Baytown is a city in Texas. When you are in Baytown, you can rest assured you are in one of the most industrialized places of the world. With Exxon's Baytown Refinery on the west, Chevron's Cedar Bayou Plant on the northeast, the Covestro Baytown Industrial Plant on the east, and a smattering of other industries in between, you're likely to see flare stacks and storage tanks or tanker cars wherever you go, and might think you need a gas mask. But, in spite of this, there are still natural and cultural attractions to behold. And Garey Busey and Renee Zellweger used to call this place home.
- 1 Baytown Historical Museum, 220 W Defee St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-2PM. Art and history exhibits, like Umbrella Alley (corridor with suspended umbrellas above type of scenario)
- Evergreen Point Golf Club, 1530 Evergreen Rd, ☏ . 18-hole golf course.
- 1 Baytown Nature Center, 6213 Bayway Dr, ☏ . Daily 6:30AM-6:45PM. Uplands, marsh, and wetland habitat where some 300+ species of birds have been noted and where you can view a variety of grasses and hike 7 miles of trails. On site is a designated bird sanctuary and butterfly garden. $4 adults, $1 children.
- 2 Pirates Bay Water Park, 5300 E Rd, ☏ . $20 adults, $15 children (under 48 inches).
- Houston Raceway Park, 2525 S FM 565 Rd, ☏ . Major Motorsports venue, fast cars and family fun.
- El Toro Mexican Restaurant, 1301 Decker Dr, ☏ . The freshest Tex-Mex, Margaritas, Lunch Menu, etc. Catering available.
- Quality Inn Baytown - Houston East, 5222 I-10 East, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. This hotel has an outdoor pool, microwaves and cable TV. 62 rooms.
- Extended Stay America, 7212 East Point Blvd., ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. An extended stay hotel with an outdoor heated pool, a fitness center and free wireless high-speed Internet.
The Baytown police are a little paranoid about outsiders and have accosted visitors. If you are doing anything as suspicious as photographing in the direction of the refineries, you might be stopped, searched, and held for a long time.
|Routes through Baytown|
|San Antonio ← Houston ←||W E||→ Beaumont → Lake Charles|