Rockland is a city in Maine that has witnessed a resurgence. Once boarded up shops are now colorfully decorated and the Farnsworth Art Museum and Wyeth Center offer a diverse Maine artisan collection. Rockland plays host to many festivals, including the Maine Lobster Festival and the North Atlantic Blues Festival.
- 1 Knox County Regional Airport (RKD IATA). In Owls Head. Served by various commuter services, including Cape Air. Cape Air offers several flights daily to Boston's Logan Airport.
- Portland International Jetport (PWM IATA). In Portland.
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS IATA). In Boston, Massachusetts.
- Concord Trailways, toll-free: .
- Amtrak. The Downeaster. Take the Downeaster to Brunswick, and then transfer to the Maine Eastern Railroad (seasonal).
- Maine Eastern Railroad. Come aboard restored vintage railcars for a carefree journey through the spectacular scenery of mid-coast Maine, between Brunswick and Rockland.
Besides walking or using a rental car, the best mode of transportation in town is a taxi.
Remember to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks! This is a state law in many other places, but it is strictly enforced in Rockland, particularly along Main Street. You will be ticketed if you fail to yield to pedestrians who are in a crosswalk.
Driving to Rockland from the south along Route 1 can be extremely stressful during the summer months (especially in July and August) as the two-lane road is clogged with traffic (especially in the town of Wiscasset). Many prefer to take I-295 (formerly I-95) north to Augusta, and then take State Route 17 east to Rockland. While longer in distance, the drive is far less stressful and often quicker, despite the longer distance. If you are in no hurry and wish to see many of the wonderful sights to be had along Route 1 between Bath and Rockland, then Coastal Route 1 is the way to go.
- 1 Farnsworth Art Museum, 16 Museum St, ☏ . 10AM-5PM. Daily in summer; closed Monday in other seasons. $10 adults; $8 seniors; $8 students 18 and older; children 17 and younger.
- Maine Lighthouse Museum, 1 Park Dr, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa-Su 10AM-4PM. Largest collection of lighthouse artifacts in the country. It has merged with the American Lighthouse Foundation. In the renovated Penobscot Bay Gateway Visitor's Center. Adults $5, children free.
- Owl's Head Transportation Museum, Route 73, Owls Head, ☏ . Owl's Head has a terrific collection of pioneer-era aircraft and automobiles including more than 100 historic aircraft, automobiles, bicycles, carriages and engines.
There are many galleries, shops, and restaurants downtown. The ferry from Rockland will take you to one of many beautiful working islands, including Vinalhaven, North Haven or Matinicus.
- Windjammer Cruise.
- Breakwater Lighthouse. Walk the 7/8 mile long breakwater to the lighthouse.
- Primo, 2 South Main St, ☏ . One of the top rated restaurants in the state.
- Cafe Miranda, 15 Oak St, ☏ . Offering an exceptionally large number of inventive dishes, many of which are cooked in an open wood-fired oven.
- Rockland Cafe, 441 Main St. A well-prepared, affordable homestyle meal.
- Any of the areas many fantastic lobster pounds, for fresh-off-the-boat seafood. Ask a local.
- Wasses Hot Dogs, 2 North Main St, ☏ . Famous hot dog stand operating since the early 1970s, featuring the excellent hot dogs (fried in peanut oil). They also operate another location in Belfast.
- In Good Company, 415 Main St, ☏ . A wine bar with a varied (and often affordable) selection of wines, ports and beers, as well as expertly prepared appetizers and entrees.
- Waterworks Pub, 7 Lindsey St, ☏ . Beers brewed by local Rocky Bay Brewery and good pub fare. Live music.
- The Lindsey Guest House Inn, 5 Lindsey St, ☏ . Nine-room B&B just off Main Street.
- 1 Berry Manor Inn, 81 Talbot Ave, ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. Twelve-room B&B within walking distance of Main Street. AAA 4 diamond rated.
- Limerock Inn, 96 Limerock St, ☏ . Turreted Queen Anne house, eight-room B&B each with private luxury bath. Three-course breakfast served daily. Offers free wireless internet, has a 24-hour guest pantry stocked with refreshments, and snacks and a business center.
- Hampton Inn, 190 New County Rd, Thomaston. In nearby town of Thomaston.
Daytrips include Camden, Belfast or around the beautiful Saint George Peninsula.
|Routes through Rockland|
|Ellsworth ← Rockport ←||N S||→ Wiscasset → Brunswick|
|Augusta ← Rockport ←||W E||→ END|