Bauchi (earlier Yakoba) is a city in North East Nigeria. This article also covers the city of Kangere, 20 km to the east.
Bauchi has an estimated population of 693,700 and occupies about 5.3% of Nigeria's total land mass. It's the capital city of Bauchi State. Bauchi was also the capital of the Bauchi Emirate, an independent state from 1805 to 1904 when it come under British protection. Several landmarks from the era remain in the city centre.
It is the host of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi State University, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic and Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi. In addition, there is the College Of Education in nearby Kangere.
- 1 Bauchi State International Airport (IATA: BCU, ICAO: DNBC) (Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa International Airport, Bauchi, Nigeria), Ahmadu Bello Way (22 kilometres (14 mi) northwest of Bauchi), ☏ . Bauchi State International Airport is a new airport serving the city of Bauchi, the capital of Bauchi State, Nigeria. It is named after Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who was Prime Minister of Nigeria from 1957–1966. The airport is 22 kilometres northwest of Bauchi. It is 10 km southwest of Bauchi. MaxAir and Aero Contractors have flights to Bauchi from Abuja.
It's fairly easy to get around once you can communicate in Hausa or in English.
- The Palace of the Emir of Bauchi. The building was built of mud in the 19th century by Babban Gwani (Muhammadu Durugu), a 19th-century master builder. He built mosques and palaces in Kano, Katsina, Bauchi and Zaria. It was a fortress built to protect the Emir and his officials.
- 1 Babban Goni Mosque. Built in 1837.
- 2 Tomb of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was the first prime minister of independent Nigeria. The tomb also functions as a small museum and the staff will happily teach you about the early history of independent Nigeria.
- 3 Shehu Azare Park, Sa'adu Zungur Rd. The Shehu Azare Park is located along the Adamu Jumba road in Bauchi. It is beautiful, serene, and well kept environment with a splash of beautiful flowers.A great spot to picnic.
- 4 Wikki Warm Springs. 24 hour. A simply beautiful place inside Yankari resort. The spring is clear a bit warm with a temperature that is constant great place for water games and swimming.
- 5 Yankari Game Reserve. A large wildlife park in the south-central part of Bauchi State, in northeastern Nigeria. It covers an area of about 2,244 km² and is home to several natural warm water springs, as well as a wide variety of flora and fauna. Its location in the heartland of the West African savanna makes it a unique way for tourists and holidaymakers to watch wildlife in its natural habitat. Yankari was originally created as a game reserve in 1956, but later designated Nigeria’s biggest national park in 1991. It is the most popular destination for tourists in Nigeria and, as such, plays a crucial role in the development and promotion of tourism and ecotourism in Nigeria. It is also one of the most popular eco-destinations in West Africa.
- Gurara Waterfalls Gurara is located in Gurara, a local government area of Niger State, North Central Nigeria. The waterfalls is approximately 30metres in height and it lies on the Gurara river along the Suleja-Minna Road.
- Gongola River crosses Bauchi state in Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area in the south and in Kirfi and Alkaleri Local Government Areas in the Eastern part of the state.
- Jama’are River cuts across a number of Local Government Areas in the northern part of the state. Moreover, a substantial part of the Hadeja-Jama'are River basin lies in Bauchi state, which along with various fadama (floodplain) areas in the state provides suitable land for agricultural activities. These are further supported by the number of dams meant for irrigation and other purposes. These include the Gubi and Tilde-Fulani dams. There also lakes such as the Maladumba Lake in Misau Local Government Area that further provide the necessary conditions to support Agriculture.
Bauchi state is popularly known for Yankari Game Reserve. Below are a list of places that can be explored while visiting Bauchi state;
- Unity Park. This is the most visited leisure park in the city along Ahmadu Bello way in Bauchi. It has features like an open theatre, indoor sports hall and a shopping complex
- Shehu Azare Park It is a park located at Adamu Jumba road in Bauchi, a great location overall for sightseeing, recreation, reading and chilling.
