Kimball is a very small town in Kimball County, which is in the Nebraska Panhandle. As of the 2010 U.S. census the population was 2,569 people, all living within 2.71 square miles.
Many tiny places hidden in the United States are proud of their home town and Kimball is no exception.
Kimball has historically been called by two different names. Established in 1870, the plot of land that would become Kimball was called "Antelopeville" due to the large population of antelope in the area.
In honor of Uninion Pacific worker Thomas Kimball, "Antelopeville" became Kimball in 1885.
Kimball has seen periods of growth and decline. There was a little over four thousand people residing in Kimball in 1950. With a population half that size today, there remains an open question on what exactly caused the decline.
1 Kimball Airport (Robert E. Arraj Field)
- I-80, take exit 20 for downtown, and 22 for the Nebraska 71 bypass.
Distances between locations in Kimball are short and can easily be traversed by car. Trips are often less than 10 minutes unless you get lost.
You shouldn't remain lost for long, however. The street grid consists of numbered streets running from east to west (higher numbers are in the north) intersection with named streets and avenues that run north and south, on which the first number of the street addresses correlates with the number of the previous intersection. (e.g. 102 Chestnut Street is the first house past the corner of 1st and Chestnut Streets).
In the winter months, utilize caution as driving can be difficult due to the weather.
- 1 "High Point" Welcome Center, 204 Kimball Ave (Just South of I-80 at exit 22.), ☏ . 8:30a-4:30p Mon-Sat. Welcomes you to Kimball and the Nebraska Panhandle, called the high point because the tallest hill is 40 miles SW of here. Kimball is really the high point!
- 2 Kimball Events Center, 615 East 3rd Street, ☏ . Hours and price will depend on show.. Small theater east of downtown at Washington and 3rd. Occasionally hosts shows, events, and gatherings.
- 3 Kimball City Hall (City Clerk Office), 223 South Chestnut Street. 7:30a-4:30p Mon-Fri. Miniature City Hall conviently located in Downtown, nice to look at from outside, ask if there's tours.
- 4 Goodhand Theater, 226 South Chestnut Street, ☏ . Multiple screen theater with good reputation and seniority, being around for over 50 years.
- 5 Frenchman Valley Co-op, 3980 West Main Street (North of town, from Kimball you would turn just after the railroad bridge.), ☏ . Whether you are leaving or entering Kimball, the grain towers are quite the sight, stretching over 150 feet into the air.
- 1 City of Kimball Park, 250 East 5th Street. 24/7. Public Park for all!
- 2 Four Winds Golf Course (4WGC), 4530 Gilliland Drive (East of Kimball on NE-71 Bypass, Take Kimball County Road 32 until KCR 45. take that to Country Club and follow it.), ☏ . Public Golf Course, runs on a tee setup, 18 holes. Unknown Hours/Price.
- 3 Kimball Public Library (KPL), 208 South Walnut Street, ☏ . 10a-5:30p Mon, Wed, Fri; 1p-7p Tue, Thu; 10a-1p Sat. Kimball's place to rent books and read!
- 1 Plaza Antique Mall (Viaero Store), 204 South Walnut Street Suite #1, ☏ . 9a-5:30p Mon-Tue, Thu-Sat; 1p-5:30p Wed. Not really a mall, but has a fair selection of antique items, and is coupled with Viaero Wireless that sells phones.
- 2 Main Street Market, 815 East 3rd Street, ☏ . 6a-8p Everyday. Food and gifts chain that can be found east of Kimball, doesn't have clothing or house hold items. $1 to $75.
- 1 Kimball Bakery, 124 South Chestnut Street, ☏ . A miniature downtown bakery with bread rolls and general breakfast items.
- 2 The 1st Inn Diner (Owned by 1st Inn Kimball Hotel), 1701 South Chestnut Street (County road 41;Old NE-71) (South of town, final intersection before I-80.), ☏ . Mon-Fri 6A-8P; Sat-Sun 6A-2P. A specialty breakfast/lunch/dinner restaurant south of Kimball, directly across the street from the Super 8 motel. $5 to $50.
- 3 Kwik Stop Mexican Stop (Inside of the Kwik Stop gas station), 230 South Chestnut (At the traffic signal, you can turn in from both 3rd Street and Chestnut Street.), ☏ . Unknown/flexible hours. Decent, yet tiny Mexican fast food inside of Kwik Stop, serves tacos, burritos, and everything in between.
- 1 Java Blend, 123 South Chestnut Street, ☏ . Mon-Fri 8A-7P; Sat 8A-3P; Closed Sundayq. Coffee and snack espresso building, with classic wood design.
- 2 Kimball's Bar & Loathing Grill, 206 South Chestnut Street, ☏ . Mon-Fri 10A-1A (Closes at 1A the next morning); Sat 11A-1A; Sun 12P-1A. A bar and grill combination: food, drinks, music, parties.
- 3 Windbreak Bar/Restaurant, 4552 Gilliand Drive (Check outand use the Four Winds Golf Course directions, except you turn left onto Gilliand, instead of right into the parking lot.), ☏ . Tue-Thu 11A-8P; Fri-Sat 11A-9P; Sun 11A-6P, Closed Monday. Tavern with wine and beer on tap, full restaurant with American culture foods.
Go on the interstates, and you will be led to explore the grandeur of the High Plains!
- Gering is a nice small city that is about 55 miles north of Kimball on NE-71, lots of history
- Scottsbluff. You can't consider the Scottsbluff/Gering/Terrytown area done just by visiting Gering. Have to visit all three, including the largest, Scottsbluff, which has a zoo and historical theater.
- Sidney: Closest city on the list at only 30 miles east, museum.
Out of State
- Cheyenne is the largest city in Wyoming that annually holds the largest Western event, CFD, with rodeo, night concerts, and parades. So diverse that you feel like you aren't in Cheyenne the entire time! 63 miles west on I-80.
- Denver is the huge capital of Colorado, with 650,000 people and all that a big city offers (once you get past the congestion of I-25, of course). 150+ miles via I-80/I-25 or 200+ miles via I-80/I-76.
- Rapid City, the charter city of Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, alongside Keystone. 241 miles via NE-71/SD-79/US-18.
|Routes through Kimball|
|Rock Springs ← Cheyenne ←||W E||→ Sidney → North Platte|
|Rock Springs ← Cheyenne ←||W E||→ Sidney → North Platte|
|Scottsbluff ← Gering ←||N S||→ becomes → Jct W E → Jct W E → Limon → La Junta|