Bay Shore is more than 300 years old, having celebrated its tricentennial in 2009, with banners up throughout the town. The hamlet’s population is much more diverse than many other places on Long Island.
Immediately adjacent to Bay Shore, there is the village of Brightwaters.
- Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP IATA). MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma is a convenient regional airport centrally located on Long Island. The primary carrier flying in and out of this airport is the low–cost carrier Southwest Airlines. American Airlines has flights in from DCA IATA (Reagan Int'l) and PHL IATA (Philadelphia).
- For other area airports, see Long Island.
By airport shuttle
- GO Airport Shuttle (WINSTON Transportation Group), toll-free: . GO Winston provides shared van shuttle service to ISP, shared sedan to ISP, private sedan to ISP, private luxury van, minicoach, motorcoach or group tours of NYC & Long Island.
|Major East–West Routes to Bay Shore|
|Route||Route Name||Exit #||Exit Description||Distance to Downtown|
|Northern State Parkway||44||Sagitkos Pkwy–South Shore||8.3 mi (13.4 km)|
|Long Island Expressway||53||Bay Shore||7.9 mi (12.7 km)|
|Southern State Parkway||42S||Fifth Avenue–Bay Shore||2.4 mi (3.9 km)|
|Sunrise Highway||43S||Fifth Avenue–Bay Shore||1.5 mi (2.4 km)|
|Montauk Highway||—||(through route)||You're there!|
The southernmost of these, Montauk Highway, is a local road with traffic lights in many sections. In Bay Shore, it's also known as Main Street.
The rest of these are major east–west routes that run from eastern New York City across Long Island. The best of these travelling to Bay Shore is the Southern State Parkway, a limited–access parkway from end to end.
The major north–south route intersecting these highways is Fifth Avenue, signed as County Road 13. Beyond its intersection with Sunrise Highway, you'll come to the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Howells Road. You'll pass the Bay Shore Fire Department on the left. After about 0.5 mi (0.80 km), northbound and southbound traffic split into separate roads. Southbound traffic continues on Clinton Avenue signed as County Road 13A. You'll follow this into Downtown Bay Shore at the intersection of CR13A and NY27A.
- 1 Bay Shore (LIRR), Railroad Avenue (between 4th and Park Avenues), ☏ 511 (New York State only), toll-free: (outside New York State), (International callers). Trains for Bay Shore are signed for Montauk Branch. It's a one–hour ride from Penn Station in Manhattan or Atlantic Terminal in Downtown Brooklyn; often requires a transfer at Jamaica or Babylon. One–way peak service tickets from New York City can cost as much as $24.00; so, purchase tickets before boarding at the ticket office or from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).
The easiest way to get around Bay Shore is by car. You can also bike or walk. You can't hail a cab, but you can call for one.
- David Brothers Taxi, 88 Park Avenue, ☏ .
- Lindy's Taxt, 140 Heyward St, Brentwood, ☏ , fax: .
- Tommy's Taxi, 88 Park Avenue, ☏ .
|Bus Routes servicing Bay Shore|
|S40||Babylon (LIRR) to Patchogue|
|S41||Bay Shore to Northport VA Medical Center|
|S42||Babylon (LIRR) to Central Islip (LIRR)|
|S45||Bay Shore to Smithtown|
|2A||Wyandanch to South Shore Mall|
|2B||SUNY Farmingdale to Bay Shore|
|3A||South Shore Mall to Hauppauge|
|3B||Gardiner Manor Plaza to Hauppauge|
|3C||Central Islip to South Shore Mall|
There are nine bus routes serving destinations in Bay Shore. Two are through routes; the other seven terminate within the hamlet.
There are three different terminal locations within Bay Shore.
- Bay Shore Mini-Center (Touro College) (located on Mechanicsville Road, one block north of Main Street).
- South Shore Mall (Westfield South Shore) (located at the southwest pedestrian entrance near J.C. Penneys).
- Gardiner Manor Plaza (located just south of Modells Sporting Goods).
For additional information, contact:
- Suffolk County Transit (Have exact fare ready!), ☏ . Phone information available Monday-Friday 8AM-4:30PM. Adults $2.25; seniors, persons with disabilities and Medicare card holders $0.75; children 5 and under ride free (limit 3 children when accompanied by adult.) Transfer: $0.25 - Available on request when paying fare. Good for 2 connecting buses. Valid for 2 hours from time received. Not valid for return trip. Special restrictions may apply (see transfer).
See and do
- 1 Sagtikos Manor (Take Robert Moses Causeway South to Exit RM27A Bay Shore. Turn right onto Route 27A and continue east approximate 0.5 mi (0.80 km).), ☏ . Sagtikos Manor, built in 1697, served briefly as headquarters for the British army during the Revolutionary War. President George Washington stayed there during his tour of Long Island in 1790. Take a tour of the Manor House led by costumed docents and stroll through the grounds and nearby Gardiner County Park.
