Bayard is 23 miles (37 km) from the city of Scottsbluff and sits along US-26 between NE-92 and NE-62A. Just follow the highway.
The city covers approximately 1 sq km of land. Navigating the town will be simple thanks to the grid pattern. Numbered streets go east-west, increasing the further north they are. North-south streets are labeled as avenues.
- 1 Chimney Rock Museum, 9822 Co Rd 75 (at the junction of NE-92 and US-26, head east and take the first left onto NE-62F), ☏ , email@example.com. May 1-Sept 30 9AM-4PM; Oct 1-April 30 Mon-Fri 9AM-4PM. The landmark stone spire that has served as a guide for travelers on the Oregon Trail. This geologic formation seems to stand alone in the prairie, visible for hundreds of miles. The visitors center tells of the great migration west and the settlement of the area. The visitor center is about half a mile (1 km) from the rock itself. Do not stray from marked trails when hiking due to the increased presence of rattlesnakes. $8 adults, $4 children.
- 2 Bayard Depot Museum, 103 Main St (at the southern most point in the town, by the train tracks), ☏ . 1PM-4:30PM. A small community museum run by volunteers. Housed in an old railway depot, this museum showcases the history of the area and the influence of the railway on life in western Nebraska. Free Admission.
- 1 Chimney Rock Golf Course, 7366 Rd 108 (take US-26 north and turn west on Rd 108), ☏ . Mon-Sat 9AM-8PM, Closed Sun. A public 9-hole course and host to the Bayard Men's Gold Association.
- 2 The Pumpkin Patch at BE Farm, 11249 Road 73 (take US-26 north, follow as it turns west, take the first left onto Rd 73), ☏ . 25 Sept-31 Oct, 10AM-6PM. A local gourd farm providing activities for the Halloween season. Corn maze, pumpkin bowling, and slingshots. You can purchase pumpkins by the pound or by the cartload. $10/person.
- 1 Dollar General, 308 Main St, ☏ . 8AM-9PM. The local grocery store and general store. Everything is cheap but you get what you pay for.
- 1 Corner Cafe, 602 Main St, ☏ . 9AM-9PM. A different menu for each day of the week. This small American diner is a great place for a burger and fries.
- 2 Bobbi Jo's Branding Iron, 537 Main St (on the corner of US-26 and 6th St), ☏ . Tues-Sat 11AM-1AM, Closed Sun-Mon. A small town steakhouse. Fully stocked bar and hosts live music on Friday nights.
There are no motel or hotels in the city. A few campgrounds are scattered around the area.
- 1 Chimney Rock Pioneer Crossing, 10012 Rd 75 (take US-26 south and turn west onto NE-92, take the first left onto Recreation Rd), ☏ . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. Owner says not to enter physical address into GPS. Instead, enter address for Chimney Rock Museum and stop before Co Rd 100. Full RV hookups available during the summer season. Offers tent grounds as well. Campground is less than a mile from Chimney Rock. Souvenir and Ice Cream shop present on site. Rattlesnakes in area. $38/night for RVs, $30/night tents.
- 2 Baynard RV Camp Ground, 1026 1st Ave (located in Baynard City Park), ☏ . An RV park run by the city itself. Permits required if staying longer than 2 nights, can be purchased at the city office. Has trash and water hookups. Church bells ring at 9AM and 9PM daily. First two nights free, after that $10 a night.
- Head west to Scottsbluff and Gering to see the Scottsbluff National Monument.
- Continue further on into Wyoming and visit the capital, Cheyenne.
- Head east to Ogallala and swim in Lake McConaughy.
|Routes through Bayard|
|Casper ← Scottsbluff ←||W E||→ Bridgeport → Ogallala|