Barnstaple is a town of 32,000 people (2018) in Devon, England.
Barnstaple used to be a port and is at the lowest crossing point of the River Taw.
- 1 Barnstaple Tourist Information Centre, The Square, EX32 8LN, ☏ . 10AM-5PM in summer and 10AM-4PM in winter.
Trains run hourly from Exeter Central, taking 70 min via Exeter St David's, Crediton, Yeoford, Copplestone, Morchard Road, Eggesford and Umberleigh.
1 Barnstaple railway station is south across the bridge from town centre. There's a staffed ticket office, machines, toilets, and step-free access to platforms. Nearby supermarkets have stuff to eat.
- 1 Barnstaple Castle.
- 2 Barnstaple Library, Tuly Street, EX31 1EL, ☏ . M Tu Th F 9AM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM.
- 3 Museum of Barnstaple & North Devon, The Square, EX32 8LN, ☏ , email@example.com. Mar-Oct: M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Oct-Mar: M-Sa 10AM-4PM. free.
- 4 Queens Theatre, 100 Boutport Street, EX31 1SY, ☏ .
- 5 Scott Cinemas, 77 Boutport Street, EX31 1SR, ☏ .
- 1 Lets Go, Braunton Road, EX31 1LG, firstname.lastname@example.org. +44 01271 321123.
- 2 North Devon Leisure Centre, Seven Brethren Bank, Sticklepath, EX31 2AP, ☏ . M-F 6:30AM-10PM, Sa Su 8AM-varied.
- 3 Pilton Park.
- 4 Tarka Tennis Centre, 7 Seven Brethren Bank, Sticklepath, EX31 2AP, ☏ .
- 1 Green Lanes Shopping Centre, High Street, EX31 1UL, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 St John's Garden Centre (Jungleland), St John's Lane, EX32 9DD, ☏ . M-Sa 9:AM-5:30PM, Su 10:30AM-4:30PM.
- 3 Pannier Market (next the Guildhall). Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. A large indoor market, opened in the 19th century.
- 1 The Panniers, 33-34 Boutport St, EX31 1RX, ☏ . JD Wetherspoon
- 2 Stag's Head, 28 Bear St, EX32 7BX, ☏ . 10AM-11PM.
- 3 The Watering Hole, 14 Castle St, EX31 1DR, ☏ .
- 4 Wrey Arms Inn, Bickington Rd, EX31 2BX, ☏ .
- 1 Barnstaple Hotel, Braunton Road, EX31 1LE, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Broomhill Art Hotel, Muddiford Rd, Barnstaple EX31 4EX (off B3230 four miles north of town), ☏ . Remarkable colourful hotel with six rooms in a Victorian country house, set in sculpture garden. Great Med cuisine at Terra Madre restaurant. B&B double £100.
- 3 South Town Farm, Loxhore EX31 4SS (ten miles northeast of town), ☏ . Off-grid eco-campsite open May-Sept, ten pitches, no cars. The farm is on National Trust land. Two-person tent £20.
As of May 2022, Barnstaple has 4G from all UK carriers, but coverage of the approach highways is variable. 5G has not reached this area.
- Ilfracombe is 12.4 miles north via B3230.
- Bideford is 10 miles west via A39, with Westward Ho! a mile beyond it.
- Woolacombe is 14 miles north west.
- Exmoor lies to the east.
|Routes through Barnstaple|
|Bideford ←||SW NE||→ Lynton|