After you’re done at Sagtikos Manor, you can head east on Montauk Hwy. As you enter the village of Brightwaters, Route 27A becomes South Country Road. You'll pass Brightwaters Canal on your right and as you cross South Windsor Avenue, you will get to...
- 2 Bay Shore-Brightwaters Public Library, 1 South County Road, Brightwaters, ☏ . M-Th 9:30AM-9PM. The library opened in 1907. It underwent major re-construction in 2009 and was transformed into a modern place for learning.
As you continue down Route 27A, it will soon turn into Main Street and on the right at Clinton Avenue is the YMCA.
- 1 YMCA, 200 West Main Street (at South Clinton Avenue), ☏ . M-F 6AM-6PM; Sa Su closed. If you are a member you can go swim, run the track, using the gyms and lift weights.
Also associated with the YMCA and further east is...
- 2 The Boulton Center for the Performing Arts, 37 West Main Street, ☏ . The YMCA Boulton Center offers theatre productions, concerts, film, dance, cabaret, jazz, poetry and play readings, student productions, children’s entertainment, YMCA cultural arts events, lectures, and seminars.
- 1 Westfield South Shore (South Shore Mall), 1701 Sunrise Highway (between East Forks Road and Penataquit Avenue), ☏ . Anchored by Lord & Taylor, Macy's and J.C. Penneys, this shopping center is in a constant state of upgrade since being acquired by Westfield. However, don't look for a book store; you won't find one! For a list of all retailers, click here.
For a list of all restaurants, click here.
- 2 Gardiner Manor Plaza, 834 Sunrise Highway (at Manor Lane). Hours vary by retailer. This is an open-air shopping center. Major retailers include Lowe's Home Improvement, Target, Staples, Modells, Old Navy and Barnes & Noble Bookstores.
- 1 Captain Bill’s, 122 Ocean Avenue (0.6 miles (1 km) south of Main Street), ☏ . Sunday Brunch: 11:30AM-2:30PM; Happy-Hour: M-F 4-7PM. This restaurant in located right on the water. It has a bar and the lunch crowd. During the summe, it has live bands outdoors. Captain Bill’s is upscale and caters for large parties. Sunday Brunch: $31+tax Reservations recommended.
- 2 Coyle's Homemade Ice Cream, 75 Howells Road (one block south of Sunrise Highway at Fifth Avenue), ☏ . Daily 1PM-midnight. Step inside an old-fashioned ice cream parlor and enjoy the taste of fresh ice cream. That's Coyle's. Some booths on the left, a soda fountain on the right and a cornucopia of fresh ice cream flavors to rival Baskin-Robbins' 31. You can't believe how fresh the ice cream tastes!
- 3 Fatfish Wine Bar and Bistro, 28 Cottage Avenue (1 mi (1.6 km) south of Main Street; follow Clinton Avenue, turn right on Bay Avenue, left on Cottage Avenue), ☏ . Su noon–7PM; M–Th 11:30AM–9PM; F 11:30AM–10PM; Sa 11:30am–10PM. Fatfish Bar & Bistro is open year round. Take in the breathtaking views of the bay while enjoying the cuisine of executive chef and proprietor Brian Valdini. The Fat Fish is an upscale restaurant.
- 4 Forum Diner, 315 West Main Street, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S-Th 7AM-midnight; F Sa 7AM-1AM. Online ordering available.
- 5 [dead link] Jon Thomas Inne, 91 Howells Road, Brightwaters (as Howells Road crosses Sunrise Hwy South Service Road), ☏ , fax: . Daily: noon-midnight.
- 6 Leggio’s Delicatessen, 305 4th Avenue, ☏ . Leggio’s is a deli that has been run out of the owner’s house for over 60 years. They make the best sandwiches; it is so worth the wait for the sandwich. You can get a foot long sandwich and a drink for under $5. Leggio’s doesn't look like the cleanest place, but people at know about Leggio’s still go there for lunch.
- 7 Mamma Santina's, 201 Orinoco Drive, Brightwaters, ☏ . M-Th 10:30AM-9PM; F Sa 10:30AM-9:30PM; Su 11:30AM-9PM. It is a hot spot for lunch. During the school year, many students relax and eat a piece of pizza. Mamma's is family-owned that has great prices which goes along with their great food.
- 8 Peter Pan Diner, 999 Sunrise Hwy (at Howells Road), ☏ .
- 9 Swept Away, 25 Bayview Avenue, ☏ . Daily: 11:30AM-1AM; Happy Hour: M-F 4-7PM. A seaside bar and grill. Live music on Friday nights. The kitchen closes Su-Th at 10PM, F Sa at 11PM.
- 1 T.J. Finley's Public House, 42 East Main Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily: noon-4AM. +1 631-647-4891.
- US Post Office, toll-free: .
- To travel to Ocean Beach, Fair Harbor, Dunewood, Atlantique, Kismet, Saltaire, Ocean Bay Park and Seaview:
|Routes through Bay Shore|
|Freeport ← Babylon ←||W E||→ Islip → Montauk|
|Queens ← Babylon ← Becomes Babylon Branch ←||W E||→ Islip → Montauk|