- Yankari National Park and Game Reserve.
- The Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium.
- 1 AHZAN Shopping and Retail. 6AM-6PM. One of the 3 main markets in Bauchi town.
- 2 Muda Lawal market, Muda Lawan Market, Bauchi Kasuwar waya, Bauchi (Muda Lawan Market, Bauchi Kasuwar waya). 7.30AM-6PM.
- 3 Muda Lawal market, Muda Lawan Market, Bauchi Kasuwar waya, Bauchi (Muda Lawan Market, Bauchi Kasuwar waya). 7:30AM-6PM.
- 4 MRS supermarket, Jos Rd. Daily 8AM-6PM. In-store shopping.
- 5 City supermarket, Old Musaba Jahun Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-10PM. In-store shopping.
- 6 Arabian Supermarket, Murtala Mohammed way. Daily 8AM-9PM. In-store shopping.In-store pick up.Delivery.
- 1 New Record Resturant, ☏ . They cater to all with exotic food, have drive in and takeaway option.
- 2 Mr Biggs, Yandoka Road, Opposite State Security Service Office, ☏ . 7:30AM-10PM. Fast food joint all over the country for your fast food needs they offer moderately good service. Offer drive in, Takeaway and delivery.
- 3 Shukurah Restaurant, Bauchi, ☏ . Daily 8AM-12:30AM. Dine-in. Takeaway. No contact delivery.
- 4 Barhak Restaurant, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Rd. Daily. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 5 Ifelodun Food Canteen, Station Bass, Beside Ayin shafa Filling Station, Ahmadu Bello way. Daily 8:30AM-10PM. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 6 African Dishes Restaurant, Student Center, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, ☏ . M-Sa 7:30AM-11PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 7 Spice Cafe, no 2 Rimi Road, gra 740102, ☏ . 9AM-8PM. A restaurant where you can get contemporary Nigerian Dishes.
- 1 New TraFord Hotel & bar, Bauchi-Tafawa Balewa, ☏ . Daily. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 2 Ambassador Bar, Yelwatudu Rd, Ahamadu Bello way. Daily 8AM-11PM. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 3 Villa Garden Bar, New GRA, Near Dolphin Maria. Daily 6PM-midnight. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 4 Jenvic Bar, Murtala Mohammed Way. Daily. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 1 Fariah Suites, 12 Club Close, off Attahiru Bafarawa GRA, ☏ . Great location overall for sightseeing, recreation, dining and getting around Classic (₦ 23,000) every evening, Diplomatic (₦ 57,500), breakfast included.
- 2 Bagari Suites, Ahmadu Bello Way, ☏ . A lodging that offers parking, free breakfast, air conditioning and airport shuttle. Queens (₦ 19,800), Suite (₦ 25,000).
- 3 Chartwell Hotel and Suites Bauchi, Rev. Jolly Nyame Road, ☏ . A lodging that offers parking, free breakfast, air conditioning and airport shuttle. Executive(₦ 19,000), Super Executive room (₦ 30,000) and Presidential Suite (₦ 45,000).
- 4 Chartwell Hotel and Suites Bauchi, Rev. Jolly Nyame Road, ☏ . A lodging with fair prices in a very secure environment. Executive(₦ 19,000), Super Executive room (₦ 30,000) and Presidential Suite (₦ 45,000).
Bauchi is a safe state, but in any case, be careful with arrangements or organizations that sound unrealistic (particularly messages mostly via e-mail requesting your assistance), and don't transparently display your assets, particularly in broad daylight places.
It is rare for a tourist to be a victim of a violent crime, it is still wise to stay safe and be alert, especially during late-night outings. Stick to crowded streets and make sure to go out in groups as against going out alone.
Furthermore, you should stick to places and people you know and avoid going anywhere without a trusted guide if it is your first visit.
- Yankari National Park - Wildlife resort that is a must-see once you are in Bauchi state.