Gering, the seat of Scottsbluff county, is a relatively small city south of Scottsbluff. Gering is the oldest of the Scottsbluff/Gering/Terrytown Triplets.
Developed in 1887 on the North Platte River with the extension of the Oregon Trail, Gering retains most of it's "old feel" despite much modern building and renovations. As of the 2010 census, Gering had 8500 people.
In 1887, Gering was laid out southeast of the Scottsbluff National Monument when the Oregon Trail crossed the North Platte River, and then the Western Pacific Railroad crossed the area, providing really easy access to the area.
In 1922, the Oregon Trail Days began their annual celebration in Gering, a well known West Nebraska tradition.
- From the south, travel north on Highway 71, take the Gering exit, turn right onto M street
- or, from the north-west Use US 26 and turn onto Highway 71, take the Old Highway 92 ramp.
For about 2.5 X 2 miles of space that Gering grew up in, everything can be reached by walking except in winter, when the snow can make the city hard to get around in, and driving is preferred. But other than that, walk!
Remember the Grid!
Take your car for convenience for 1/2 mile drives.
Walk to see Downtown; sidewalks are in fair condition.
By public transportation
- Gering is supported by a local bus system, known as the Tri-city roadrunner, which is headquartered in Scottsbluff, but serves the entire area. Two routes run at an hourly basis, so it is a good idea to pick up a schedule and througholy plan your route.
- There are a few handibus systems available, such as the Panhandle Partnership.
Taxis have to be called; don't expect to hail them on the street.
The Western Pacific runs through town. You don't want to hit it at the wrong time, as you will have to wait over 15 minutes for a slow train.
- 1 Scottsbluff County Courthouse, 1725 10th Street Zip: 69341 (Straight Drive up 10th Street, on West side), ☏ . 7:30A to 4:30P Monday-Friday. Scottsbluff County's rather breathtaking law building, you should at least drive by, if you can't do a tour! N/A.
- 2 Gering Civic Center, 1050 M street, ☏ . Depends on show. This is what theatre is! A 300 seat one level complex where Gering's most dramatic come to play. Depends on show; $10-$100.
- 3 Scottsbluff National Monument, 190276 Old Oregon Trail Road (Take the Old Highway 92 west into the monument), ☏ . 8A-5P Everyday. The rock-form that the area was founded nearby offers breathtaking view and curvy roads. Outside of Gering about 2.5 miles. Price N/A.
- 1 [dead link] Monument Shadows Golf Course, 2550 Clubhouse Drive, ☏ . Hours N/A. Nice Public Golf Course for tee time.
- 2 Gering Municipal Swinming Pool (GMS Pool), 96606-99112 South 14th Street, ☏ . 1P-8P every day. Come for a rec swim or lap swim.
- 1 Dollar General, 1645 11th Street, ☏ . 7A-10P everyday. Nice small shop, not a Dollar Tree. Low; 50(c) to $50.
- 2 Fresh Foods Grocery, 1270 10th Street (Just south of M street), ☏ . 6A-10P Mon-Sat 7A-9P Sun. A nice modern grocery store, about 2/3 the size of an average Walmart. (Note: There is a walmart in Scottsbluff). 50c to $50.
- 3 Family Dollar, 1820 10th Street, ☏ . 8A-9P everyday. Discount chain in Gering, not everything is a dollar.
- 1 Gering Bakery, 1446 10th Street, ☏ . 5:30A to 5:30P Mon-Fri, 5:30A to 1P Sat, Closed Sun. Small bakery where donuts, burgers, and cakes come to be made and eaten.
- 2 Runza Gering, 1250 13th Street (On 13th off of M Street), ☏ . German/American fast food chain in Nebraska.
- 3 Log Cabin, 1205 M street, ☏ . 5:30A-8P Mon-Sat 5:30A-2P Sun. A western sanctuary with modern food and classic design.
- 4 Steel Grill, 2800 10th Street (Close to Country Club road (see map)), ☏ . 3P-10P Mon-Fri, 11A-11P Sat, Closed Sun. Mildly energetic tavern between Gering and Terrytown. Often $45+.
- 1 Union Bar, 1403 10th Street (Street Parking on 10th and N), ☏ . 11A-12:30A Mon-Fri, 10A-12:30A Sat, Closed Sunday. Eat, drink, Live music!
- 2 Little Red Liquor, 500 M street, ☏ . 8A-10P everyday. Little Store, Big Taste.
This guide uses the following prices for one room with two queen beds:
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
- 1 Monument Inn and Suites (Microtel), 1130 M street, ☏ . Check-in: 3:00PM, check-out: 11:00AM. Hotel and suites with modest innovations and design, usually a mid-range price, has free breakfast, free parking, free wifi, and vending machines. Does not have pool. $100.
- 2 Circle S Lodge, 400 M street, ☏ . Basic Budget Motel just east of Gering with free wifi, free parking, and the continental breakfast (not free). $51.
Outside Gering in Terrytown
- 3 Arcadia Hotel, 3655 10th Street, ☏ . Has cable TV, minifridges, and complimentary internet. Air conditioned, no pool or complimentary breakfast. $69.
There are no internet cafes in Gering or Terrytown, however most buisnesses and all hotels have wifi to connect. Below is other ways to connect.
- 1 Gering Post Office, 1078 P Street, toll-free: 1 800 275 8777. 8:30A to 4:30P Mon-Fri, 9:45-11:30A Sat, Closed Sun. Deliever your letters here. Gering zipcode: 69341
The Gering/Terrytown area is considered safe.
- 2 Regional West Physicians Clinic (RW Family Medicine), 1275 Sage Street, ☏ . 24/7. Small clinic where you can go to for life's hurting annoyances. For emergencies, the ambulance would escort you to Regional West Medical north of Scottsbluff.
|Routes through Gering|
|Hot Springs ← Scottsbluff ←||N S||→ Kimball → Limon|