15 Bangor St, ☏ . Good food, great drinks, American food with Mexican items too! Prime rib, rib eyes, etc.
- All Steak Hamburgers, 225 Hospital St. Extremely good all steak hamburgers for less than $2, hot fries, all the food cooked to order. Very reasonable prices.
- 1 Quality Inn, 65 Whitten Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Senator Inn and Spa, 284 Western Avenue @ Turnpike 95, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 3 Best Western Plus Civic Center Inn, 110 Community Dr, ☏ .
- 4 Motel 6, 18 Edison Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- 5 Comfort Inn Civic Center, 281 Civic Center Dr, ☏ .
|Routes through Augusta|
|Bangor ← Waterville ←||N S||→ Gardiner → Lewiston–Auburn|
|Quebec City ← Winslow ←||N S||→ Hallowell → Brunswick|
|Lewiston–Auburn ← Monmouth ←||W E||→ China → Bangor|
|END ←||W E||→ China → Ellsworth|
|Mexico ← Dixfield ←||W E||→ Whitefield → Rockland|